CR Recommended handgun thread

Mojoe

Since this pops up every few weeks, here's a list of handguns that are recommended or not recommended to buy for novice shooters. I'm not locking this thread because I need people's input. I don't know shit about revolvers so this is a group effort for sure. I'll edit the list as more people post. This will be broken down by classification of gun and purpose, so there will be some overlap. I can also add more categories later on. This was writen by a CR member and is subject to updating.

I am skipping certain calibers on purpose. Rounds that are good defensive rounds but are hard to come by (9x18 Makarov, .357 Sig, .45 GAP) or simply overpowered for a novice (10mm, .44 Magnum) means that the person is far less likely to train. Defensive handgunning requires training whenever possible.

Everyone has an opinion on what they like. This list is more about what guns are proven to be reliable, high quality and generally well liked, along with being readily available and easy to find parts for/repair, especially for the CCW section. Because of this, regardless of how awesome one particular gun may be, if its hard to find or fix it doesn't belong on this list. Fanboys aside, I think we can all agree on what's crap and should be avoided at all costs.

As for the person ultimately looking to buy something - use this list as a reference, but nothing can replace actually holding a gun and firing it. Please rent before you buy. Everyone holds a gun differently, can manipulate the mag release and slide lock differently, and rack the slide differently.

Remember - train train train. Put your new gun through the paces, make sure it is reliable before depending on it with your life. Run at least a couple hundred rounds through it without an issue. If it has problems stop and evaluate the situation. Is it stovepiping, as in an empty shell is getting caught in the slide? Try locking your wrists and gripping it tighter. Is it having trouble feeding, or the slide not slamming all the way home? Make sure it's clean and lubricated, and the magazine is seated and locked in properly. Are you shooting consistently, but not where you are aiming? Have an experienced shooter give it a try - more likely than not your grip and how you are pulling the trigger is throwing off your shots. If several other people are also shooting off, or its still off when shooting from a supported rest the sights MAY need adjusted. If you are having real malfunctions, don't be afraid to send it back for warranty work instead of trying to screw with it yourself, or having Bubba down the street start mucking with it. This is one huge upside to buying new instead of used for your first gun, you aren't walking into someone else's problems. It's better to let the factory fix it than screw with it yourself.

Caliber choice is a tricky one - the debate will rage on forever whether you want to have more shots (9mm) or make bigger holes (.45). Going with .40 is the compromise between the two, but with today's defensive ammo the difference between them all is pretty minimal. If you still can't decide, you can't go wrong with 9mm. It's cheaper to buy, so it's cheaper to shoot, which means you can shoot more for the same money. It's also generally softer shooting than .40 or .45 in the same platform. To keep with the theme of being suggestions for novices and for simplicity sake, I'm not going to include anything larger than .45 ACP for semi autos and .357 magnum for revolvers.

Remember, these are suggestions for a novice shooter buying their first handgun. The goal is to get them into something that they enjoy immediately so they will keep shooting and not be discouraged by issues or discomfort from the start.

Here is the criteria to make this list. Not making the list doesn't mean not to ever consider it, just that it's not recommended for a novice shooter.

It must be:

Reliable

Accurate

Readily available at most average gun stores

Currently in production - can be bought new (no milsurp)

Ammo is widely available

Parts can be found locally or ordered online without too much trouble

Manufacturer must warranty it and fix it if it's not right

Solid fit and finish

Not too far away from the average price of competitors (not overly expensive)

Must be comfortable for most shooters

Not meeting one of these requirements isn't an automatic disqualification but means it will have to shine elsewhere, and will get a note about issues at the top. Not meeting two keeps it off the list. Not meeting three can start to push it towards the "do not buy" list, of which I also welcome suggestions. There are also guns that fit in the gray area where they can be useful, but aren't recommended for the novice shooter.

Reliability notes:

.380 in general - these are generally in the "mouse gun" or "pocket pistol" classification. These all tend to be hard to rack the slide, and I don't believe any of them have been proven to be 100% reliable. Suggested use is only if subcompacts can not be properly concealed. The Glock 42 has had some minor reliability problems, but otherwise is an excellent choice in this category.

Glock 19 has had a run recently with some sub-par parts, mainly involving extraction. After approximately 500-1,000 rounds they can begin extracting the brass very erratically, including into the shooter's face. They supposedly have fixed the problems. These can be fixed with aftermarket parts but it seems to be a crapshoot as to what combination of parts will fix each individual one. This problem affects Gen 3 and Gen 4 models. Problem solved.

Smith&Wesson M&P 9mm full size has had issues through most of their run of the barrel unlocking from the slide too early, causing "flyers" or occasional shots being way off target. This issue can be found immediately, and there's no way to tell if it's affected or not until firing it. An aftermarket barrel fixes the problem. It is still reliable, so it is otherwise still included on the list. This issue has been claimed to have been solved several times now, not sure if it's still an issue.

