WWCRD?- bad ins body repair.

cstmg8

Long story short, needed some ins. Repair to the front bumper cover. Called Geico, they handled it very quickly, and set it up to go to Sandival Buick on Hamilton.

New OEM bumper cover went on and they painted it. Upon pickup on Saturday, of course when no one was there, I was not happy with the repair. They put a busted front emblem back on (inexcusable), and the paint is orange peeled and has debris under the clear coat. I feel as though no respectable shop would allow this, and I want it repaired to like new condition (or better).

1.) Am I being unreasonable?

2.) Do I let the same shop try to correct it?

3.). Where do I demand they pay for it to be repaired?

Thanks

Pics:

Emblem, should have red in the center.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/10/6f2a29efba7134120d4911c7510edea6.jpg

Debris, those spots are under the clear!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/10/921c2526c8714265d2aaadc6d48246a9.jpg

Hard to get pics of orange peel.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/10/2ebc4bca253b6d8e4d0ca8f596da7419.jpg

As much as you might hate to take it back to them, the shop that did it might insist that they make it right themselves rather than agree to reimburse you for work done elsewhere.

However, if either your insurance company or the shop will agree to it, I would take it to a quality shop such as Kevin Clifford's and have it fixed right. That was a terrible job. Kids in high school body shop do a better job than that.

As much as you might hate to take it back to them, the shop that did it might insist that they make it right themselves rather than agree to reimburse you for work done elsewhere.

However, if either your insurance company or the shop will agree to it, I would take it to a quality shop such as Kevin Clifford's and have it fixed right. That was a terrible job. Kids in high school body shop do a better job than that.

Exactly, and what's sad is that some unsuspecting soccer mom would drive off none the wiser and have to deal with the poor repair upon resale etc...

Long story short, needed some ins. Repair to the front bumper cover. Called Geico, they handled it very quickly, and set it up to go to Sandival Buick on Hamilton.

New OEM bumper cover went on and they painted it. Upon pickup on Saturday, of course when no one was there, I was not happy with the repair. They put a busted front emblem back on (inexcusable), and the paint is orange peeled and has debris under the clear coat. I feel as though no respectable shop would allow this, and I want it repaired to like new condition (or better).

1.) Am I being unreasonable?

2.) Do I let the same shop try to correct it?

3.). Where do I demand they pay for it to be repaired?

Thanks

First of all, did you inspect the quality of work while on their premises? Why would you pick up the car from their possession with that quality of work? Now that you've taken it home it might be harder for you to take it back to them.

First of all, did you inspect the quality of work while on their premises? Why would you pick up the car from their possession with that quality of work? Now that you've taken it home it might be harder for you to take it back to them.

I did, and made sure to specify what was wrong to the body shop cashier and service department manager. No one from the body shop or ins company was there on a Saturday. I called GEICO and sent pictures while on the premises, and they said they'd make it right.

I'm just hesitant to let the same shop redo it as they obviously didn't care the first time.

My rule of thumb is to always go to the bodyshop that I am comfortable with. If my or their insurance wants me to use another one....they can go fudge themselves. Lately I have had them offer me a "lifetime guarantee" on repairs if I do it at their shop of choice and I still say hell no.

My rule of thumb is to always go to the bodyshop that I am comfortable with. If my or their insurance wants me to use another one....they can go fudge themselves. Lately I have had them offer me a "lifetime guarantee" on repairs if I do it at their shop of choice and I still say hell no.

I knew better, but this place was close and convenient. Lesson learned.

I know they are going to want to fix it themselves, just can't decide how to handle it.

A coworker of mine had a similar experience when his wife kicked his door (not sure why she's not ex-wife after that). Geico sent him to their preferred body shop that did a shit job; overspray on windows and seals, improperly matched colors, and they used VW junkyard parts to repair a FIAT.

He threw a fit when he found out that last one (he had our tech take off the door panel to investigate and found that shit) and told Geico they could tell the first repair shop to eat shit and die. Got an angry call from the first shop asking why he didn't contact them directly since now they were in trouble with Geico. He asked them on what fucking planet they thought it was OK to use junkyard parts to repair a car and to lose his phone number unless they wanted Geico to find out they were calling and harassing customers.

Ended up taking the car to our body shop and Geico covered everything.

TL;DR just go to a reputable shop of YOUR CHOOSING.

Had a really bad job done on the Bullitt by a shop that I had used in the past and always did a nice job. They offer a lifetime guarantee, so I took it back. They hosed it again. So I called upstairs, where they sent the car to a different location (same chain) and put me in contact directly with the manager, so I kind of became his personal pet project.

Third time was a charm.