Reloadeers, chime in

Radio Flyer1647545514

Any recommendations on what .223 die set up I should use?

I picked up my bench the other day from someone on craigslist. Global Industries pedestal cabinets with a 5' x 2.5'x2" piece of maple butcher block for the top.

RCBS Small Base FL dies if you're reloading for an auto loader. i.e. AR15

+1 on the RCBS dies. RCBS makes very good dies. You can also use the FL sizing dies if you can't find the small base. I've been using the regular RCBS FL .223 sizing die for over 10 years and have made thousands of rounds of 5.56 ammo for a WIDE variety of military semi-autos. Never had any issues with rounds being too tight in the chamber.

Make sure you use the CCI#41 Arsenal primers. I've had a couple of instances where the more sensitive CCI#400 small rifle primers slam fired and doubled in a couple of different rifles. Once I switched to the CCI#41 primers I never had the issue again.

+1 on the RCBS dies. RCBS makes very good dies. You can also use the FL sizing dies if you can't find the small base. I've been using the regular RCBS FL .223 sizing die for over 10 years and have made thousands of rounds of 5.56 ammo for a WIDE variety of military semi-autos. Never had any issues with rounds being too tight in the chamber.

Regular FL dies work great for 99% of stuff. I do have one .223 bbl I bought with a super tight match chamber that wouldn't accept rounds sized with my Dillon dies. So I bought the RCBS SB die and it works great.

2lbs of Hodgdon titegroup left at cabelas at 22 per lb if anyone is looking.

Anyone know where I can get some Ramshot TAC/ have any comments on it. I need to start getting some .223 loads worked up and this seems like a good choice to use. I want to give it a go and I'm going to try some H335 which I've been able to find easily. Any other spherical powder you recommend?

Looking at spherical since that seems to measure the most consistently in the dillon powder measure.

What's everyone using for scales? I just picked up a used Ohaus YJ 103 .001g scale. I hope it reads correct. It was off calibration with the 20gn weight quite frequently but I didn't give it anytime to warm up and the batteries I had died in 10 minutes so I hope that was the reason why. Waiting on the power cord to show up for it.

I'm looking at buying a balance beam scale for double checking but I'm going to look for a used one since I don't think it will get used all the time.

Does anyone use the Dillon Super Swager? I'm looking at getting it and the Frankford Arsenal case prep station.

I read a lot of mixed reviews on the Dillon Swager, especially on mixed brass but I guess you have to learn the feel of it to operate it on mixed brass.

The Frankford Arsenal case prep station I've used before and like, but I haven't used any other methods so I don't have anything else to compare it to.

What's everyone using for scales? I just picked up a used Ohaus YJ 103 .001g scale. I hope it reads correct. It was off calibration with the 20gn weight quite frequently but I didn't give it anytime to warm up and the batteries I had died in 10 minutes so I hope that was the reason why. Waiting on the power cord to show up for it.

I'm looking at buying a balance beam scale for double checking but I'm going to look for a used one since I don't think it will get used all the time.

Does anyone use the Dillon Super Swager? I'm looking at getting it and the Frankford Arsenal case prep station.

I read a lot of mixed reviews on the Dillon Swager, especially on mixed brass but I guess you have to learn the feel of it to operate it on mixed brass.

The Frankford Arsenal case prep station I've used before and like, but I haven't used any other methods so I don't have anything else to compare it to.

I use an RCBS Chargemaster for for test loads, precision stuff, and small batches. Works great. I also use an RCBS prep station that works very well.

Or better yet, sort your brass. Mixed brass is not good for accuracy. Producing accurate ammo is all about reducing variation.

2 scales are better than one for periodic checks against variation.

• 3 months later...

Well I ordered the Dillon Super Swage to take the crimp out of the military brass. I also picked up a Co Ax so I can make test rounds without messing around on my Dillon.

I have a Mr. Dial coming in that I need to try which I'll write a little review on. Seems to be a somewhat handy add on from what I read, don't know if it's worth the money or not yet at this point. I also picked up a primer track bearing plate, something else I'll add a review on to see if it's worth it. These two things cost about 60 dollars combined.

After using my friends Frankford case prep station I decided to drop the coin on the Giraud Power Trimmer. I thought about getting the tri way timmer from them but opted to spend the money and order the whole thing set up from them. Turn around time is less than a month which is much better than the 12+ weeks I was reading about online. Times must've been year old posts or the Christmas rush.

How are you guys cleaning your primer pockets and flash holes, or are you? With the trimmer coming in I don't know if it's worth it to buy a 3 station prep center for the flash holes and primer pockets or if I should just use the hand tools.

I've also been contemplating using SS pins to get the primer pockets clean during tumbling leaving me with only the flash hole to clean.

Well I ordered the Dillon Super Swage to take the crimp out of the military brass. I also picked up a Co Ax so I can make test rounds without messing around on my Dillon.

I have a Mr. Dial coming in that I need to try which I'll write a little review on. Seems to be a somewhat handy add on from what I read, don't know if it's worth the money or not yet at this point. I also picked up a primer track bearing plate, something else I'll add a review on to see if it's worth it. These two things cost about 60 dollars combined.

After using my friends Frankford case prep station I decided to drop the coin on the Giraud Power Trimmer. I thought about getting the tri way timmer from them but opted to spend the money and order the whole thing set up from them. Turn around time is less than a month which is much better than the 12+ weeks I was reading about online. Times must've been year old posts or the Christmas rush.

How are you guys cleaning your primer pockets and flash holes, or are you? With the trimmer coming in I don't know if it's worth it to buy a 3 station prep center for the flash holes and primer pockets or if I should just use the hand tools.

I've also been contemplating using SS pins to get the primer pockets clean during tumbling leaving me with only the flash hole to clean.

You really should use a primer pocket "uniformer" tool to prep your primer pockets. I purchased hand tool (Lyman?), unscrewed the cutter portion, then threaded a cap screw onto the cutter which I can chuck in a variable speed drill. Works great.

I used to use a small metal hand tool to scrape the carbon out of the pocket before using the uniforming tool described above, but I'm lazy and I just go straight to the uniformer, now. It may dull the cutting surfaces of the uniformer a bit faster, but it saves time and I can always buy another uniformer.

There is no need for stainless steel pin tumbling. I only use corn cob media now, but if you want something more abrasive, go with walnut shells.