Rust Converter? (JASCO Prep & Primer, Corroseal, Rust Doctor)

Ry_Trapp01647545522

alright, so i'm using this stuff to prep the front and rear bumpers on my ford explorer for paint(AGAIN), it's a typical "rust converter" meaning it doesn't 'eat' the rust but rather turns the rust(iron oxide) into iron phosphate. after converting to iron phosphate, you're good to go, you can't paint right over it. but my problem is that they suggest using oil-based paints, as some epoxy and latex paints won't adhere. i'm looking to use some good ol' fashioned vatozone special primer-in-a-can though, such as rustoleum filler-primer(it's a rusted up '96 explorer - i'm not going for show quality here...). i've scoured the web for examples of what paints/primers/coatings that people have laid down over this stuff, but i can't find ANYTHING.

so, long story short, has anyone used a phosphoric acid and had success laying down a duplicolor/rustoleum rattle can paint or primer over it?

• 3 months later...

I'm bringing this thread up, as I'm looking to treat and repaint some areas of surface rust on my '78 Lincoln. Products like Rust Doctor and Corroseal convert rust to a hardened form (magnetite or iron phosphate). Anyone with experience using these products?

The Lincoln is a perfect candidate because it still has a super thick coating of "Quaker Seal" undercoating that's kept it surprisingly rust free. Just have some areas on the lower panels where rock chips have started to spread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I used POR-15 on an older BMW (325ix) I had rebuilt. Had no issues painting over it at all. Used rustoleum primer and paint (was underbody).

I had good experiences with POR15(including their Metal Ready product too). My last application was applying to the frame on my 05 duramax and few years ago. I have used POR15 in my corvettes and some customer cars I have worked on. I have never used any of these products on the topside or body, I have cut out the bad areas and repaired.

For surface rust, you need to sand or grind out and use etching primer like PPG DP90 and the the typical paint prep(or have Kevin Clifford to respray) and no more rust from that area.

Edited by RS69