Help - Valve seal replacement on Supra

IBAUCLAPlaya

Hi there,

I had a thread back from last year describing some issues I've been having with smoke, either at cold startup, or when driving and letting off the throttle.

Consensus seems to be valve seals, but I still haven't ruled out turbo failure.

Recently I replaced my exhaust with 100% straight pipe from the turbos back. Since doing this, I've noticed a pool of oil in the exhaust...to me this sounds more like it could be turbo failure, but not sure.

Does anyone have experience on Supras, and would be willing to look into this, help me diagnose the problem, and resolve?

I'm on the east side of Town in Hilliard, and of course willing to compensate.

Let me know.

Matt

Assuming a MK3 supra? If so, it's probably both. Easy way to check (well maybe not so easy if you're still CT26) but take the center section out of your exhaust housing or take the manifold off the head and check the ports for oil. Oil before the turbo=valve stem seals.

Edit. Remember you have a MK4. Still stock twins? Taking the twins off may prove to be even more difficult than at CT26, but the same principle still applies.

So you haven't done valve stem seals, right?

The only sure fire way to check is pull off the intake and exhaust manifold and see of oil is sitting on top of the valves. You could pull a plug out and check as well, but if your intercooler piping has oil in it then there is no telling whether or not it (the smoke) may be from both the turbos going bad or the valve stem seals. If it is at start up and idle I'll put my money on valve stem seals. If it's more frequent then that I'll say turbo seals.

The valve stem seals on all the 1jz' and 2jz's go bad so you might as well replace them and go from there.

Just out of curiosity are you running more than ~14# on the stock twins? This will more often than not kill those carbon seals in them. I agree with Grant. The parts aren't expensive, it's just a little labor intensive pulling the cams and springs to replace them, but can be done in a day.

Mkiv. On stock boost levels. I can buy the parts, but really looking for someone with experience to help me through this. I have air tools in my garage, or I'd be willing to drive anywhere in the area on a Saturday or Sunday for help.

You're going to need one of these to begin with:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/sexicivic2000/1620.jpg

and one of these

http://lextreme.com/valve/vs_04.jpg

The first one is a snap on valve spring compressor tool for OHC engines. The second one is the other half of a compression tester. You hook your air compressor up to it to keep the valves seated after you pull the keepers/retainers/valves. Might as well do timing belt, water pump, front main seal, timing belt tensioner, and cam seals while you're in there. If you're planning on doing cams/springs at some point, now would be the time to do them as well.

Not just the mkiv, been the same with all cars I own. Plus wouldn't say I necessarily know how to drive it either...

I'm good with nuts and bolts, but anything else like timing, wiring, etc I don't trust myself.

Anybody willing to help, let me know.

Not just the mkiv, been the same with all cars I own. Plus wouldn't say I necessarily know how to drive it either...

I'm good with nuts and bolts, but anything else like timing, wiring, etc I don't trust myself.

Anybody willing to help, let me know.

Just sell it to me. I'll take care of her.

Been a long time since I autox'd, plus Supra is a very different animal than AWD wrx.

Been thinking about this some more...since the oil is pooling up inside the exhaust, wouldn't this point more to turbo seals?

Not necessarily. To be 100% sure, you'll have to pull the manifold and look inside the ports on the head. Could be valve stem seals, could be turbo seals, could be both.

Thanks for the feedback. At this point, I'd like to take it to someone who knows what they're doing to diagnose and fix. Does anyone have experience with slow motion motor sports in Sunbury?

Why not a Toyota dealer?

I've had some bad experience at Toyota dealers, with very inexperienced techs, mis-diagnosing problems and not admitting they messed up.

Looking for a speed shop with Supra experience on things like this. I would imagine most Toyota techs have never cracked into the head of a Supra and replaced valve stem seals...

• 4 weeks later...
When a similar issue happened to my supra it ended up being the turbos needing rebuilding/replacing. If I remember correctly, the money it took to replace to stock turbos was similar to the single turbo upgrade so I opted for that option (t72) and ended replacing the valve seals as part of the work as well. Is not a difficult task but time consuming nonetheless. Have you found someone in the area to work on your car? Try at the supraforums.com they may be able to help best.