LOL

Major_golf

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that kill most performance shops is when the owners try to get to big an forget what brought the customers to them in the first place. Overhead cost are expensive when you go from $1500 a Month in rent to $15,000

Please don't try to give business advice. I'm sure this thread stirs you up a bit, but it's not a good topic for you to critique.

Why is this tread turning into what company is better than the other.

This is not a race you are in. And, this is the Kitchen, it can turn into anything.

Boom.....IPS Doors are closed.....Stuff all over Craigslist.

Any good deals? Link to items?

I know nothing about running a business, and never will. 3 years ago I flew a tech out to my house to install parts on my gtr. Speed by design was the company. I was thoroughly impressed with the service I received. After two years, my car started running like shit. With no way of diagnosing it other than by description to the owner of the company, Chris---he flew out to my house (I only paid for his flight) and helped me install new pumps and injectors on the car, and tune it for no cost. The car has run flawlessly ever since, and he forever has a customer in me.

His background was that of an equipment representative in orthopedic surgery. He quit that job to form speed by design. In asking him all about his business I learned he only installs parts and has a shop to offer a service to customers who want parts installed. He does very few "big builds", and tries to avoid them. 95% of his profit is from selling performance parts---plain and simple.

The vast growth/complexity of the automotive industry and wide variety of cars/technological advancement makes it impossible to keep up with all brands and retain a mastery of each. Think about the average car today vs 15 years ago. When someone says "build me a mustang", think about how many different motor/trans combos have been utilized, and realize finding techs who can master all that information, while working in a potentially unstable work climate (vs a 9-5 dealership job with benefits/etc) is near impossible. Go to a dealership, and you'll find techs who have been there for 30 years. Go to a shop, and people come and go.

With changes in the economy, it's tough to predict or prepare for variations in how willing people are to spend money on things (increased hp) that will eventually cause the car to break and thus, spend more money/hassle to fix. Personally, I would never invest in a performance shop, and cringe at the thought of going through the process of a "big build". I'm more likely to come along and buy the "big build" after its already been completed and sorted out

Any good deals? Link to items?

I know nothing about running a business, and never will. 3 years ago I flew a tech out to my house to install parts on my gtr. Speed by design was the company. I was thoroughly impressed with the service I received. After two years, my car started running like shit. With no way of diagnosing it other than by description to the owner of the company, Chris---he flew out to my house (I only paid for his flight) and helped me install new pumps and injectors on the car, and tune it for no cost. The car has run flawlessly ever since, and he forever has a customer in me.

His background was that of an equipment representative in orthopedic surgery. He quit that job to form speed by design. In asking him all about his business I learned he only installs parts and has a shop to offer a service to customers who want parts installed. He does very few "big builds", and tries to avoid them. 95% of his profit is from selling performance parts---plain and simple.

The vast growth/complexity of the automotive industry and wide variety of cars/technological advancement makes it impossible to keep up with all brands and retain a mastery of each. Think about the average car today vs 15 years ago. When someone says "build me a mustang", think about how many different motor/trans combos have been utilized, and realize finding techs who can master all that information, while working in a potentially unstable work climate (vs a 9-5 dealership job with benefits/etc) is near impossible. Go to a dealership, and you'll find techs who have been there for 30 years. Go to a shop, and people come and go.

With changes in the economy, it's tough to predict or prepare for variations in how willing people are to spend money on things (increased hp) that will eventually cause the car to break and thus, spend more money/hassle to fix. Personally, I would never invest in a performance shop, and cringe at the thought of going through the process of a "big build". I'm more likely to come along and buy the "big build" after its already been completed and sorted out

He's a great help with GTRs too. I've seen varying reviews, but personally the guy goes above and beyond.