‘Insane Mode’ Tesla Consumer Reports Ratings

ShowHBK

Apparently the ‘Insane Mode’ got a 103 out of a possible 100. :eek:

Time to save up and buy one? what does CR think of the "Insane Mode"?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-27/tesla-with-insane-mode-busts-curve-on-consumer-reports-ratings-idu1hfk0

Love the performance and while I don't normally agree with Consumer Reports, they are spot on with the comment about the interior. Insane Mode is cool but an RS7 with an APR Tune is 2x better all around for the same money. Mid 10's at over 130mph...that's insane for the car doing it. Waiting on Kirk to flash his.

Interior could be a lot better, but hands down.....best dd that I have ever owned. It is about physics, weight = less battery distance. Traded my BMW 760, which was luxury over the top, but drove like a soft banana compared to my P85D. I love waking up to a "full tank" every morning and paying $7 for 260 miles of distance. Then filling up for free at the superchargers. When the model 3 comes out, well this will be a game changer. I still love my gas toys, but for a dd, they are awesome. I believe when they come out with the newer long distance battery, interiors will get better.

at some point i will probably own one of these, but for $130k, the interior has to be up to par. could care less about cost savings---guess what?? when you can throw down $130k for a car, you couldn't give two shits about gas money savings.

still, very cool.

IF the model 3 comes out and fullfills all the lofty promises that have been made, well this will be a game changer.

FTFY.

They've been 2 years late on the Model X. They're supposed to start deliveries next month but even that I doubt since they always seem to package their "good news" around announcements that they're hemorrhaging money and sales are slumping so it's not as much of a hit to their share price.

I've never seen a company break so many promises and perform so poorly yet receive such uniform praise. If Audi delivered a vehicle with the quality of interior that Tesla did for $100k+ there'd be bombings in Ingolstadt. If BMW delayed production of a new M3/M4 as long as the Model X and Model 3 have been delayed, the fanbois would gather in Munich and drink the Kool-Aid like Jamestown. I get it, it's really cool engineering, but the nutswinging is incomprehensible.

This is the final nail in the coffin for Consumer Reports IMO. Actual reliability reviewing sites like TrueDelta have shown that Tesla is off the charts when it comes to owner-reported issues. Edmunds' test car required an insanely extensive list of repairs including new drive motors and batteries. Consumer Reports is a joke.

Interior could be a lot better, but hands down.....best dd that I have ever owned. It is about physics, weight = less battery distance. Traded my BMW 760, which was luxury over the top, but drove like a soft banana compared to my P85D. I love waking up to a "full tank" every morning and paying $7 for 260 miles of distance. Then filling up for free at the superchargers. When the model 3 comes out, well this will be a game changer. I still love my gas toys, but for a dd, they are awesome. I believe when they come out with the newer long distance battery, interiors will get better.

$7 in electric costs is a full tank or just partial? I am genuinely curious since I doubt I will able to afford one in the future.

FTFY.

They've been 2 years late on the Model X. They're supposed to start deliveries next month but even that I doubt since they always seem to package their "good news" around announcements that they're hemorrhaging money and sales are slumping so it's not as much of a hit to their share price.

I've never seen a company break so many promises and perform so poorly yet receive such uniform praise. If Audi delivered a vehicle with the quality of interior that Tesla did for $100k+ there'd be bombings in Ingolstadt. If BMW delayed production of a new M3/M4 as long as the Model X and Model 3 have been delayed, the fanbois would gather in Munich and drink the Kool-Aid like Jamestown. I get it, it's really cool engineering, but the nutswinging is incomprehensible.

This is the final nail in the coffin for Consumer Reports IMO. Actual reliability reviewing sites like TrueDelta have shown that Tesla is off the charts when it comes to owner-reported issues. Edmunds' test car required an insanely extensive list of repairs including new drive motors and batteries. Consumer Reports is a joke.

A lot of the information is corrupt and is being paid for by the gas companies as well as the gas car companies. There is a ton of erroneous information out there on the financial stability of the company as well as how many cars are producing. I can only tell you I bought the stock at $25 I sold the lot at $200 thinking he couldn't possibly go higher....but I bought back in when it dropped to $210 and I think it's going to be a $400 stock one day. They are selling every car they can produce and if anybody is telling you otherwise they are full of crap. They have 27,000 orders for the model X and those have a $10,000 deposit on them. Just remember it's the same media delivering reports on Tesla that are separating the country and trying to divide everybody and have us believe crap that isn't true.

