The right tool for the job and training

Mojoe

I often tell people, when looking for a gun, buy it for a purpose. You have to have the right tool for the job. If you're pulling the motor out of a car, a sledge hammer isn't likely the first tool you use. Although, sometimes you may want a multi tool. To me, those are your common AR's and most semi auto combat or carry pistols.

I was contacted last week by someone who is a contractor with Triple Canopy, to set up some training. They had been told about me from a soldier I currently work with. We went over the things they wanted to work on, and it all came down to the basics. Any of you who have had a class with me know, I love slowing things down and shooting very strict, to focus on just the basics. There was a particular course of fire they wanted to get better at, and I was very familiar with it. When most people think of government contractors, visions of special ops and paid assassins, tend to come to mind. Not all of them are at that level though. When I met the with the student, it turned out we use to work together years ago while they were still in the military. So, I know they have at least a base layer of what I was going to cover. The student showed up in some pretty sweet gear. I'm not going to lie, their tactical pants were pretty amazing, and cost $250. Their holster and mag setup was pretty sweet too. Their handgun was one I'm pretty fond of, as well as their AR they brought.

I put all the students’ guns aside, and said we are starting with my .22 pistol. For 90 minutes we went through my drills. I often make students shoot until they are fatigued, and then keep them going, giving short breaks. This establishes muscle memory and increased discipline, while getting rid of sloppy structure and bad habits.

Then, we switched to shooting rifle. For this, the AR they had was not set up for them to do what they were telling me they wanted to do. Hit targets with iron sights. The AR platform is all math. Everything has all been worked out for you. But people love the Magpul Mbus sights, and manufactures put them on weapons to sell them. In my opinion, they are almost useless. It's like buying a C7 ZO6 and tuning it to run on 2 cylinders. I explained the equipment that was needed to be capable of accomplishing what they wanted. Basically, your standard issue equipment. I keep mine set up the way, because it's what I know and am comfortable with. We trained on my gun and again drilled the basics. Things came together very well in a short time. They had struggled in the unsupported and kneeling firing positions. In the end, their shots were on the 300M silhouette in all shooting positions. Remember, it's all math with this gun. You can shot at 25M on a reduced silhouette and train the same as shooting at 300M.

Rested from shooting handgun, we got right back into it. Here's what I love about having the time and space to train like this, the student makes their own corrections and is effective. I know they were getting tired. We spent another hour working on small things and ten is all started to click. They shot 12 gauge empty shells off the frame of my targets, and transitions to other targets at varying distances. 5 shotgun shells in a row were hit at 21', and steel out at 25M.

And now my selfish part, the smile and pride in hitting what they were aiming at and knowing they weren't going to miss. The student was a bit giddy. I love seeing that and being part of it. We wrapped up the class with a few different fun shoots. I shoot with my students. If I can't show them it can be done, why trust what I'm saying. I'm not the best shot, and I do miss from time to time. You don't need $5000 worth of gear and weapons. All you need it a good gun, time, and 2500 rounds of training to get to know the gun and be proficient with it.

5 hours of shooting went by and they left yawning and happy. By the way, I forgot to mention the student was a female.

Thanks for reading.

+1 I had been shooting for +\-15 years before I spent an afternoon with Joe. I shoot better now than I ever did before just by slowing down and focusing on the basics. Keep up the good work and hope to shoot with you again soon.

What, girls can shoot?

:wtf:

KillJoy

:gabe:

I held of saying that, because people create an image of contractors, and I would guess many were not thinking the student was a women.

+1 I had been shooting for +\-15 years before I spent an afternoon with Joe. I shoot better now than I ever did before just by slowing down and focusing on the basics. Keep up the good work and hope to shoot with you again soon.

Thanks, David. I've been fortunate to work with people, like yourself, who have a desire to learn and a good ability to apply the steps.

I held of saying that, because people create an image of contractors, and I would guess many were not thinking the student was a women.

Women are "better shots" than Men. They are more patient and take their time. They also take instruction VERY well, and have no ego to fill.

My Wife out-shoots me EVERY TIME, if I do not plan out each shot!

:fuckyeah:

KillJoy

Joe, your explanation is very understandable about gear vs. Aptitude. Is it fair to say that in LR shooting that the equipment matters a lot more (ie - a better setup can equal better results)? I noticed a huge improvement when I put my action/barrel in a chassis and a even better improvement when I put an aftermarket trigger in it (bolt gun).

Joe, your explanation is very understandable about gear vs. Aptitude. Is it fair to say that in LR shooting that the equipment matters a lot more (ie - a better setup can equal better results)? I noticed a huge improvement when I put my action/barrel in a chassis and a even better improvement when I put an aftermarket trigger in it (bolt gun).

Admittedly, anything over 500M, I don't have that much experience with. I'm a bit on both side with distance shooting. I think a $300 bolt gun with good glass can hit a 1000m target. The consistency of the impact point with multiple shoots will be far more challenging to achieve though. I think more precision and consistency, with less effort and being subjected to the many variables of distance shooting, will cost more in equipment. Upgrading parts for smoothness and ability, will always perform. But, I think you can still get there, in many cases with less. I don't get into the long range talk much, simply because I myself have not been behind the trigger enough over 500M.

