Big Chief Wins 20K Grudge Race

wagner

serious question because I am a little retarded...how much money do these guys have into these cars? I am sure $20k is a lot of money to most of us in here, but how far does $20k go when reinvesting back into one of these cars? I would imagine that $20k would disappear really quick into one of these things.

That's what I figured...so $20k is like a drop in the bucket for anything major that needs fixed on a car like that. Better than nothing though.

Most of them are well over 100k. That said, most of the parts are a 1 time buy. Engine/tranny part is where you have to keep spending.

Most of them are well over 100k. That said, most of the parts are a 1 time buy. Engine/tranny part is where you have to keep spending.

Would $20k pay for an engine over haul on something like this if lets say, a wrist pin broke. Or a trans rebuild if 3 teeth got eaten off the planetary?

I apologize for the dumb questions. I am just trying to see how far $20k goes in this world I will never afford to be a part of.

Would $20k pay for an engine over haul on something like this if lets say, a wrist pin broke. Or a trans rebuild if 3 teeth got eaten off the planetary?

I apologize for the dumb questions. I am just trying to see how far $20k goes in this world I will never afford to be a part of.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1507-okc-street-outlaws-justin-shearer-and-his-1972-pontiac-lemans/

The engine itself is largely comprised of off-the-shelf-parts, too, which makes it that much more appealing. Butler Performance did all the machine work, and Justin assembled the engine starting with an IA II engine block, a used Crower crankshaft, GRP aluminum rods, Ross pistons, and Edelbrock Performer RPM cylinder heads. The compression ratio is 12.3:1. The valvetrain consists of a Comp cam, Crower lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, Pac springs, T&D shaft-mount rocker arms, and Ferrea valves. Quillen Motorsports helped with the alcohol conversion, spec'd the camshaft, and wired the car. Don Dial Race Cars built the 25.2-certified rollcage and helped set up the four-link rear suspension. The front suspension is stock-style, consisting of TRZ components, and Kinetic Engineering built the Penske coilover shocks on all four corners. A Pro Torque EV1 converter spins inside the bellhousing of a Rossler-built TH400, which feeds power through a PST carbon-fiber driveshaft to the Strange 9-inch rear axle. Aerospace brakes are found front and rear.

http://butlerperformance.com/products/engines_assemblies/aluminum.html

Block alone (before machine work) = $4,695

Rods are about $500 (again before balancing work) if off the shelf. Crower Cranks can run anywhere from $500 to $1800 but since he said used I am guessing it may be closer to the $500 end of things. Custom Ross pistons can be $800 or more. Edlebrock Performer RPM heads are about $1200 before the relevant machine work to make them work, we haven't started to talk about ignition, valvetrain, turbos, etc.... basically $10K in just hard parts conservatively for the long block and excluding any machine work, and I keep mentioning that because Butler did all the machine work which was probably not cheap.

The way Alicia is up his ass, I have no doubt she knows 99%.

Probably, but many of the interviews I have read point out he has had the car since before his wife. $180K is probably what he has in it to the present configuration, it may not account for all previous incarnations before that.

when my buddy decided to go low 9s with a door slammer FWD honda civic I know he spent about $150K over the course of several years to get the car into that shape. That was not counting what he spent already to get the car into the 13's from a bone stock or the purchase price of the car. Granted he ate Liberty transmissions every outing and used 2 turbos a year but it was not a cheap car to run.

I'm sure Wags has more insight but he's got the best parts you can buy on that thing.

There are parts on that car that are not listed, are different, or are not something the average joe can get.

When I was shooting pictures of the car at the Outlaw Street Car race, there were certain things I could not take pictures of, and other things that had to be covered up.

I know their converters are not off the shelf from Pro Torque, and they are not cheap.

If you want to bypass all the time it takes just head over to here: http://www.prolineracing.net/classifieds/blog

Pick up one of those 481X motors that has been 5.70's in a door car for $45,000

Get that 2010 Outlaw 10.5/Drag Radial Chevy Camaro and jam the motor in there.

Or just spend the $130,000 and buy one of the ready to go cars.

Its just money, you can't take it with you and its better spent on race car stuff than to let the .gov waste it in tax money right?