Rainbow

Forrest Gump 9

Do you know why the gay/lesbian community chose the rainbow as their symbol?

Just wondering. I went to University of Hawaii and our mascot was the Rainbow Warrior. When the gay/lesbian adopted the rainbow symbol, UH dropped the rainbow and the mascot became Warrior.

No shit. You went to UH. small world. Manoa valley is still one of the more beautiful places to live in that isn't over the top. I still wish UH would have kept their games at Klum gym and not moved their basketball/volleyball games to the blaisdell.

No shit. You went to UH. small world. Manoa valley is still one of the more beautiful places to live in that isn't over the top. I still wish UH would have kept their games at Klum gym and not moved their basketball/volleyball games to the blaisdell.

Really? What years were you there? I started my freshmen year in fall of 1995.

from wiki

The rainbow flag was popularized as a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) pride and diversity by San Francisco artist Gilbert Baker in 1978. This version is also sometimes called 'the freedom flag'. The different colors symbolize diversity in the gay community, and the flag is used predominantly at gay pride events and in gay villages worldwide in various forms including banners, clothing and jewelry. For the 25th Anniversary of the Stonewall riots, held in 1994 in New York city, a mile-long rainbow flag was created and post-parade cut up in sections that have since been used around the world.

The flag was originally created with eight colors, but pink and turquoise were removed for production purposes, and since 1979 it has consisted of six colored stripes. It is most commonly flown with the red stripe on top, as the colors appear in a natural rainbow.[18] Aside from the obvious symbolism of a mixed LGBT community, the colors were designed to symbolize: life (red), healing (orange), sunlight (yellow), nature (green), harmony (blue), and spirit (purple/violet). The removed colors stood for sexuality (pink) and art/magic (turquoise)