Built Coyote questions

RC K9

Alright, so I have always toyed with the thought of playing with V8's. No, I am not getting out of DSM's. I am DSM fo lyfe, yo. But having been into them for 10+yrs, I understand their limitations. Some of those limitations that I would imagine one would not have with a V8 platform, mostly in regards to longevity per/hp. I.E. the stresses on a turbo I-4 producing 600whp are going to be greater than the stresses on a V-8 producing 600whp.

Now, i'm not anti-chebby, or anti-furd (though some of my other posts may make that hard to believe, ha ha). They all suck to one extent or another, and they all have their perks.

That being said, I just love the way the 2011-2014 5.slo's look and sound. I have kicked around the idea of getting into a V2 CTS-V as I know some guys that have them, and are making very nice power, but they too are not without issues. Not to mention they are considerably more expensive than a GT.

Anywho, this isn't meant to start a chebby v furd debate. What I'd like to know is: Who all on here is running a built 5.0, and are my expectations realistic?

DSM traps 130 at 30psi. I am sure it could do a little better if the boost was upped. (upping boost 2psi took it from 128 to 130.75). That being said, at least for me, once you taste 130+, anything slower than that just isn't acceptable. So, what's it take to get a coyote platform to 130+? Can you have a "reliable" GT that has that kind of power, or would I always have to be fixing stuff every few months?

Stock motor? Would it need a built motor? I have seen some stuff on the webz about the stock coyotes handling boost well, but any shop can make an 8min video about how awesome their 800whp twin turbo stock coyote did, but I want real world info/expectations.

How about transmissions? I have read a few different places that the stock manuals suck, and auto is the way to go on these. How will the stock auto handle the kind of power it takes to get one of these into the 130's or higher?

I am completely ignorant on V8 builds so any legit info that can be contributed would be appreciated.

I'm not doing anything right now, ha ha. This is for the potential future. Long way off. I'm in contract for a house, and still paying medical bills for my daughter's birth, ha ha. If I had the money though, i'd definitely be interested.

What would it take for the bullitt to trap 135+? Basically, if I get a V8, it better be faster than my DSM or I would forever live in shame.

i had one semi clean pass with a soft launch before the blower screwed up

bullitt made 507whp and 449wtq with a 1.8 60' went 12.20@130

mach1 hooked well 1.5x 60' with 440whp and 390 tq and went 11.36@127

sooo 600whp in a 3300lb car will get you there... get an 05+ mustang and itll take 700ish cause they're heeeeavvvyy

You can get away with over the 600 mark on a stock bottom end. Close friend of mine has almost 20k miles on his stock bottom end making 640rwhp. I plan on about 600-620 on my coyote.

Your best bet is to pull the stock 5.0, sell it for a few grand, drop in an aluminator and boost it. See it all the time on the mustang forums. You can pull good money for a stock coyote motor as a lot of people do swaps with them.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/shop-now/vehicle-selector/ford-mustang-v8-gt/2011-2012-2013-2014-mustang-gt-5-0l/engine/crate-engines/ford-racing/ford-racing-coyote-5-0l-dohc-aluminator-crate-engine-s-c-ready.html

You can get away with over the 600 mark on a stock bottom end. Close friend of mine has almost 20k miles on his stock bottom end making 640rwhp. I plan on about 600-620 on my coyote.

Your best bet is to pull the stock 5.0, sell it for a few grand, drop in an aluminator and boost it. See it all the time on the mustang forums. You can pull good money for a stock coyote motor as a lot of people do swaps with them.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/shop-now/vehicle-selector/ford-mustang-v8-gt/2011-2012-2013-2014-mustang-gt-5-0l/engine/crate-engines/ford-racing/ford-racing-coyote-5-0l-dohc-aluminator-crate-engine-s-c-ready.html

I came across the aluminator's this weekend. Just seems like so much money.

2012 Mustang GT $25000

Aluminator is $9000

Sell stock motor -$3000 (does that sound right?

TT kit $5,000

Tuning system/tune $1700???

$37,700, which wouldn't be bad for a car that can do 130mph+ or whatever it would do, but that's without touching wheels/tires/transmission. Wheels/tires would be a must based on what I have seen from the high power mustangs down here, and even then they are still losing traction. Comes down to the stock auto trans...how is that going to handle that kind of power?

2012 Mustang GT $25000

Aluminator is $9000

TT kit $5,000

$37,700, which wouldn't be bad for a car that can do 130mph+ or whatever it would do, but that's without touching wheels/tires/transmission. Wheels/tires would be a must based on what I have seen from the high power mustangs down here, and even then they are still losing traction. Comes down to the stock auto trans...how is that going to handle that kind of power?

Then just buy a slightly used gt500. It's ALWAYS best to purchase the highest factory model, as you cannot replicate it for less. Better brakes, suspension, different motor, etc....

2012 Mustang GT $25000

Aluminator is $9000

TT kit $5,000

I can't comment much on the auto. All I can really say is I hardly ever see any posts about one breaking. I've got the 6 speed in mine.

You could probably buy a car with an aluminator already in it. I see them for sale all the time.

A stock 2011 GT500 would run what? $40,000? I think that's what the guy I beat paid for his. Derek's Bullitt is looking better and better. ha ha. I just really love the body style of the 2011-2014's.

The thing is, the 2011's only have 550hp, and trap around 115, (which is laughable IMHO), the 2013's have 630hp I believe, but still only trap 125mph. Not fast enough for an $60,000 car.

I would think a GT could be adequately built to produce and handle more power than that for considerably less than $60k.

Edited by RC K9

A stock 2011 GT500 would run what? $40,000? I think that's what the guy I beat paid for his. Derek's Bullitt is looking better and better. ha ha. I just really love the body style of the 2011-2014's.

The thing is, the 2011's only have 550hp, and trap around 115, (which is laughable IMHO), the 2013's have 630hp I believe, but still only trap 125mph. Not fast enough for an $60,000 car.

I would think a GT could be adequately built to produce and handle more power than that for considerably less than $60k.

Huh?

GT500's http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?331973-Fastest-Shelby-1-4-Mile-list

'13-14's http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?871937-2013-Shelby-GT500-Drag-Times-Thread

...and prices aren't nearly that strong right now!

Do you want a roll race car or a dragstrip car?

For a drag strip car, buy an automatic 5.0 and slap a turbo kit on it with slicks and call it a day. The auto trans is stout, and you'll never be as quick with a manual. Why ford never offered an auto in the gt500 is dumb as fuck.

For a drag strip car, buy an automatic 5.0 and slap a turbo kit on it with slicks and call it a day. The auto trans is stout, and you'll never be as quick with a manual. Why ford never offered an auto in the gt500 is dumb as fuck.

Werd. You would kill a modded GT500 at the track with this setup.

I was going off what car & driver (I think that was the website), was saying about their stock performance. As for Price, I was looking on Autotrader and all the 2013's with ver low miles seemed to be in the $58k-$70K area.

Probably roll as that's pretty much what I come across the most now. The closest 1/4mi track is over an hour away, and the mexican did races are at like 0200, which is like 6hrs after I have jumped in bed and fallen asleep.

The guy with the 2011 GT500 I posted in my kill story went and had a ton of work done and put a hair under 1000rwhp down. A few weeks later, trans started whining. He took the car back for more work and an auto swap. Is also making more power now. The manual did not last long at all in the 1000hp area.