Herniated disc - treatment

nurkvinny

Mine is upper back. C5/C6. First few months, shooting pain down my right arm. My thumb is constantly numb. I did the cortisone shots, 3 treatments and that shooting pain has been gone for 1.5 years. I still get some pain everyday, but very tolerable. The first doctor told me i need to do fusion surgery. I got a 2nd opinion and he gave me 3 choices to try. Surgery was one, shots was 2nd (although he warned me that this usually is temporary), and physical therapy or some sort of exercise.

I tend to crack my neck alot more since all this has happened. I don't think this hurts/helps me any but what a bad habit to start. I never did this before it all started.

Anyhow, the shots seems to have helped me with the shooting pain. I'm trying my best to avoid surgery. I know my is upper back/neck, but shots may help relieve pain till you can start up some routine of exercise/therapy to help maintain that pain free feeling.

Hope everything works out, this getting old stuff is getting old quick!

-D

Right butt, down right leg. Bottom of foot numb. Outside of calf numb.

Exact same symptoms as my roommate except I believe it's his left. He said it's like someone is constantly pinching his ass. His left foot clunks on the ground as he walks.

It's gotten better for him since November but the pain is still ther. Last week for two days straight he said he couldnt piss normal. It took forever to piss and never got a full stream.

This. Any person willing to put another through that kind of pain for a material object is a worthless piece of shit.

I hope that dude nuts up, gets his back fixed and plows every other piece of ass out there.

I'm having my own medical problems right now and it's causing black outs. His wife told him that if I die out here in ND he better hold it together. We've been best friends for almost 30 years.

Cortisone is different that what I am talking about for shots and what this guy had mentioned I believe. Cortisone is like water to me....I had an Epidural Injection under x Ray done into my Spine between the joints and even that didn't touch my pain. I basically eat all the drugs they will give me, even though I know its not good for me, its how I cope and keep from having another surgery which may or may not help me at all. Whats messed up is the first surgery I had last January (2014) happened on an emergency basis when I basically fell in the shower and couldn't get up. Went to ER where I couldn't even walk in on my own accord and the Dr there on call thought I was at potential risk of Cauda Equina Syndrome, which is very dangerous and they operated on my within 12 hours of my hitting the door. I felt like a million bucks after this surgery within hours and was ready to go home and run laps.....This lasted about 3-4 months and I did great and then one day just leaning against my counter BS'ing with friends in my kitchen, I must have moved or leaned just right and it nearly buckled my to my knees but went away. I knew something didn't feel right after that, went to Dr for MRI again and sure enough I had a recurrent disc herniation of the same level (S1/L5) and was in extreme pain again in a matter of days. I haven't been pain free since May of 2014 no matter what I do even after having a surgery in early may and then again in early June. Now I'm in the process f trying to take some weight off because I put on about 35 pounds after the last round of surgeries because of the pain and my immobility. I am determined now to try to lose 40-50 pounds and see if this helps relieve some pain instead of trying to do a fusion which has no guarantee of working at all. I would like to find out more about this Dry Needle Deal though....I always feel like I have knots in muscles that you just cant reach, especially under my shoulder blades.

Exact same symptoms as my roommate except I believe it's his left. He said it's like someone is constantly pinching his ass. His left foot clunks on the ground as he walks.

It's gotten better for him since November but the pain is still ther. Last week for two days straight he said he could piss normal. It took forever to piss and never got a full stream.

This is bad.....If its to the point he cant urinate properly, this is a Sign of Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES) like they thought I had and can do permanent, irreversible damage and he needs to get checked out immediately.....No Joke man.

This is bad.....If its to the point he cant urinate properly, this is a Sign of Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES) like they thought I had and can do permanent, irreversible damage and he needs to get checked out immediately.....No Joke man.

He supposed to be going back to medical place today. The two shot he had were the same as what you got under X-ray or MRI or something. They cost him 1400 for the two...

Cortisone is different that what I am talking about for shots and what this guy had mentioned I believe. Cortisone is like water to me....I had an Epidural Injection under x Ray done into my Spine between the joints and even that didn't touch my pain. I basically eat all the drugs they will give me, even though I know its not good for me, its how I cope and keep from having another surgery which may or may not help me at all. Whats messed up is the first surgery I had last January (2014) happened on an emergency basis when I basically fell in the shower and couldn't get up. Went to ER where I couldn't even walk in on my own accord and the Dr there on call thought I was at potential risk of Cauda Equina Syndrome, which is very dangerous and they operated on my within 12 hours of my hitting the door. I felt like a million bucks after this surgery within hours and was ready to go home and run laps.....This lasted about 3-4 months and I did great and then one day just leaning against my counter BS'ing with friends in my kitchen, I must have moved or leaned just right and it nearly buckled my to my knees but went away. I knew something didn't feel right after that, went to Dr for MRI again and sure enough I had a recurrent disc herniation of the same level (S1/L5) and was in extreme pain again in a matter of days. I haven't been pain free since May of 2014 no matter what I do even after having a surgery in early may and then again in early June. Now I'm in the process f trying to take some weight off because I put on about 35 pounds after the last round of surgeries because of the pain and my immobility. I am determined now to try to lose 40-50 pounds and see if this helps relieve some pain instead of trying to do a fusion which has no guarantee of working at all. I would like to find out more about this Dry Needle Deal though....I always feel like I have knots in muscles that you just cant reach, especially under my shoulder blades.

This is what i had done. But yes, xray did Epidural Injection in spine where the herniated disc was, cortisone shot to the spine. I don't know what else they use, but that's what was used for me. I know this may be temporary, but the intense pain is gone. I still get them once in a while, but not all the time like i use to.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, about a month later, been thru 4 weeks of Physical Therapy and pain keeps getting worse. Been bed/couch bound since Thursday night. Can't walk more than a few steps without ass and leg catching on fire. Kills to stand long enough to take a piss. Oxycodone takes the edge off but not even long enough to shower. Thinking I'm about out of options. Weed maybe? ;)

Well, about a month later, been thru 4 weeks of Physical Therapy and pain keeps getting worse. Been bed/couch bound since Thursday night. Can't walk more than a few steps without ass and leg catching on fire. Kills to stand long enough to take a piss. Oxycodone takes the edge off but not even long enough to shower. Thinking I'm about out of options. Weed maybe? ;)

Vinny, I know it's scary and I'm no doctor and don't know much about your injury, but mine was larger in displacement and I had a laminectomy done without issue. Instant pain relief and while mine was 20 years ago (perhaps less recovery time now) given the procedures likely better, I was up and about with normal life in less than a few months. Been 98% ever since. Every now and then the twinge of a bad movement will hit me but overall It's the best thing. I'm in my mid 40's now and couldn't imagine not being able to function.

Get in to see my buddy Derek snook. You likely need surgery. Tell him Kirk sent you.

Get in to see my buddy Derek snook. You likely need surgery. Tell him Kirk sent you.

I think the ortho surgeon I'm dealing with works with him... Dr. Hannalah. Know of him?

Looks like this has a very high success rate. Still very spooky to envision sharp objects digging around near my spinal cord.

I think the ortho surgeon I'm dealing with works with him... Dr. Hannalah. Know of him?

Looks like this has a very high success rate. Still very spooky to envision sharp objects digging around near my spinal cord.

Hannalah montanalah is ok. Derek is better.