Stereo Upgrade Advice - For my Regular Cab truck

spankis

I've never seen a lot of car stereo discussion on here, but I figure there has to be a few knowledgeable people around. I'm using a bit of my tax return to replace the shit stereo in my truck, and I'm very open to opinions.

Currently:

-Factory 4-speaker Non-Infinity Stereo (no factory amplifier to bypass)

-Factory 5 1/4" Speakers in rear of cab

-Factory 6x9" Speakers in Front doors

-NO 3.5" Speakers in dash (mounting buckets exist for factory uprade stereo, but no factory speaker wires to dash)

Planned:

-Replace factory headunit with aftermarket (likely Pioneer)

-Remove factory door speakers and factory speakers in rear of cab, replace with some combination of 4 new speakers (size and location to be determined)

Here's where I need advice.... I could replace the factory 6x9s in the front door with better 6x9s, and replace the rear 5 1/4" with an upgraded 5 1/4". Also, instead of 6x9s, I could also install component 6.5s in the front doors with an adapter ring/spacer. A third option could include ditching the rear cab speakers altogether, and wiring quality 3.5" speakers in the dash locations.

I'm up for adding a small 4 channel amp under the seat or behind the dash if its worth doing. I have no plans to add a sub at this time, and would likely only do a slim 8 or 10" down the road. Obviously I'll be missing the low lows without a sub, but what combination of 4 speakers will give me a the most well-rounded, full range system without enormous gaps in frequency? Thanks in advance.

If you are not planning on the Sub I would move as much air as possible with 6X9's (Agreed 6.5 components are nice).

I also like the mid grade Infinity speakers and suggest those for the both locations

Craiglist guy has a good looking used set of 6.5's and 6x9's (Do now know this person from Adam)

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/4862332943.html

Tweeters in the dash would be nice (Right in the face off the windshield - but then would require additional wiring)

Small Alpine amp would work (mrp-f300 would be fine and available used or new just about everywhere)

Just my two cents

Thanks for the replies. For what its worth I listen to literally everything, generally excluding rap but occasionally including dub step type stuff.

I'm leaning more toward Polk 6x9 DB's most likely in the doors, but still torn between keeping the rear 5.25 location active with an aftermarket pair or abandoning them in favor of a 3.5" pair in the dash location. There are very few 6x9 component sets that I've come across, or that might an option too.

The rear speakers are in a bad spot though, low on the back wall about waist height when sitting, but are a larger cone than a 3.5. I understand the dash locations are way better in terms of "imaging" but will add no bass, and I may even want bass blockers on them if i run them off the head unit correct?

Edited by spankis

If it was my truck and I didn't want to do a sub, I would buy the best 6.5 components for what I wanted to spend and a small 2 channel amp and be done. Forget the 3.5 and the rears.

If you wanted to consider a sub later on buy a 4 channel amp now and just use 2 channels or wire the components up on all 4.

If it was my truck and I didn't want to do a sub, I would buy the best 6.5 components for what I wanted to spend and a small 2 channel amp and be done. Forget the 3.5 and the rears.

If you wanted to consider a sub later on buy a 4 channel amp now and just use 2 channels or wire the components up on all 4.

Several other people have suggested doing 6.5 components alone as well actually. Assuming I'm amping them with adequate power, are there 6.5s that can truly hang with the low end of a 6x9?

Any suggestions on a capable component 6.5? I used Polk 6.5 components in my Stealth and was really happy with them honestly, but I was using a separate pair of 6x9s to support the low end, as they were not real bassy.

I havent had anything with 6x9's since the late 90's so I cant really compare them to anything recent. I also thought they were crap though...maybe things have changed. Ive had a couple setups with only 6.5's and while they will never have lots of bass I felt like it was plenty for most types of music and moderate to slightly loud levels. I even remember powering a set of decent coaxials with a little 50x2 amp that was semi-impressive for a minimal investment.

I havent been in the market for anything in quite a few years so I dont know whats out there now. Ive had Boston Acoustic, Focal, Polk and a few others but like I said that was 5-6 years ago. Search around for whats available for your budget. Quite a few component sets can be mounted like coaxials so that might ease your install if thats a concern. I would definitely recommend some sort of amp for whatever you decide to buy even it's small.

I also made a thread on caraudio.com, but wanted to run it by here also. I've done a bunch of reading this weekend.

Here is what I'm considering:

HU: Pioneer DEHX9600BHS

Front Doors via 6x9-6.5 adapter: JBL P660C (2ohm)

Rear 5.25: Alpine SPS-510 (4ohm)

Amp: Blaupunkt EMA 455 (600w, 2 ohm stable)

Seem reasonable? Are the rear 5.25s a waste? If so, I'd consider a different 6.5 and amp most likely. Not an issue running 2 ohm fronts and 4 ohm rears to a 2 ohm stable 4-channel correct?

Most modern amps will run 2/4 ohm fine (Agreed) and remember you will need to compensate with the gain control for the speakers running at half the impedance. I have always liked the Pioneers (I have a similar one in the Z4M). Sorry no experience with Blaupunkt amps (Always used Alpine or Linear versions)

GL with the install and I am sure you will like it a lot over the stock one in the truck.

seems like a good setup. why not skip the rears for now but still go with the 4 channel? this way you can add the rears later if you arent satisfied with just fronts or even consider a sub later on if you want. Im sure the price increase is somewhat minimal between the 2 and 4 channel amp.