Nascar at Daytona

2 Sweet

There was a huge wreck last night at the end of the Daytona race. It was pretty scary watching it live...

Big wreck right at 0:40. Cool shot of the engine laying on the track after the 3:00 mark. Good replay around 5:30.

Edited by Paul

Yea its crazy 180-0 instantly and walks away. Bet he was sore.

I have been T-boned at 55mph before, and I was sore for a week to come...I can't imagine what something like this feels like...and I don't want to.

Nasty wreck for sure. I know NASCAR gets a lot of hate on this board, but I really do enjoy it. Boring as it might seem to some, they're still running 200+ for 3hr straight, which is something. The drivers themselves, appear to be some of the most down-to-earth people in any sport today. They constantly go up into the stands to spend time with fans, rarely beat their SO's (looking at you, Kurt Busch...), and just appear to be all-around good guys.

The drivers themselves, appear to be some of the most down-to-earth people in any sport today. They constantly go up into the stands to spend time with fans, rarely beat their SO's (looking at you, Kurt Busch...), and just appear to be all-around good guys.

This right here is what separates NASCAR from Formula 1... NASCAR teams are in the stands, fans are in the garages, and you have the chance to actually talk with your favorite drivers and learn from the crews. F1 has this air of superiority about them, a sort of Eurosmug, that Americans just can't stand.

This right here is what separates NASCAR from Formula 1... NASCAR teams are in the stands, fans are in the garages, and you have the chance to actually talk with your favorite drivers and learn from the crews. F1 has this air of superiority about them, a sort of Eurosmug, that Americans just can't stand.

And yet when open wheel drivers try to come to NASCAR they get ate up for the most part, except for Smoke, but he is a true race car driver.

Part of that is how Bernie runs things. A lot of the drivers are more than willing to meet with and talk with fans. But the fans rarely have the opportunity to cross paths.

One of my favorite stories is about Kimi Raikonnen. The team he was on at the time was gearing up for the start of the race and it came down to the point where they had to get him into the car and he was nowhere to be found. They finally track him down and he's sitting on a fence near the concessions eating icecream and drinking a coke.

Not only does it show just how little the pressure of a F1 race effects him, but it also shows that he's perfectly ok meeting the fans on an equal footing. Daniel Riccardo is another driver that likes to mingle with fans, and Fernando Alonso often goes to amateur karting events for fun.

I think the whole aloof things, while certainly can be attributed to some drivers, is mostly due to how F1 handles fan's access to the teams. According to Bernie, if you want to see a driver in person, you better pay $$$.

Nasty wreck for sure. I know NASCAR gets a lot of hate on this board, but I really do enjoy it. Boring as it might seem to some, they're still running 200+ for 3hr straight, which is something. The drivers themselves, appear to be some of the most down-to-earth people in any sport today. They constantly go up into the stands to spend time with fans, rarely beat their SO's (looking at you, Kurt Busch...), and just appear to be all-around good guys.

Took the fan tour thing/historical tour at Indy some years ago as a kid and did the same at Daytona a few years after that. Was never into it until then. The history/innovations are cool to any gearhead. Now I can't sit all day and watch a race, but usually try to checkout the last 30 laps or so.