Okay to use Blue Masking tape when transporting car?

TTQ B4U

So my S4 is ready and they are in process of prepping it to come down the 6hr drive.

They were not able to get a clear bra installer to complete the job this week and are giving me the money off the deal which is fine.

That said, I want to make sure that the car doesnt get any chips or road rash, etc. on the trip down.

The dealer is open to prepping the painted metal surfaces only with Blue Masking tape prior to their driver leaving.

With the car being black, will using the tape for a 6hr drive hurt anything or will it remove pretty easily?

What impact will rain have if any? I know a lot of you guys use it for autocross.

Thoughts?

• Downvote 1

I've left painters tape on cars for days and it's come right off with no mess. Car is probably waxed up and clean anyway, should be easy.

Yes, the car was just perfectly detailed. I was impressed. Do you see any issues because it's a black car and the paint getting hot? I wouldn't think so but....

Make sure it's applied correctly. It's not as easy as it looks; below is mine before a 100-mile and a 650-mile drive home, respectively, but never encountered any rain. Have you talked to Julius?

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/2003BlackZ06/2012%20Mustang%20Boss%20302/Photo0367.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/2003BlackZ06/2015%20GMC%20Sierra%201500/TapedUp_zpsba556c29.jpg

Over reacting maybe but whatever, glad to see someone giving shit about a car purchase.

I'd only have them use 3M tape. I strictly use 3M tape, electrical tape, duct tape, etc. Everything else seems so cheap to me.

Over reacting maybe but whatever, glad to see someone giving shit about a car purchase.

I'd only have them use 3M tape. I strictly use 3M tape, electrical tape, duct tape, etc. Everything else seems so cheap to me.

Oh trust me I know all about worrying about scratches and such and can totally appreciate it- he is just going to go crazy!

Oh trust me I know all about worrying about scratches and such and can totally appreciate it- he is just going to go crazy!

+1

I stopped giving a shit about tiny road chips when my daughter rammed my newly purchased ctsv with a Barbie mustang power wheels. I drive my cars in the snow, rain, drought, squall, whatever. I don't keep them long enough for them to rust, and realize the difference between a 40k Mille and 60k mile used car is minimal. Everyone has their own philosophy with owning cars. I was once the guy who washed his cobra every week.

Make sure it's applied correctly. It's not as easy as it looks; below is mine before a 100-mile and a 650-mile drive home, respectively, but never encountered any rain. Have you talked to Julius?

Julius is coming out to Clear bra the car on Monday ;) FYI, he also does detailing and paint correction. I didn't know that, so he's going to do my wife's black minivan later this month.

Aren't you going to daily drive this? If somInthink you are worrying too much - it will pick up chips just driving it.

Yes, it's my daily. However, it's 99.9% perfect right now and I want her to stay that way until Monday when the clear bra gets put on. I've had them on all but a couple cars. They keep the front end nearly perfect.

+1

I drive my cars in the snow, rain, drought, squall, whatever. I don't keep them long enough for them to rust, and realize the difference between a 40k Mille and 60k mile used car is minimal. Everyone has their own philosophy with owning cars. I was once the guy who washed his cobra every week.

I'm with you about driving them everywhere. I don't fuss too much anymore.....I think maturity does kick in. That and the impact of kids. However, I will keep this one pretty nice for a while.

Here's the sales guy doing the masking :)

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/IMG_3914_zpsjhxozk6v.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/IMG_3915_zpswjeaaalj.jpg

You are about to be one mad mofo if you honestly think your black s4 is going to look great after you take one trip around 270.... It's going to get chopped no matter what. The tape will help but if it takes a sharp rock at 60+ how much protection do you think it's really going to offer?

Car looks great don't get me wrong but it's a car and it's going to get messed up I promise. Hell bugs will do damage at 60+

Also I see your going with a clear bra... Ever seen one of those after it's been on for a few years or so then removed? Usually doesn't turn out well for that either

You are about to be one mad mofo if you honestly think your black s4 is going to look great after you take one trip around 270.... It's going to get chopped no matter what. The tape will help but if it takes a sharp rock at 60+ how much protection do you think it's really going to offer?

it's not about the sharp/large rock, it's about the sand and grit that blasts the car.

Also I see your going with a clear bra... Ever seen one of those after it's been on for a few years or so then removed? Usually doesn't turn out well for that either

I disagree. I've had nearly all of my cars done with them and they were perfect. I remove them before selling them. Our two previous minivans, my Accord, and Trailblazer, which was black, came out flawless.

IMO you probably have only seen the cheap stuff at work.

Tim - he can also apply 3M Dinoc CF vinyl now. He went on a "rampage" last Thursday and had several interior pieces out of my Zs and V covered. He can also apply glass coating on top of paint correction; he has done paint correction and installed clear bra on all of my vehicles with 2 of them have glass coating. He's about to replace the clear bra on one that's 7 years old.

please tell me this was used to prep the car :lolguy:

http://i.imgur.com/98D9pnMh.jpg?1

Nope. They hand wash and paint correct/detail in the building next door. Where the car is in this photo is part of the old building. It's a downtown dealership with limited space.

I should have taken a photo of their showroom. It was like a parking lot of cars all lined up. Pretty cool how they make use of the spaces.

it's not about the sharp/large rock, it's about the sand and grit that blasts the car.

I disagree. I've had nearly all of my cars done with them and they were perfect. I remove them before selling them. Our two previous minivans, my Accord, and Trailblazer, which was black, came out flawless.

IMO you probably have only seen the cheap stuff at work.

This could be true as well, everyone I have seen leaves a hard line and God forbid the car is not garage kept I have seen cars where the paint is 2-3 shades off from the sun bake lol

Tim - he can also apply 3M Dinoc CF vinyl now. He went on a "rampage" last Thursday and had several interior pieces out of my Zs and V covered. He can also apply glass coating on top of paint correction; he has done paint correction and installed clear bra on all of my vehicles with 2 of them have glass coating. He's about to replace the clear bra on one that's 7 years old.

He's awesome for sure. Won't need the CF vinyl as this one has the CF Inlays as an option from Audi and they look great. :)

I can't wait to see what he can do with the van. I did it twice last year and normally keep it up well. Looks great for being 8yrs old. He will no doubt make it look like new.

This could be true as well, everyone I have seen leaves a hard line and God forbid the car is not garage kept I have seen cars where the paint is 2-3 shades off from the sun bake lol

The line buffs out. In terms of fading, the only really dark (black) car I had was the Trailblazer. No fading on that after 3yrs. If it does, then it will serve as a great template for the replacement bra :p