Podcasters

Brandon

For awhile now I have been into podcasts. They are in my opinion, the ultimate form of "talk" radio with out a bunch of crap I don't want. I have about a dozen channels I listen to regularly and then a few others from time to time (benefits for working from home right now).

So what channels do some of you listen to?

example, my channels; WTF, Smart Passive Money, Madmoney, Joe Rogan, Arsecast, Freakonomics, Smart Money, and a few others. I tend to find business oriented channels, and a few opinion casts.

Additionally while I have been listening for some time, I also have the bug to create my own Podcast once a week. I have many ideas, but not sure which direction I want to go yet. When looking for a new Podcast, what content are you all after?

Being car guys, do any of you listen to car "themed" casts? If so what ones, I have a few ideas in this segment I think would be pretty interesting.

If you're not into podcasts, try it, lots of great content.

I stopped reading at Joe Rogan

I didn't make it past madmoney. I'd sooner take investing advice from reading the entrails of a seagull I eviscerated (as practiced by the Romans to read the future) than take advice from Jim Cramer.

- Freakonomics

- NPR's Planet Money

- This American Life

- The Moth Radio Hour

- A prairie Home Companion: News from Lake Woebegone

- The Smartest Man in the world

- Nerdist

-Stuff you missed in History Class

- Stuff you should Know

- Adam Corrolla's carcast

- RadioLab

- 3 kevin smith podcasts: Smodcast, Hollywood Bable-on, Jay and Silent Bob get old

- Make magazine (when available - it's been intermittent).

I used to listen to the garagepunk podcast network for trash rock and old forgotten R&B as well as Punky radio for obsucre english punk rock (florida rocks again and Hot Slop were favorites). I also used to watch the Scam school video podcast because I liked learning barroom magic tricks when I was still going to bars (in the pre-kids days). I used to have a job where I could sit at a computer and go under the hood for 8 hours and just crank out podcast but now if I get to listen to 3 a week I think it's a miracle. It's good in the garage background noise too.

I have been meaning to start listening to WTF but my podcast library is shrinking not growing right now so probably not going to happen, though Maron's Rollins interview was pretty awesome. I used to Listen to Mohr Stories but Jay Mohr's rhetoric and self deprecation got kind of old.

I have never found a good motorcycle podcast simply because the ones where people know what they are talking about the hosts always feel awkward and the ones where they aren't they are about as familiar with the subject matter as a turnip. I used to listen the the Car stuff podcasts but found them too "beginner level" although some of the weirder stuff like the half trax used on jungle expeditions in the 20's was kind of cool to learn about. Honestly I wish there was a "Roadkill" podcast because I could listen to Finnegan and Friedburger jaw about just about anything.

as for doing your own...well...in college I had a blues radio show on college radio (mid-1990s) and the one lesson I learned from that is it doesn't matter what you say, you must be interesting to listen to. If you aren't, then learn it. Radio chops can be taught but it takes practice. Try doing one just on your computer for you to listen to. Count the number of times you say Um or Uh and the number of times you hit dead air for a second or more. If it is more than twice for either then you have some practicing to do.

I didn't make it past madmoney. I'd sooner take investing advice from reading the entrails of a seagull I eviscerated (as practiced by the Romans to read the future) than take advice from Jim Cramer.

- Freakonomics

- NPR's Planet Money

- This American Life

- The Moth Radio Hour

- A prairie Home Companion: News from Lake Woebegone

- The Smartest Man in the world

- Nerdist

-Stuff you missed in History Class

- Stuff you should Know

- Adam Corrolla's carcast

- RadioLab

- 3 kevin smith podcasts: Smodcast, Hollywood Bable-on, Jay and Silent Bob get old

- Make magazine (when available - it's been intermittent).

I used to listen to the garagepunk podcast network for trash rock and old forgotten R&B as well as Punky radio for obsucre english punk rock (florida rocks again and Hot Slop were favorites). I also used to watch the Scam school video podcast because I liked learning barroom magic tricks when I was still going to bars (in the pre-kids days). I used to have a job where I could sit at a computer and go under the hood for 8 hours and just crank out podcast but now if I get to listen to 3 a week I think it's a miracle. It's good in the garage background noise too.

I have been meaning to start listening to WTF but my podcast library is shrinking not growing right now so probably not going to happen, though Maron's Rollins interview was pretty awesome. I used to Listen to Mohr Stories but Jay Mohr's rhetoric and self deprecation got kind of old.

I have never found a good motorcycle podcast simply because the ones where people know what they are talking about the hosts always feel awkward and the ones where they aren't they are about as familiar with the subject matter as a turnip. I used to listen the the Car stuff podcasts but found them too "beginner level" although some of the weirder stuff like the half trax used on jungle expeditions in the 20's was kind of cool to learn about. Honestly I wish there was a "Roadkill" podcast because I could listen to Finnegan and Friedburger jaw about just about anything.

as for doing your own...well...in college I had a blues radio show on college radio (mid-1990s) and the one lesson I learned from that is it doesn't matter what you say, you must be interesting to listen to. If you aren't, then learn it. Radio chops can be taught but it takes practice. Try doing one just on your computer for you to listen to. Count the number of times you say Um or Uh and the number of times you hit dead air for a second or more. If it is more than twice for either then you have some practicing to do.

