How do i find the ip (public/external?) address of my security dvr?

Ramsey

We switched isps and im trying to set up our security dvrs for mobile viewing.

Im pretty sure i can handle port forwarding and setting up the internal static ip, but i how i figure out the external or public ip? is it the same as a computer on the same network. Like whatsmyip.com?

uoesnt that just show internal ips?

Save the trouble. She's cheating on you.

it's for work.

http://www.whatismyip.com/

:thumbup:

KillJoy

As I asked in op, that will show ip to computer, what about the dvr? Or is it only one ip going out of router?

Make sure you've changed any default passwords before you do the port forwarding.

Otherwise the whole internet will be watching your cameras.

Noted. This includes anything on different routers from the same modem?

uoesnt that just show internal ips?

it's for work.

As I asked in op, that will show ip to computer, what about the dvr? Or is it only one ip going out of router?

Whatismyip.com will give you your external IP that is reachable from the outside( anywhere other than your local network.) That is indeed what you're looking for.

and yes, that includes anything on the same modem.

Heres what you do from start to finish:

Find the address of your DVR. Its likely 192.168.1.X

In your router settings, set up port forwarding on the appropriate port to that address.

Access your DVR by typing in the address you get from http://www.whatismyip.com followed by : then the port.

Most likely, the DVR does not have a Public IP. If it does, you should know what it is, as you are paying for it.

What is the internal IP of the DVR?

KillJoy

It's always a good idea to change the default passwords. Let me try to explain how port forwarding works though as quickly as possible.

If you had one computer and it was directly connected to the internet (which is a BAD idea) you would have an IP address 123.456.789.1 and all ports accessible (65K of them). You would talk to a specific application on that computer with 123.456.789.1:80 for instance, where 80 is the port.

If you are behind a router that 123.456.789.1 will go to the router, the computer is hidden behind an internal address e.g. 192.168.0.100. If you try to connect to 192.168.0.100:80 from the internet you will not get to your computer. If you try to access 123.456.789.1:80 from the internet you will not get anything either since your asking the firewall for it's application on port 80.

This is where port forwarding comes in. You tell the router to forward any traffic it gets on a given port to 192.168.0.100 port 80. You can use a different port on the firewall than what the application actually runs on. We'll use port 8888 as an example.

So we tell the router whatever you get on port 8888 send it over to 192.168.0.100:80. So now when we access 123.456.789.1:8888 from the internet it will work. Only the single port that is forwarded from the computer is exposed to the internet, all other ports stop at the firewall.

You can forward many different ports to many different computers on the internal network.

Going to whatismyip.com will always give you the internet address of your router, 123.456.789.1 in this case. Since you are probably not paying for a static internet IP this address is subject to change, it all depends on your ISP how often that happens. I've had the same one for well over a year. The solution to this is DynamicDNS which is a whole other subject.

If you are port forwarding you want to setup the internal address for that device as a static address so it never changes, otherwise you may end up forwarding the port to a different computer.

Clear as mud? ;)

It's always a good idea to change the default passwords. Let me try to explain how port forwarding works though as quickly as possible.

If you had one computer and it was directly connected to the internet (which is a BAD idea) you would have an IP address 123.456.789.1 and all ports accessible (65K of them). You would talk to a specific application on that computer with 123.456.789.1:80 for instance, where 80 is the port.

If you are behind a router that 123.456.789.1 will go to the router, the computer is hidden behind an internal address e.g. 192.168.0.100. If you try to connect to 192.168.0.100:80 from the internet you will not get to your computer. If you try to access 123.456.789.1:80 from the internet you will not get anything either since your asking the firewall for it's application on port 80.

This is where port forwarding comes in. You tell the router to forward any traffic it gets on a given port to 192.168.0.100 port 80. You can use a different port on the firewall than what the application actually runs on. We'll use port 8888 as an example.

So we tell the router whatever you get on port 8888 send it over to 192.168.0.100:80. So now when we access 123.456.789.1:8888 from the internet it will work. Only the single port that is forwarded from the computer is exposed to the internet, all other ports stop at the firewall.

You can forward many different ports to many different computers on the internal network.

Going to whatismyip.com will always give you the internet address of your router, 123.456.789.1 in this case. Since you are probably not paying for a static internet IP this address is subject to change, it all depends on your ISP how often that happens. I've had the same one for well over a year. The solution to this is DynamicDNS which is a whole other subject.

If you are port forwarding you want to setup the internal address for that device as a static address so it never changes, otherwise you may end up forwarding the port to a different computer.

Clear as mud? ;)

Sweet. We normally have 5 static ips for each store.