1994 Jaguar XJS

Snowflake

4.0l is the six cyl, not the v12. It's like the British small block chevy. Less problematic than the v12.

Is it coupe or convertible? If it is a coupe it's a meh price, a vert the price is very good.

93k is at the cusp of when things start to go wrong with those cars. If you look at values cars with 50k on the clock are still $10k, but over 100k miles and you can find them for $2k all day long.

Clay, he's taking about the grand tourer not the sedan, the ford jag functional equalivent would be the xk8.

Lucas by the 1990s was not Lucas of the old 1960s, but the reputational damage was already done. I will say there are an inordinate amount of things that are unnecessarily electronically controlled (like the inside the dash vents) and prone to breakage and expensive repair. I can't speak to jag wiring but landie wiring from the same era is a rats nest of individual wires, I hear the jags are the same but don't know for sure. 1994-1996 are supposed to be the best of the XJS series with individual coil packs and the last evolution of the inline 6.

4.0l is the six cyl, not the v12. It's like the British small block chevy. Less problematic than the v12.

Is it coupe or convertible? If it is a coupe it's a meh price, a vert the price is very good.

93k is at the cusp of when things start to go wrong with those cars. If you look at values cars with 50k on the clock are still $10k, but over 100k miles and you can find them for $2k all day long.

Yeah it's not a vert.

I shall let him see these posts so he can't argue with me about it...

Thanks all

if it was a V12 and $2K I would say pull the trigger since the v12 XJS's use 4L80E Chevy transmissions after 1992 and swapping a chevy in there is as easy installing engine mounts and a radiator.

Remember though, Jaguar mechanicals are not unreliable, their electrics are the issue. Usually when people swap chevys in, they get rid of the electronic fuel pump, and the fuel injection in favor of a carb (or stock GM FI) which cures a lot of the poor running issues.

In my mind the only reason to own an XJS is to own a jaguar convertible GT car, preferably in British racing green with a Connolly leather interior, with a direct link to the e-type for the cost of a used 1989 honda civic. It would make a great toy. I'd like to pretend I wouldn't daily drive one but I can't, but then again I have a threshold for pain in a car that surpasses most, plus a back up car - but for most people I wouldn't recommend it.

he could get lucky and have very few issues with the car---but why?? is he looking for a project? reliable transportation? those cars aren't even really cool. so many better selections can be had with $3k that will be reliable. as others have stated, i would plan on having $2k or more set aside for repairs, along with an unlimited supply of booze, advil, and a small hammer to bash himself over the head periodically.

he could get lucky and have very few issues with the car---but why?? is he looking for a project? reliable transportation? those cars aren't even really cool. so many better selections can be had with $3k that will be reliable. as others have stated, i would plan on having $2k or more set aside for repairs, along with an unlimited supply of booze, advil, and a small hammer to bash himself over the head periodically.

I wish I could get into his head. He has a couple nice daily drivers but he did mention wanting something to put in the garage and drive every once and a while.

Why a crap Jag? Who knows....he's half Iranian so maybe it's his Persion side coming out.

FWIW, jag interiors are pretty nice places to be if the car isn't running and you aren't having to monitor gauges and stuff.

If you are an old jaguar-ophile it's about the cheapest way to get the old tech: the inline 6 they made since jesus could drive, the independent rear suspension, the parts bin E-type sharing of the 1970's cars. My father's cousin phil had a 1976 XJS that belonged to John Glen and it had an LS6 454 swapped in to it by GM jag in the late 70's. The car drove great and I drove it more than a few times, felt tight, and was super comfy. It also handled pretty well. I mean it wasn't a sports car but it is way better than a honda accord, toyota camary, etc....If he is not into old jaguars, then I don't know what to say unless he has a fetish to dress like and drive the car of a 1980's coke dealer (in which case he should buy a 911 targa, preferably a slant nose).

To have one as a toy it's not a bad car but you want to be choosy about what maximizes the fun. V12= fun. Convertible = fun. Unmuffled hopped up inline 6 = fun. Lister Jag = fun, BRG = requirement.

A 1994 coupe with a 6 is a nice driver but nothing to write home about. If he gets it for $2K he'll probably be able to sell it on for that as values are pretty stable. He'll probably lose just as much fixing stupid things like the climate control. for all the things that jags are quirky and have character for this is the least quirky car so it may not be anything good.

I will say this - if the car has a spec of rust on it run the opposite direction. These cars are rust traps. whatever you see on the surface is 4 times worse where you can't see.

I had a 02 X-type years ago. Loved the car until it needed work. It seemed that once something electronic quit working, everything electronic quit working (mind you this car was well within the Ford era). I love Jaguars, but I will likely never own another.