I picked up a pair of 2nd hand rollerblades at a garage sale that will get you there for free but i'm not bringing it up in anecdotal conversations.

If you're going to be that dense, let me do the math for you. Sometimes I forget that this is a public forum and not everyone has graduated high school or scored over 300 on their SAT's.

The usable portion of the Volt battery is 10kWh.

The Model S has an 85 kWh battery (if you drain it completely, which you won't)

If 10kWh is approx $1, 85 kWh is approx $8.50. In reality you will never be charging the battery from zero, so it will be less than $8.50.

Have run on your rollerblades. Don't forget to wear your helmet.

A lot of the information is corrupt and is being paid for by the gas companies as well as the gas car companies. There is a ton of erroneous information out there on the financial stability of the company as well as how many cars are producing. I can only tell you I bought the stock at $25 I sold the lot at $200 thinking he couldn't possibly go higher....but I bought back in when it dropped to $210 and I think it's going to be a $400 stock one day. They are selling every car they can produce and if anybody is telling you otherwise they are full of crap. They have 27,000 orders for the model X and those have a $10,000 deposit on them. Just remember it's the same media delivering reports on Tesla that are separating the country and trying to divide everybody and have us believe crap that isn't true.

I have no issue with their product or their technology, even though I think the interior is cheap. However, they have made billions of dollars off the sale of ZEV credits. The future viability of the company hinges on them being able to ween themselves off of this in order to post a profit. This income could disappear overnight with the stroke of a politician's pen.

at some point i will probably own one of these, but for $130k, the interior has to be up to par. could care less about cost savings---guess what?? when you can throw down $130k for a car, you couldn't give two shits about gas money savings.

still, very cool.

This is my response to anyone hating on poor mpg vehicles or huge mpg savers. If you are spending above $45,000 on any car, MPG is likely the last thing on your mind unless it is a diesel used for heavy towing/business.

This is my response to anyone hating on poor mpg vehicles or huge mpg savers. If you are spending above $45,000 on any car, MPG is likely the last thing on your mind unless it is a diesel used for heavy towing/business.

I agree, when you're spending that kind of money, the savings is really negligible. However it's the perception that is kind of fun. It feels like you're cheating the oil companies every time you don't fill up. Which it might just be me, but I love to give the middle finger to OPEC. In addition I put miles on the car more freely than I would on a gas vehicle. A gas vehicle when it approaches 100,000 miles is significantly devalued. Because these things have no real moving parts to the drivetrain other than a motor and gearbox, they should easily go 500,000 miles or more with little or no concern. The battery is warranted for eight years and unlimited miles. I guess what I'm saying, is when I'm taking a trip it seems like we always take the Tesla, because were not afraid to put miles on it. The new GPS software programs in all your stops at superchargers. You meet some really cool people that are very innovative at these chargers. From a business perspective, these innovators have been very helpful to me in developing some new business ideas.

I have a hard time with car people hating on the first major car company made within the last 50-60 years. Of course there are going to be growing pains.

The internal combustion engine is going to go away when oil goes away. Might be 50 years or 100 years or 200 years. We need something else. Electric seems to be it at the time being.

I have a hard time with car people hating on the first major car company made within the last 50-60 years. Of course there are going to be growing pains.

The internal combustion engine is going to go away when oil goes away. Might be 50 years or 100 years or 200 years. We need something else. Electric seems to be it at the time being.

I realize there's a lot of negativity in my comments but I don't hate Tesla. I hate the unconditional circlejerk that won't allow for any criticism of the company or its operation. Call a spade a spade. The BMW 7 series falls far behind it's MB/Audi competition but when I say that there's not a hoard of people jumping down my throat to defend BMW. I say something bad about Tesla and all of a sudden it's an OPEC conspiracy. Objective analysis is key and objectively, the Tesla Model S is not as good as it's made out to be. It's very, very good, but it's not flawlessly reliable and completely without criticisms.

Oil and gasoline will never run out but traditional fossil fuels will.

It's one thing for Tesla to be bleeding cash, but they are also threatened by traditional automakers who could adopt their business model at any time. Audi will launch an electric SUV similar to the Model X at around the same time.