Yes, I have been "casting" with myself and trying to get the audio/editing/tone/content down; albeit at and armature yet seemingly professional level. I need to practice some interviews to get that down a bit then just try it. Additionally I am trying to find a good build for a cast, think how this american life formats their pod, or wtf, or freakonomics ect.

It seems business oriented pods are fairly common and many have been done, although there are some many different avenues I think the could still yet be room for more. There are a lot of start up pods, market pods, mutual fund pods, so on and so for...

In the car world, that is s different beast. There really is not as much content, and maybe that is because car guys as a demographic are not pod guys, which is more so what I am afraid of in trying to make a cast worth while in this segment. I am not trying to make income, really just fulfill a passive interest and share information. I think having a pod cast of automotive technical information would be bewildering and entertaining...eg interview factory engineers, who designed this that or the other and why, or interview aftermarket lynch pins like HP tuners founder, how did they start it, how it works, and putting it in context people understand and adding banter. Everyone wants to know how cars work if they have any passion for them imo, so why not have a channel not just on opinion of a car and how it preforms, but meet the behind the scenes guys so to speak...maybe just and idea.

I have been kicking around starting a car/racing pod cast for a while now. With my contacts I figured I could get people to interview no problem, the technical end has kept me away from doing it since it will take a lot to do right.

I have been kicking around starting a car/racing pod cast for a while now. With my contacts I figured I could get people to interview no problem, the technical end has kept me away from doing it since it will take a lot to do right.

The technical side is not that bad to be honest you would be surprised.

Think starting "small" and improve it. Most these pods start as one man gigs and grow from there.

There are a couple drag racing pod casts out there, don't let that stop you if you're interested, think on improving it.

The technical side is not that bad to be honest you would be surprised.

Think starting "small" and improve it. Most these pods start as one man gigs and grow from there.

There are a couple drag racing pod casts out there, don't let that stop you if you're interested, think on improving it.

I put a lot of thought into it and plan on starting very small to get a feel for it to make sure the final product is what I want.

My pod cast will go well beyond drag racing since I love all forms of car related insanity. Drag racing is just where I make the most money currently.

I listen to Podcast primarily for the music not the talk content. Follow my favorite DJ's and their current sets every week. Currently that consists of: Hardwell, Dannic, Nickey Romero, Tritonia, Above and Beyond, Dyro, Gareth Emery, Tiesto, Paul Oakenfold.

When I do listen for talk content it's only when I know for sure there's an automotive theme that I"ll follow. I found Rogan to be surprisingly good, but the only one that really kept my attention was the Chris Harris interview I posted here. Even his interview with big Porsche guys Magnus Walker and Alex from Sharkwerks bored me after about 20 min and I turned it off. I've tried several times to be interested in Adam C.'s podcast knowing he's a hard core car guy and it's his voice or something that turns me off and makes me not want to come back for more.

A few friends and I thought about trying our own and none of us ever had the time to get it off the ground.

This is the only one i listen to, just started listening last week. Quite good IMO

I don't know how you people do it, he repeats the same crap over and over, and doesn't really know what the hell he is talking about half the time. Not to mention when he asks people to throw money to his Paypal account, every 25 minutes :lolguy:

I listen to Podcast primarily for the music not the talk content. Follow my favorite DJ's and their current sets every week. Currently that consists of: Hardwell, Dannic, Nickey Romero, Tritonia, Above and Beyond, Dyro, Gareth Emery, Tiesto, Paul Oakenfold.

When I do listen for talk content it's only when I know for sure there's an automotive theme that I"ll follow. I found Rogan to be surprisingly good, but the only one that really kept my attention was the Chris Harris interview I posted here. Even his interview with big Porsche guys Magnus Walker and Alex from Sharkwerks bored me after about 20 min and I turned it off. I've tried several times to be interested in Adam C.'s podcast knowing he's a hard core car guy and it's his voice or something that turns me off and makes me not want to come back for more.

A few friends and I thought about trying our own and none of us ever had the time to get it off the ground.

Look up the "Going Quantum" podcasts on youtube. I think you might like those.

In the car world, that is s different beast. There really is not as much content, and maybe that is because car guys as a demographic are not pod guys, which is more so what I am afraid of in trying to make a cast worth while in this segment.

I don't know if I agree with this statement. I know I listen to podcasts and I am a car guy. I know plenty of others who are car guys who listen to non-car podcasts. I think youtube channels have proven there is a need for this type of content - I just think that 90% of the content in this genre is absolute crap. It took me two months to get over Adam Corolla's nasal "chewing his own face" voice and once I got past it I found his content good. Not great, but on par with other non-automotive podcasts in terms of listen-ability. I think the market is there - just need to find the right host and format.

I am not trying to make income, really just fulfill a passive interest and share information.
This is the best attitude to have. Just have fun and be natural.

I think having a pod cast of automotive technical information would be bewildering and entertaining...eg interview factory engineers, who designed this that or the other and why, or interview aftermarket lynch pins like HP tuners founder, how did they start it, how it works, and putting it in context people understand and adding banter. Everyone wants to know how cars work if they have any passion for them imo, so why not have a channel not just on opinion of a car and how it preforms, but meet the behind the scenes guys so to speak...maybe just and idea.

Again you have to find the right presenter. You run the serious risk of the type of information becoming extremely droll or boring. My advice is to go watch the old speedvision "Victory by design" program. I could listen to Alain de Cadenet tell me he murdered my parents and I now have to become batman and I would smile and thank him for it. He is a perfect example of someone presenting sort of dull technical information in an engaging way.