FD part deux

Smokey

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with the Z4M I still miss tinkering / driving the FD. Good luck and awesome purchase. If I buy again (Most likely), I want a 94 model and prefer a base model like this one.. White would actually be my preference (My old one was a SSM like you deceased one).

GL with the cleanup and build out..

Congratulations!! Looks to be in really good shape. I'll take the stock head unit off your hands when you are ready.
unfortunately this car has an aftermarket head unit in it. I bought another DIN pocket and intend on doing a full radio delete on this one unless it's easy to go back to a factory unit. I do have a BOSE unit from my old car though if that'd work for you.

Awesome, exactly how I'd want one optioned, color and all. Do you still have your old car to transfer everything, or just parts of it?

Nice pick up,you had a pretty good setup before what are you doing to this one?

Pretty much the old cars drivetrain will go in this car. Stock twins, full exhaust, PFC, PFS inter cooler with my custom intakes. I have to send out my rear Ohlins to get repaired but plan to run Ohlins DFV's and AP Racing brakes again.

Eventually I'd like to run a different fuel and inter cooler setup, but will likely drop everything in as-is to get the car up and running as quickly as possible.

I'll eventually make a build thread for this car to capture that stuff along the way. I'd like to get this car to 2750lbs working weight and get the car back in the low :39s/high :38s at mid Ohio on Nittos. Then I can look for the extra 30-40hp I want to be able to hang with the faster GT3's out there.

Car came with a completely stock working drivetrain that I believe to be all original at 61k miles. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any documentation on the car so I don't know if it had a reman at some point. The car starts fine hot and cold and doesn't smoke. I'll determine if I sell the motor or keep it as a spare to build, but I'll definitely keep the trans and diff because tracking is hard on those components.

Stock twins have the waste gate ported but that's all.

No LS swap planned. I don't hate people who do the swap, but to do it properly is expensive. I considered buying one, but it's hard to find one done like id want it (not 500+hp and straight line oriented) or not a complete hack job. Also, I've yet to come across a v8 FD that was faster than me around Mid Ohio and that's my primary use of the vehicle performance wise.

Congrats!!! Now..... LS SWAP IT!

Someone can't post a picture of a new rotary without someone saying "LS Sawp" :(

No LS swap planned. I don't hate people who do the swap, but to do it properly is expensive. I considered buying one, but it's hard to find one done like id want it (not 500+hp and straight line oriented) or not a complete hack job. Also, I've yet to come across a v8 FD that was faster than me around Mid Ohio and that's my primary use of the vehicle performance wise.

20b Swap!!!

Someone can't post a picture of a new rotary without someone saying "LS Sawp" :(

20b Swap!!!

While I greatly appreciate the work that defined has done with multi-rotor motors and a N/A 20b would be awesome...it costs more than the LS swap so I'm out. I spend a crap ton (in my mind) of money each year on my Rx7, but I like for that money to go toward actually tracking the car and not being tied up in multi-year builds.

The biggest future change i could see happening would be going single turbo, but even then I'd shoot for 350-360whp as I believe that's the balance limit of just tearing up the stock drivetrain even more.

While I greatly appreciate the work that defined has done with multi-rotor motors and a N/A 20b would be awesome...it costs more than the LS swap so I'm out. I spend a crap ton (in my mind) of money each year on my Rx7, but I like for that money to go toward actually tracking the car and not being tied up in multi-year builds.

The biggest future change i could see happening would be going single turbo, but even then I'd shoot for 350-360whp as I believe that's the balance limit of just tearing up the stock drivetrain even more.

Understandable... I believe you are right about the drivetrain. I remember reading about that on RX7club a while back. I think it depends on the year/trim of the car though... I'm no expert on that topic. 8s are more my thing :cool:

Hope you enjoy the 7 though man, It looks like a great car for sure :)

After almost 3 years and less than 1800 miles driven I completely agree with you!

When I went to file for a salvage title on the silver car I was surprised to see that I had only driven it a little over 14k miles in 7+ years of ownership. The redeeming factor to me is that 10k+ of those were track miles. Haha.

I'd like to make some changes/effort to drive the new one on the street more, but it'll still be at least 80% track time and modified as such.

I like for that money to go toward actually tracking the car and not being tied up in multi-year builds.

Boom.

And people wonder why I have a short turn times and sacrifice quality to save a buck my personal builds...

1) I like money, and I hate spending it knowing I wont get ti back (AKA-car mods)

2) I want to drive my freakin' car!

Agreed. I have a limited amount of money and even more limited time these days, so I need to make a concerted effort to keep getting back on track the forefront goal. For this car that'll mean getting a roll bar welded in which will be a big time hurdle to overcome as I don't do that work myself.

• 1 month later...
Chris - Good luck moving the drive train into the new ReX and hope it works out well. As mentioned earlier my old car put down just under 400 rwhp and it was a blast (Yes single @ 14 PSI). Highly recommend if you can budget it (Maybe selling off some of the old drive train might get you part way there??

Updates are that my wife and I are in contract to sell our condo and buy a home in Lewis Center. I had set a date to have the silver car stripped and out if my friends garage by July 31 and that took up the majority of my free time. Now that it's done I'd turn to the white car but I need to be prepared to pack and move by the end of the month.

I've driven the car a whopping 50 miles since I bought it. Haha. Life happens and I'll get back to it when things settle down a bit.