Contractors, are they all useless?

gillbot

Where are you guys finding these contractors? Have you tried sites like angieslist, porch, etc?

Go to your local Lowes, and ask the guys at the commercial sales desk who they might recommend. They aren't allowed to give recs but "off the record" some guys don't mind throwing out good referrals. Working at Lowes and dealing with contractors every day it's easy to get a feel for who is honest and who is a sketchy POS

I try to give business to friends of friends or people I know.

Angieslist is hit or miss even with good reviews. Usually AL guys are high estimates. Did a bathroom remodel last year, honestly not a lot of actual work. Got two contractors from AL and another referral. One of the companies from AL said $12k to do it. Other two said $4k.

I try to give business to friends of friends or people I know.

Angieslist is hit or miss even with good reviews. Usually AL guys are high estimates. Did a bathroom remodel last year, honestly not a lot of actual work. Got two contractors from AL and another referral. One of the companies from AL said $12k to do it. Other two said $4k.

That's my experience too. Words of mouth is the best. Always expect longer than the estimated time. I'm going thru the same stuff right now. It's two weeks past due and still need another two weeks before done but I don't care as long as they do good work.