Fantasy Auto CEO

Mallard

With all the talk lately about our CEO looking for a merger I've been thinking through all the possible scenarios and wondering what everyone else's take is.

So if you were the FCA CEO who would you merge with and why?

I would split from Chrysler and let that ship sink and continue being a popular and thriving European brand and retire at the age of 28, knowing that neither I nor my kids would ever have to work a day in their life.

I would split from Chrysler and let that ship sink and continue being a popular and thriving European brand and retire at the age of 28, knowing that neither I nor my kids would ever have to work a day in their life.

Did you just call FIAT a thriving European brand? The Chrysler side is propping the European side up right now. Also, the rules are only for mergers, no splits. The smaller company wouldn't survive on its own.

Self-sustaining, whatever. Size doesn't matter, GM is proof, and Chrysler was all about done before Fiat got involved - we all know that.

To play the game, I'd merge with Ford. FCA really needs a few strong selling sedans.

Self-sustaining, whatever. Size doesn't matter, GM is proof, and Chrysler was all about done before Fiat got involved - we all know that.

To play the game, I'd merge with Ford. FCA really needs a few strong selling sedans.

New GM is making a lot of profit, Chrysler was doing great before Diamler came along and took all the cash, gutted the company, and left it for dead.

If FIAT didn't have Chrysler they may have gone bankrupt by now too. Things have been bad in Europe.

Sergio's claim is that the development costs of common parts are increasing (engines, powertrains, etc.) such that only the large companies that can spread these costs over a large number of platforms will survive. He believes that only 5 or 6 (IIRC) companies will be around in the future, which is his reason for a merger.

Fiat? I'd cozy up with a company that successfully makes small cars so both companies could share tech. NOT a company that makes big heavy cars with huge engines, the exact opposite of my company.

Fiat and Mazda are a match made in heaven. Share a couple cars to broaden Fiat's lineup and Mazda sells more cars to people looking for a Euro badge instead of a Japanese badge. Bonus: Fiat can cite Japanese reliability to counter their "Fix It Again Tony" reputation. And if things go REALLY well, a re-badged Miata would be the rebirth of Fiat's roadster history.

Fiat? I'd cozy up with a company that successfully makes small cars so both companies could share tech. NOT a company that makes big heavy cars with huge engines, the exact opposite of my company.

Fiat and Mazda are a match made in heaven. Share a couple cars to broaden Fiat's lineup and Mazda sells more cars to people looking for a Euro badge instead of a Japanese badge. Bonus: Fiat can cite Japanese reliability to counter their "Fix It Again Tony" reputation. And if things go REALLY well, a re-badged Miata would be the rebirth of Fiat's roadster history.

I like the way you think, and this was my thought...until they tied up with Toyota a few weeks ago. FIAT and Mazda already had joint development on the new Miata platform, so I thought that may lead somewhere. I guess not.

Merge with VAG, fire all VW designers (ok maybe keep the Audi guys around to beat whoever designed the 500L into submission), fire all FCA quality assurance testers, push diesel like fucking mad, take over the automotive world.

I don't think any engineers designed the 500L. I think the marketing guys just took the computer files for the 500 and just grabbed the corner tool and made it bigger.