2014 Nissan Altama

Johny Utah

I had a pair of Altamas I loved, until my dog chewed them up. They fit perfect and were pretty tough. Hard to beat the performance for the price, although if you can afford it SFBs or Rocky C4s will probably help your run times.

Be careful if you're ordering online, because a 10.5R may actually be like a 10 or 11 or worse. Altama sizing LOL

we drove a Nissan something with a CVT in Texas as a rental car, fucking hated that thing, no power and the rubber band trans made me want to light it on fire. not sure if it was the Altima, if it was I'm sure it wasn't the S

This times a million. I had a 2014 Altima rental car with 2500 miles on it - CVT and a 4 banger. Because of this car any time a rental agency asks me if a Nissan is ok, I ask for just about anything else. The interior was nice enough, the car size was fine, but the drive-train and handling made me want to light it on fire. I honestly thought it was the worst car in the world until I rented a Chrysler 200.

I've always had issues with Nissan. My parents keep buying them for some reason. They had a 1995 Maxima, 1998 Altima, and a 2003 Maxima. Nothing really major has happened to them, but a lot of little things. Sunroofs, brakes, finishes peeling. The "best" was the 1998 Altima. 4 cylinder with a manual trans, but they only leased that for 3 years.

Recently drove a 2014 4cyl/cvt for a couple days. And shitty is an understatement, purely because of the engine and trans. The 4cyl is lacking any power even at WOT. I am a believer in CVTs, however nissan has spent so much time trying to make it seem like you aren't driving one, it's an awful feeling transmission because of that.

we drove a Nissan something with a CVT in Texas as a rental car, fucking hated that thing, no power and the rubber band trans made me want to light it on fire. not sure if it was the Altima, if it was I'm sure it wasn't the S

I'm going to pile on here with the Altima rental car hate. This was my experience exactly, and I know I've had the S before. I've actually hated every Nissan rental car I've ever had, they've completely turned me off from modern Nissans.

They are reliable if you exclude the CVT. If you plan on keeping it change the CVT Fluid at 30k instead of 60k. 45k would even be a good compromise. At 60k you'll need rear pads replaced and rotors turned as well as a belt and filters, 80k for front pads and rotor replacement. Be sure to do the 15/30/45/60k services. They can save you a little money on down the line. Most Altimas like having fresh cabin air filters in them or they can cook the blower motor or resistor. If they are still using the Goodyear tires (forget which model, maybe the Eagle RS-A's?) for 2015 Models plan on replacing those around 50k. They wear like shit and very quickly. Camber bolts and toe bolts in the rear subframe will seize in 5 years or so. I'd opt for the V6 model honestly. Fuel economy will be worse but the 4 cylinder is almost dangerous when you go to merge on the freeway.

I know it sounds like a lot but they are all typical wear items any car would need. 85% of the work I did when I was a Nissan Tech was all warranty, recall or maintenance. 2015 did get a slight revision in the Valve body which helps the CVT's last longer.

The brake pad mileages are pretty close to those. All altimas I saw had somewhere in there for pad replacement. They last awhile even with hard driving.

Friends' wife has hers in the shop for the second engine replacement in 30k. I drove it once and it was one of the most boring turds I've ever had the pleasure of driving. Not exactly stellar reviews.