Van Diemen RF78/79 Formula Ford "slider"

craig71188

Van Diemen RF78 Formula Ford, updated to RF79 bodywork & front radiator. No logbooks - car is being sold as a "slider" - No engine, gearbox or wheels. Wiring, most plumbing, fire system are all still intact. Belts are out of date. Car has been sitting since approx.'05 - and was not stored well. It would make a great parts car for a racer or restorer, or a significant project to bring back to race trim.

This was one of two cars we bought and the decision was made to focus on the other chassis.

Asking $2500

Pictures here:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5248620044.html

Edited by Mojoe
Up date info

This car is a BLAST to drive! Craig let me have a 'go' in it at last years fun event. Here is me 'babying' it around course on some cold tires.....GLWS, Craig!

Thanks Kale, but that's the OTHER car I need to sell!

I'm curious, are these chassis types still being raced competitively? if so, where?

Formula Ford is still a huge class with SCCA. However, the guys at the front of the field are running much newer chassis with inboard suspensions and aluminum heads on the Fords or the new Honda Fit engine.

This chassis would be suitable (and competitive) in "Club Formula Ford" - cars with outboard suspension front and rear (shocks outside the bodywork). This is a regional class with SCCA and bigger with some other organizations. FRCCA - Formula Race Car Club of America is big on the east coast on only runs formula cars. It would also be legal in some vintage organizations (SVRA? HSCR? ).

It could also be built to run autocross events - the formula fords are almost a "spec class" in SCCA as C-Modified cars.

Van Diemen is a well recognized manufacturer - and over 200 of this chassis were built (this is chassis #259 of the RF78 series). "RF78" indicating a 1978 model year chassis.

• 1 month later...