WTB: Decent 4gb video card (something like a R9 290?)

bucd

Hello,

Im looking for a card to drive a single 4k monitor. Looking for best bang for the buck without going crazy on price.

Looking for something like a r9 290 or nvidia 770, or maybe other possibilities if price is right.

Thank you,

-D

Did you mean nvidia 970? The 770 with 4 gb was a marketing scam that would do horribly with 4k. People just thought since it had a ton of ram it would max out games when they didn't take into consideration the actual cores couldn't handle it.

There isn't much in the way of single GPU solutions out there right now that can easily handle a 4k setup. I would strongly consider a multi GPU setup. Even then, on the newest games (like a Witcher 3) you are going to be looking at 2 near top level cards before you are running games at 4k res on the higher settings at anything near 60 fps.

Here is a graphic benchmark of Witcher 3 illustrating (see what I did there?) some of the challenges. For the record, I have a 2650x1440 monitor powered by dual 780Ti's, and I run Witcher on High setting (read: NOT Ultra) because I prefer the super smooth gameplay of the higher framerate (also, it's still an incredible game to look at at high settings).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/the-witcher-3-graphics-performance-review,1.html

Not trying to shit on your desires, bruh. Just want to make sure you understand that having it all on 4k is actually a difficult target to hit, and a "reasonable" gpu might not get you the results your are looking for.

Thanks for input guys. And i will mark the 770 off the list. Im a light gamer and mostly rpg or rts. Monitor is mostly to get more real estate on single monitor instead of using multiple.

If you haven't ever played on one, do yourself a favor and check out a 27" 2650x1440 (you might hear it referred to as WQHD). A significant upgrade over 1080p, and much easier for today's GPU's to manage. Also, you can get a good one for ~$300.

I have two 280x's I might be able to cut you a deal on if you were interested in a dual GPU setup at all.

Depending on price, I could be interested in one of those if the OP is interested in the other...