Energy efficiency of large stone wall water heaters?

cruizin01

Just wondering if anyone has any real input on these things efficiency?

Our house came with a leased Vaughn 120gal stone lined hot water heater.

There are only 2 of us in the house so it seems like way over kill.

Im paying $18/month to lease it currently. They mentioned I could purchase it but I dont know what the price is...yet

Im looking for ways to reduce our electric cost. We moved into a older ranch home (1960) which is exactly the same size as our older (2000 built) ranch. Our electric cost have been about 25% higher in the past couple billings than our old place.

There are a couple of items that I know contribute a little bit of it but it still seems higher than it should be.

A couple small additions are

-sump pump agitator

-small koi pond pump

-internal well pump that runs more than the old in ground.

The furnace is very similar along with the other normal appliances. The insulation in the ceiling is similar (which I plan to blow in more before winter) but I assume the walls maybe arent as well insulated. The windows are of very similar age.

I know there are a million other things contributing just wondering if buying a newer/smaller hot water heater would be worth investing in.

TIA

Derek

Not sure from your post, but if the water heater is electric, I would go with one of these... http://www.lowes.com/pd_386797-83-GEH50DEEDSR_0__?productId=3664968

I have one and it cut are electric bill measurably. Just two of us in the house and I run it heat pump only mode.

Thanks. Ill look into those more. It appears AEP offers a $500 rebate on them as well. Might be a no brainer.

My parents have rented a 160 gal stone lined since 1994 (same unit). AEP always sends out Waterworks to fix it. The Waterworks folks always tell them that it isn't really worth it to change it out till it dies, because it will cost $750+ to remove it + the cost to install a new one. Once it dies AEP will pay to remove it. They also get big discounts on their electric for renting it because of the switches that AEP has on it and they end up with a positive credit every month.

My parents have rented a 160 gal stone lined since 1994 (same unit). AEP always sends out Waterworks to fix it. The Waterworks folks always tell them that it isn't really worth it to change it out till it dies, because it will cost $750+ to remove it + the cost to install a new one. Once it dies AEP will pay to remove it. They also get big discounts on their electric for renting it because of the switches that AEP has on it and they end up with a positive credit every month.

Interesting. I assume they rented it through AEP though? Mine is leased through AWHR. Assuming I want to cancel the lease (which I can do at anytime) they would be responsible for removing the unit. I shouldn't have any cost associated with doing so. Unless someone knows otherwise.

But yeah if there was any type of incentive for me to keep it I would do so. At this point Im assuming its just sucking down electricity for heating water that Im not using.