Need some home painting guidance

BigOxley

Recently decided to paint a back room that i don't use. During the painting process, I discovered some loose/peeling paint above the window from what appeared to be water damage. Unfortunately, i had already applied the first coat...

wall is plaster and lathe, i believe

back%2Bwall.JPG

i think the water was leaking in from the gutter backflowing into the house this last spring, as I haven't never seen the peeling paint on that wall in the 8+ years i have lived here. I have cleaned out the gutter and that's not a problem anymore (i hope)

back%2Bwall%2B2.jpg

the areas above in red came off very easily. The areas in blue came off with some elbow grease.

i need to know what to do now. ...

the wall is dry to the touch and no structural damage that i can feel.

so far, I've found to clean the wall with a bleach solution and let dry.

apply a mildew resistant primer ( i have Bullseye 1-2-3)

and then paint after the primer has set.

other option:

tear down and replace with dry wall..

You're going to want to skim that paint line with some mud and sand it flat, otherwise it'll show badly through your new paint.

Basically with plaster, just scrape out any loose/bubbled spots and prime/patch them.

If your worried about mold inside the wall, that's another story. I'll say that old lathe/plaster walks don't seem to mold as badly as old drywall, but I have no idea what you're dealing with there.

You're going to want to skim that paint line with some mud and sand it flat, otherwise it'll show badly through your new paint.

Basically with plaster, just scrape out any loose/bubbled spots and prime/patch them.

If your worried about mold inside the wall, that's another story. I'll say that old lathe/plaster walks don't seem to mold as badly as old drywall, but I have no idea what you're dealing with there.

copy on skimming with mud

i'm terribly concerned about mold, because i think the problem is now fixed and short-lived. maybe cut an exploratory hole then patch?