ECTA: Ohio Mile May 2-3 — Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge

Geeto67

http://ecta-lsr.com/

http://ecta-lsr.net/events/hot-rod-top-speed-challenge/

Every Spring beginning in 2005, Hot Rod Magazine has sponsored the annual Top Speed Challenge, run by the ECTA at the Maxton mile-long course initially and now on the beautiful course in Wilmington, Ohio.

The prestigious Top Speed Challenge jacket is awarded to the racer who turns in the fastest time in each of Street and Super Street classes at the

ECTA season opener in May. All cars competing for this coveted prize must be street legal, and otherwise prepared in accordance with the ECTA’s rules.

If the thought of street legal cars going over 200 mph catches your interest, you’ve got to come and watch, or better yet participate! Watch for the

coverage in Hot Rod Magazine, as well. We at the ECTA thank them for their interest in land speed racing and their excellent coverage of this event

and others.

about the track

http://ecta-lsr.net/welcome-to-ecta-lsr/about-the-ohio-mile-track/

The Ohio Mile

Located at Airborne Park, southeast side of the town of Wilmington, Ohio just off Interstate 71 midway between Cincinnati and Columbus.

Track entrance is off of Airborne Road. An address to use for your GPS is 2870 Old State Road 73. This is a business across the street from the entrance of the track.

Elevation is 1077 feet above sea level

The track is 9000 feet long by 150 wide offering two 33 foot wide lanes

The finish line is one mile from the start. You are timed in a 132 foot trap, one at the half mile and one at the finish line.

Please Note: The Wilmington Airpark is Class D Airspace during the week and Class E on the weekends (when the tower is not in operation)… It's is not a Public Airport, Prior Permission is required to land there, It's NOT normally granted, It is not available to the racers or spectators as a place to land and come watch the races. It is a Federal offense to trespass on this property.

Cars and Motorcycles compete at all events. With over 4400 classes, we are sure you can find one for you!!!

Event Rainout Policy

If an event is cancelled by the ECTA because of inclement weather, pre-paid entry fees can either be applied to a future event or refunded. There will be a $50 processing charge.

Hell yeah maybe bring my bike out. Or just for kicks my expedition Haha

Make sure you read the tech sections and the rule book before you plan on showing up for a run. This isn't just show up in a t-shirt and jeans on your 'busa and make a kamikaze run to top speed for a mile down the runway - this is class based racing with a strict tech inspection and licensing qualifications like they do at Bonneville.

doesn't hurt to try. depends on whether your rust is structural or surface. I think you are limited in the licensing runs anyway to 115mph until you have made two passes, so pick a class, safety wire a bunch of crap, and make your licensing passes. Then go home, prep the truck for real and come out at the end of the season to set a record.

You make it sound like something someone can do on a lark ....... maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Please share what it's going to cost someone to do just what you propose:

something like membership + registration for first event + registration for second event

just that is $500, isn't it? Plus the time investment of at least 3-4 days, plus fuel and safety mods.

I love the Ohio Mile, but I'd advise anyone considering it to do as Kerry advised and read the rules first, then talk with someone who's gone through the experience before deciding to drop the coin to begin the process. I've been there on a weekend where some only got a total of one run in two days because of the weather. Cost them $275 for the honor of going 110 mph, plus it was just one of the required safety runs so they still didn't get to make an attempt at a qualifying run. They don't refund your money just because of rain/wind. They don't refund your money if you can't pass tech.

Edited by Doc

I don't at all, at least I am not trying to make it sound like something can be done in a weekend. I posted the ECTA site and there is a lot on there to read about how to do this and get into it.

If someone out there wants to get into LSR I don't want to discourage them, but Doc you are 1000% correct this isn't a weekend pass test and tune at a drag strip - it is class based sanctioned racing and it costs money and time and preparation. I tired it once and failed miserably and it cost a small fortune. So far everything I have said has been prefaced by read the materials and rulebook which is a good start to realizing how serious an event this it.

Since you have the most experience here, maybe you would like to elucidate as to what really goes into racing with the ECTA with a production vehicle? as that seems the most attainable for some members.

I had posted this because I plan on spectating and I imagine others want to spectate as well. There are going to be some awesome street cars and bikes there, some of them going over 200mph in a mile stretch. I'd say that is worth the price of admission.

Also the ECTA is always in need of volunteers and maybe some from here want to sign up to work the weekend to help foster local racing events? Plus you get to know everyone involved.

Well, Josh (GOT-BUSA) probably has more experience in the standing mile than I do and has motorcycle experience in the Mile, which I don't. He doesn't just run at Wilmington, either. There are two or three others who are members here and have run at Wilmington. Joe (Yarp) comes immediately to mind.

I'm happy to help anyone who wants to know more. I have three years' worth of rule books at the Hangout for people to look at. I've loaned the current year's book out twice so far. Anyone is welcome to PM me and to pick my brain.

There have been about twenty threads on CR about the Ohio Mile discussing people's experiences participating as well as spectating. As a start, this is a longer one with lots of questions: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102799&highlight=wilmington

This is from the last time I competed: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117655&highlight=ohio+mile

I think it's a great experience and is cheap and easy to spectate. I personally wouldn't be interested in volunteering because of the time commitment. I've mentioned in another thread that there will be for the first time at Wilmington a HALF-mile event for time slips only, July 11-12.

I've also mentioned before that I think it would be great to take a group of CR members down to spectate and cook out. Wagner has gone a few times and has some great photos and stories of the people and machines that race there.

• 2 weeks later...