Wanna buy an AK.

cybe

Zastava PAP or spring for the Arsenal SAM7UF? Something else? I'm a long guy, so I'd like a long stock. I'd like a smooth action and milled receiver. I like folders, either way is fine. I'm a buy-once-cry-once kind of guy generally, but the PAP seems a good bang-for-buck.

Please post your glorious rifles.

Underfolders absolutely suck to shoot. Sidefolders don't suck, but aren't nearly as comfy as fixed stock. For a target AK fixed stock is the way to go.

Never had an arsenal so can't say first hand how they are. Furniture is cheap and not difficult to swap. A milled receiver will be noticeably heavier, and won't appreciably increase performance although it will feel less janky in your hands.

Why do you want an AK over a different platform? If you know what it is and realistically expect AK performance and ergonomics, you'll be happy. If you're expecting AR ergos with rem700 accuracy and HK quality, prepare for disappointment.

Whatever you get, check for canted front sight block, where the front sight is adjusted to (at windage/elevation limits) and double check all screws/rivets/etc for tightness, seems like more AKs slip through QA than others.

Zastava PAP or spring for the Arsenal SAM7UF? Something else? I'm a long guy, so I'd like a long stock. I'd like a smooth action and milled receiver. I like folders, either way is fine. I'm a buy-once-cry-once kind of guy generally, but the PAP seems a good bang-for-buck.

Please post your glorious rifles.

Of those two choices, go with the Yugoslavian PAP. Unless you are a collector, and care about the fine details of each part, you will only be paying more for the Arsenal name. The quality isn't really any better and the customer service from Arsenal if you do have a problem is not good.

I own a lot of Kalashnikov rifles from all over the World and in many different calibers and this is how I'd rank them as far as quality:

1) Finnish Valmet M76, M62 (.223, 7.62x39)

2) Israeli Galil (.223 or .308)

3) Polytech Legend series with milled receiver (7.62x39)

4) Yugoslavian M70 (Mitchell Arms imports 7.62x39 and .308)

5) Norinco varieties (.223 and 7.62x39)

If you don't mind shelling out the cash, the preban factory AK rifles are much nicer than the stuff being produced today.

• 2 weeks later...