recomendations for first autocross car

The Other Nick

There is way more too auto-x than the car. In fact the entire first year of you doing it is really just learning how it all works and how to retrain yourself for a different kind of driving. That's why most people just recommend you starting off with what you have already.

I'm not going to disagree, but whatever you autocross shouldn't be certain things like a car set up for drag racing or making way too much power for the platform. While there are smaller clubs and such that might let you run a truck I wouldn't suggest that.

Something that will teach you good habits, a car in good condition mechanically, but most important to me is a car that you will enjoy outside of autocross. Chances are autocross will be fun, but not something you will take very seriously, so get a car you will enjoy driving otherwise. This was were I screwed up buying a Mazdaspeed, I hated that car, but I loved my 91 Miata. So make sure you like whatever it is.

Something that will teach you good habits, a car in good condition mechanically, but most important to me is a car that you will enjoy outside of autocross. Chances are autocross will be fun, but not something you will take very seriously, so get a car you will enjoy driving otherwise. This was were I screwed up buying a Mazdaspeed, I hated that car, but I loved my 91 Miata. So make sure you like whatever it is.

This is why the Miata is such a great car to start with. You have great handling, but not much power. You have to learn your lines because you can't use the engine to make up for lost momentum. So it makes you learn how to be smooth and keep your speed up.

OP: I started RallyX with a WRX. While a great car to compete in, the power meant I didn't have to learn my lines as well. It took me a long time to unlearn the bad habits I picked up. I wish I had started with a low powered car.

So whatever you choose, get some good tires and just run it stock. Learn the car, and more importantly, learn yourself.