Buyer information on notarized title?

greg1647545532

Went to my bank this morning to have a title notarized, and the guy wouldn't do it without the *buyer's* info filled in. It's been a while since I've sold a car in Ohio, is that normal? I suppose it does say as much right there on the title, but I don't remember having to do that.

(Edited to correct stupid mistake)

Edited by greg

The part that's actually notarized is the seller information. Buyer parts can be left blank.

Shit, complete brain fart. Yes, meant to say buyer information. IIRC in the past, I've had the seller part filled out and notarized and just handed the title over to the buyer for him to fill in his own name. Not sure what state(s) that's like, though. I did most of my buying/selling in Nebraska.

I've sold a few cars and had the title notarized with just the seller's info filled out because the buyer wouldn't be able to see the vehicle until after the banks had already closed. Doing so is kind of risky because you are expecting the buyer to be honest and get the title switched over quickly, not months or years later.

I've sold a few cars and had the title notarized with just the seller's info filled out because the buyer wouldn't be able to see the vehicle until after the banks had already closed. Doing so is kind of risky because you are expecting the buyer to be honest and get the title switched over quickly, not months or years later.

If the seller stuff is notarized, though, you should be able to fill in the buyers' name on the spot. That's my plan, at least. You always run the risk that the buyer won't actually title it, but I've taken to making duplicate bills of sale so I at least have some record that the thing is no longer mine.

Although as I look at this title I realize that the previous owner is not the person I bought it from, and I remember that I had gotten the signed title she had given him and he'd just never registered it. I hate that. Fortunately there weren't any problems.

I sold my motorcycle in Texas last fall and did this -- don't believe the title needed to be notarized, but apparently it's common for the title to change hands multiple times without ever seeing a government employee. Things work differently there, registration is for a set time and can transfer with ownership.

On the back of your current title, complete the new buyers name and address, plus the purchase price. Complete the odometer certification area stating the mileage as it appears on the odometer. Under the mileage area is the seller's notary section, which must be completed and notarized. Next, the buyer must acknowledge the mileage as stated by the seller by filling in his signature and printing his name. Please note that you are attesting to the actual mileage of the vehicle. The seller should make a copy of the front and back of the assigned title and remove the plates from the vehicle.

A lot of notaries will not notorize an open title anymore, from what I hear the state has been cracking down on it (guess the state wants their money so they don't like floated titles).

This...

Too many folks are trying to flip cars and avoid the (I believe) 6 cars per year limit without a dealers license. A notary told me they had received notice from the BMV that they could lose their license if they were caught notarizing open titles.

(and I'm sure the want of additional tax revenue is a big part as well)

This...

Too many folks are trying to flip cars and avoid the (I believe) 6 cars per year limit without a dealers license. A notary told me they had received notice from the BMV that they could lose their license if they were caught notarizing open titles.

(and I'm sure the want of additional tax revenue is a big part as well)

Last time I checked its 5 in a 12 month rolling period

This is easy just find a family member willing to put it in their name easy peacy