Buick Lacrosse...opinions?

2 Sweet

My girlfriend is looking to buy a car in a few months when the lease is up on her 2013 Focus, which might be the worst car I've ever driven. Seriously, it's terrible. She basically asked me to choose a car for her, and keeping in mind what SHE wants in a car, here's the criteria:

2010 or newer

4-door mid/full size

FWD, automatic

Decent on gas

Comfortable

Reliable (she will probably keep the car 5-10 years)

Under 50k miles (the less the better obviously)

Under $15k

I'll be driving the car a lot, so it can't completely suck. I'm already 0 for 2 with it being FWD and auto, so it needs to have a little power and not look terrible either. We both like Buicks a lot, and the Lacrosse with the 3.6 seems like it would be a good fit. I figure we'll also look at the Impala, Regal, Taurus, Fusion, Accord, Mazda 6, and Legacy. In the end she will pick what she likes best, but I feel like the Lacrosse will probably be the one she likes most in her price range.

I've read a lot on forums but would like to hear what CR thinks. I know most of you typically hate any GM that isn't LS powered, but that's fine, I'm always looking for objective opinions. I know there are GM techs on here too, so any insight you could provide would be cool.

So, what ya got? :cool:

They are nice but more suited for old people. I'd highly recommend a Regal with the 2.0t.

Another vote for the Regal 2.0t, my mom just picked one up last April. It may be just outside of your price range (I am thinking around the 17-20k if the prices are around the same as last April) but they are very nice cars and you won't want to blow your brains out every time you drive it.

6t70 had numerous issues especially wave plate failures that if left go for too long will ruin the transmission. 2010 and older.

3.6 had timing chain, oil consumption, and fuel system issues 2010 and older

Thanks, good to know. I'll go ahead and cross 2010s off the list

6t70 had numerous issues especially wave plate failures that if left go for too long will ruin the transmission. 2010 and older.

Correct. 12 or newer on the lacrosse. The regal have timing chain issues on the non turbo models, and the the turbo models I've seen a lot of issues.

Geesh. Id stay away from the Buicks altogether if you have to look at 12+...those are still new enough where they will probably be saying the same things about them in 5 years...."stay away from the 15 and earlier ones" LOL.

I'm daily-ing this 15 Rav4 and its everything you have mentioned you are looking for. gets 28mpgs combined and I dont mind it for being FWD. Ours is a lease being a 15 and all, but you might find a slightly used one for around your price. Inside is certainly comfortable, good features...not a terrible look to them, and sitting up like a slightly taller car is kind of nice, especially with winter coming. Odds are you would find AWD though...as it seems these base 2WDs are all lease specials ;)

2010-2014 Ecotec has been identified as having the same issues. The DI fucked my engine up, had a rebuild under warrenty, and still isn't the same. Change oil frequently and you may prevent some issues. Don't follow the dealer recommended schedule, do it every 3k miles.

Geesh. Id stay away from the Buicks altogether if you have to look at 12+...those are still new enough where they will probably be saying the same things about them in 5 years...."stay away from the 15 and earlier ones" LOL.

I'm daily-ing this 15 Rav4 and its everything you have mentioned you are looking for. gets 28mpgs combined and I dont mind it for being FWD. Ours is a lease being a 15 and all, but you might find a slightly used one for around your price. Inside is certainly comfortable, good features...not a terrible look to them, and sitting up like a slightly taller car is kind of nice, especially with winter coming. Odds are you would find AWD though...as it seems these base 2WDs are all lease specials ;)

There is a reason why I'm a GM tech but drive a Holden and a Toyota.