As for "a better set up can equal better results". The basic fundamentals still have to be there. Breathing, trigger squeeze, position, sight alignment and picture. I teach starting with 3 of these as a focus, and then we build up to about 11 things coming together for each shot.

I hear ya, and I will say, My consistency increased 5-fold when I got the new trigger. It can get VERY frustrating when shooting out to 1,000 yards if you "swear you did the same thing" and the projectile does not report. I think the new trigger disallowed the ability to anticipate the shot. It was very "instant" instead of "planned".

I will say this (gun first, then optics)

GUN - A 300 dollar bolt gun (Savage Axis) will get you to 1,000... Now, a matter of "how often" you make hits is a different story. A 450 dollar bolt gun (Remington 700 with varmint barrel) will get you better odds at getting hits. And, a 4500.00 bolt gun (AIAX) should get you even more hits... but maybe not enough more to justify the extra 4K. But, the idea for making hits is to eliminate as many weak links as possible and there aren't many to be had with an AI.

OPTICS - I believe, that the same rule applies as above. a second focal plane (cheaper than First FP) will have a unique set of challenges if not on full magnification. ALSO, most lower end scopes do not have enough MOA/MILS to dial into 1,000 (assuming we are using 308) and I have seen guys with 600 dollar vortex Viper (NON PST, NON FFP) have to hold over 20 MOA just to have the projectile land "pin high" (golf term) near the target. As far as optics go...

"Can a man hit 1000 yard target with a 100 dollar scope?" - YES

"Will the scope hold up over time due to the recoil?" - Maybe

"Will the scope be clear enough to make proper element evaluations at distance?" - Maybe

"Will the scope have enough built-in elevation" - Probably not

As I'm sure you agree it is important to eliminate potential problems and disadvantages with equipment. I do also agree that equipment "need" for tactical/self defense is vastly different than 1,000 yard bench shooting! :)

After reading this I want to sign up for one of your classes. You sound like someone I NEED to learn from :)

Thanks, Eric. Let me know when works for you and we can go over what you want to work on and talk details.

While all of it makes improvements, a good shooter should be able to max out a guns abilities so to speak. While all of the add on and accessories help to make it easier you shouldn't NEED them to make you capable.

While all of it makes improvements, a good shooter should be able to max out a guns abilities so to speak. While all of the add on and accessories help to make it easier you shouldn't NEED them to make you capable.

Ryan, I agree that certain products can help increase the positive results. I think LR shooting is one of those niches where "you at least need X" in order to have a certain amount of success. Also, "buy once cry once" applies as well. What is the point in buying gear that you are going to sell in a year or two for a 20-30% loss because you wanted to upgrade to gear that is going to help increase your abilities that were previous limited by gear?

Joe, I wanted to clarify. You teach tactical pistol classes/courses? That would be fun to do a group CR course (if you'd be up for that). Or, even a group "basics" class for those wanting to learn (myself included).

A capable caliber and skill. This clip, though it is Hollywood, is not unrealistic.

Ryan, I agree that certain products can help increase the positive results. I think LR shooting is one of those niches where "you at least need X" in order to have a certain amount of success. Also, "buy once cry once" applies as well. What is the point in buying gear that you are going to sell in a year or two for a 20-30% loss because you wanted to upgrade to gear that is going to help increase your abilities that were previous limited by gear?

Joe, I wanted to clarify. You teach tactical pistol classes/courses? That would be fun to do a group CR course (if you'd be up for that). Or, even a group "basics" class for those wanting to learn (myself included).

See above.

Weapons and equipment have come a very long way. But, it still comes down to math, skill and a weapon being capable.

I teach basic pistol and CCW. There are plans for other classes. But, the format is not finished. For private classes, I focus on what the student wants to work on. Most of it has come down to improved accuracy with handguns. With the new range set up, there will be far more options for a variety of target engagements. However, the focus will stay at less than 100M. I don't consider what I teach to be tactical, so far. I don't like saying "Advanced XXXXXX class". I got burnt last year going to an "advanced carbine class" with a well known company. To me, it sucked. I'm not SF, or MARSOC, but they taught day one of basic training like it was the shit. I never want someone I work with to feel like that. 90% of the people out there would benefit from learning the basics in a structured way.

There will be some classes in the future that focus on heart rate/stress shoot. The shooter will be moving from target to target, dealing with making a rushed shot and having some physical fatigue. We did some of this last year, and that was a big push for me to bring in all the dirt and shape the new range area. It's still very small time and private. That said, we could do a CR basic pistol class. I would want to keep it to 4-5 people, and it would probably be a 4-6 hour class.

Good read. Don't forget Arnold. ;-)

Thanks. How did I leave him out?

Edited by Mojoe

After reading this I want to sign up for one of your classes. You sound like someone I NEED to learn from :)

My wife and I are interested as well as possibly a couple of friends. Distance is the challenge with us though, being so far away.