Gas Prices

BStowers023

Was always 10c between grades up until maybe 5 years ago, when I started seeing 15c between grades. It's only been in the last couple months that I've seen a pumps with 20c between, and none at 25c.

It's a $1.50 span here from regular to premium.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a $1.50 span here from regular to premium.

you tend to see this mostly around rural gas stations/stations in travel centers along major interstates. Drive around Polaris and you'll see a $.30-40 gap from reg/prem, go up one exit to Delaware/Sunbury off I71 and it's a $.80 gap.

Bullshit.

How does the strong USD play into this? much effect?

Damn, just saw this question. Sorry for the wait on this one.

Typically the relationship between the dollar and crude prices are inverse. Meaning that a strong dollar will bring the price of crude down some, and vice versa. All crude is traded on the dollar, but if you use something else for currency, then the exchange rate will essentially add either a premium or a discount when purchasing crude.

Just checked Gas Buddy. Cheapest Regular in my vicinity is Ghetto BP at Hague & Sullivant, at $1.67. Conversely, their Premium is $2.37, a 70¢ difference.

The BP in Grandview is the closest station to me. Their Regular is $1.85, but their Premium is only $2.28 - only 43¢ difference.

So what gives with these places?

Couple things on the gas price spread. One, gas prices are far more regional than national, so that spread is going to look different depending on where you are. Two, for a while there, refineries moved away from refining the high test gasoline, instead producing more of the low test stuff. As the economy has improved and oil prices have fallen, refineries are moving back into it, but that doesn't happen overnight. Three, MANY more cars in the last 5 years are "requiring" high test fuel, and the people that own those cars are doing well enough to actually BUY the fuel that the manufacturer is asking for. So, from where I sit, it's really just a case of supply and demand in this case. Supply fell, demand increased, supply is ramping back up, but in the meantime, you are paying a premium fo dat "Premium", yo.

you tend to see this mostly around rural gas stations/stations in travel centers along major interstates. Drive around Polaris and you'll see a $.30-40 gap from reg/prem, go up one exit to Delaware/Sunbury off I71 and it's a $.80 gap.

Bullshit.

Yeah I live in the sticks unfortunately. Gap has fallen closer to $1-1.25 lately but still hovering at just under $3/gal for premium. My buddy advised me to try a few stations a couple towns away where they don't advertise their premium but they are closer to $0.75 more than regular which should put it under $2.50/gal.

Any ideas when prices will start to shoot back up like they inevitably will?

If I knew that, I wouldn't be dicking around on ColumbusRacing talking to you degenerates. :lol:

Seriously, though....NO. I wish. That is what makes Commodities "not" stocks. You can't just buy some and sit on them, because you will, eventually, have to deliver. So, there is, essentially, an "expiration date" on commodities futures. That being said, If I were trading, I would be long crude right now, and NG for that matter.

Yeah I live in the sticks unfortunately. Gap has fallen closer to $1-1.25 lately but still hovering at just under $3/gal for premium. My buddy advised me to try a few stations a couple towns away where they don't advertise their premium but they are closer to $0.75 more than regular which should put it under $2.50/gal.

Ended up panning out better than I expected. Got premium for $2.29/gal which was only $0.60 more than premium. Way better than the local $2.80+, and the station is only ~20 minutes away so not too bad of a drive to get it.

So would you guys recommend buying now? I know this sounds dumb, but I have an IRA that's just sitting there as a waste of life (previous company rollover). I could cash some of that out and buy crude- think I'd make more than the IRA? So far I've lost $400 this year.

So would you guys recommend buying now? I know this sounds dumb, but I have an IRA that's just sitting there as a waste of life (previous company rollover). I could cash some of that out and buy crude- think I'd make more than the IRA? So far I've lost $400 this year.

USO

Shall we place a gentlemens wager? $50 says that (if we even remember in a year) the price of oil does not close below $35. We could do it on the daily close or the monthly, I'll let you pick.

Don't look now, but Crude in the prompt month is touching ~$39.xx today... :dumb:

Hope I don't lose $50.