RECOMMENDED:

Concealed Carry:

.380 ACP (aka 9mm Kurz, 9x17mm, 9mm short)

Glock 42

Sig Sauer P238

Smith&Wesson Bodyguard

Walther PK380

9mm Luger (aka 9mm Parabellum, 9x19)

CZ 75 Compact

CZ P-01 (compact)

CZ P-07 Duty (compact)

Glock 19 (compact)

Glock 26 (subcompact)

Glock 43 (single stack subcompact)

Sig Sauer P229 (compact)

Sig Sauer P239 (subcompact)

Sig Sauer P938 (subcompact)

Ruger LC9 (subcompact)

Ruger SR9c (compact)

Smith&Wesson Shield 9mm (subcompact, single stack)

Smith&Wesson M&P 9c (compact)

Springfield XD Subcompact

Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact

Springfield XD-S (subcompact, single stack)

H&K P30 (compact)

H&K USP Compact

Walther PPS (subcompact)

.40 S&W

CZ P-06 (compact)

CZ P-07 Duty (compact)

Glock 23 (compact)

Glock 27 (subcompact)

Ruger SR40c (compact)

Sig Sauer P229 (compact)

Sig Sauer P239 (subcompact)

Smith&Wesson Shield .40 (subcompact, single stack)

Smith&Wesson M&P .40c (compact)

Springfield XD Subcompact

H&K P30 (compact)

H&K USP Compact

Walther PPS (subcompact)

.38 Special/.357 Magnum (revolver)

Ruger LCR

Smith&Wesson J Frame

.45 ACP (.45 Auto)

Glock 30 (subcompact)

Glock 36 (subcompact, single stack)

H&K USP Compact

Nightstand/Home Defense duty:

9mm Luger (aka 9mm Parabellum, 9x19)

CZ 75 (fullsize)

CZ 75 Compact

CZ P-01 (compact)

CZ P-07 Duty (compact)

CZ P-09 Duty (fullsize)

FN FNS (fullsize)

FN FNP (fullsize)

FN FNX (fullsize)

Glock 19 (compact)

Glock 17 (fullsize)

Ruger SR9c (compact)

Sig Sauer P226 (fullsize)

Sig Sauer P229 (compact)

Smith&Wesson M&P 9mm Fullsize

Smith&Wesson M&P 9c (compact)

Springfield XD Service (compact)

Springfield XDM 3.8 (compact)

Springfield XDM 4.5 (fullsize)

H&K P30 (compact)

H&K USP (fullsize)

H&K USP Compact

Walther PPQ (fullsize)

Walther PPX (fullsize)

.40 S&W

CZ 75 (fullsize)

CZ P-06 (compact)

CZ P-07 Duty (compact)

CZ P-09 Duty (fullsize)

FN FNS (fullsize)

FN FNP (fullsize)

FN FNX (fullsize)

Glock 23 (compact)

Glock 22 (fullsize)

Ruger SR40c (compact)

Sig Sauer P226 (fullsize)

Sig Sauer P229 (compact)

Smith&Wesson M&P .40 Fullsize

Smith&Wesson M&P .40c (compact)

Springfield XDM 3.8 (compact)

H&K P30 (compact)

H&K USP (fullsize)

H&K USP Compact

Walther PPQ (fullsize)

Walther PPX (fullsize)

.38 Special/.357 Magnum (revolver)

Smith&Wesson K frame

Smith&Wesson L frame

.45 ACP (aka .45 Auto)

1911 Variant (see below)

Glock 21 (fullsize)

FN FNP (fullsize)

FN FNX (fullsize)

Smith&Wesson M&P .45 Fullsize

Smith&Wesson M&P .45 Midsize

Smith&Wesson M&P .45c (compact)

H&K HK45c (compact)

H&K HK45 (fullsize)

H&K USP (fullsize)

H&K USP Compact

• 1 year later...
I picked one up when they first came out, vances had them on sale for 279. 100x better than the original lcp. Comfort, trigger, sights, way better.

I've heard this. OVO Chilli didn't have any in on Monday when I didn't not didn't purchase a new toy, which I wouldn't because guns are bad and I sold all of mine.

Talked to the guys about them though. They seemed most impressed over the original.

Did get to handle one at Bud's when we were in TN. Much better. I think Ruger went, "Hey, let's build this thing the way we should have the first time."

There are several new guns to the market in the last 10 months. Some of this is due to the Gov contract open for a new serve pistol. M&P 2.0 info came out this week, Ruger american pistol, Glock Gen4 S and a few others, along with what is listed in the above posts. I'll update this soon, so keep the suggestions coming. I'd like some data/experiance before just putting a gun on the list. EX. Hipoint. I have a school eating up my life right now, so this will likely happen in February, once more info is released for the new guns.

There are several new guns to the market in the last 10 months. Some of this is due to the Gov contract open for a new serve pistol. M&P 2.0 info came out this week, Ruger american pistol, Glock Gen4 S and a few others, along with what is listed in the above posts. I'll update this soon, so keep the suggestions coming. I'd like some data/experiance before just putting a gun on the list. EX. Hipoint. I have a school eating up my life right now, so this will likely happen in February, once more info is released for the new guns.

As for data/experience, I can only speak for the FN's out of the new ones listed. Aside from what you already know or can find online, I can speak on experience if you want. If ya don't want that's cool too. :)

• Casper unpinned this topic