Staff and business etiquette

Lauren

Well as an update to this thread, i reached out and sent him a message. He was extremely flattered that i would reach out to him and offer him a position but he politely declined and said he was happy with where he was for now.

So this leads me to believe that i either should give up on him and move on or offer a position to his other team members and hope they come along over to me lol. So i will pursue the later action. Ideally i need one new female and one new male instructor. I know if i can get them to my studio the rest of the core students would follow them to me.

What i do know is they are at a franchise which is all about selling and not really about dancing. We are the opposite and these young teachers i am trying to lure to me are focused on becoming better dancers which we can offer and support. We would also be paying them three times what they currently make. The problem i am having as these teachers have been brain washed into thinking the franchise system is the only way and a non franchise studio can't offer them anything, however they are losing their clients to us left and right. Oh the joys of trying to find staff.

ANd to address what was said earlier, There are alot of people in columbus. I have placed several adds trying to hire. The problem is number one this generation is lazy. Training is 6-8 weeks to learn to start to become a teacher. Industry standard is training is not paid since we are investing alot of time and energy into you. SO trying to find one person to commit to that is a challenge. I'm trying to snipe a few active teachers so they can produce asap while i slowly train a few homegrown under me.

Perhaps try a difference approach- pay them for their training. If you can afford to pay someone 3x their current pay (assuming they make 10 an hour now, that's $30 per hour/61k a year), surely you can pay someone 10-12/hour during their training.

Also, it seems strange that'd you message him a job offer. Perhaps a coffee chat to show the benefits of joining your company and then you offer would have been good? If people can't see why joining you is beneficial, show them. If you can't, it's not really beneficial.

Perhaps try a difference approach- pay them for their training. If you can afford to pay someone 3x their current pay (assuming they make 10 an hour now, that's $30 per hour/61k a year), surely you can pay someone 10-12/hour during their training.

Also, it seems strange that'd you message him a job offer. Perhaps a coffee chat to show the benefits of joining your company and then you offer would have been good? If people can't see why joining you is beneficial, show them. If you can't, it's not really beneficial.

This. Actually meeting up with the person and showing interest looks leaps n bounds better than just some sly impersonal message sent to him.

I am going to wait a few weeks and then offer to take him and his wife out to dinner and try a different approach.

No i will not pay to train someone. A person training isn't making the company any money and i would be taking away from my valuable time to train them. I can afford to pay a person x dollar amount because they are selling a lesson at x dollar and its paid for ahead of time. Not to mention i would pay to train someone and then watch them leave to a competitor after i have fully trained them. nah aint happening.

No i will not pay to train someone. A person training isn't making the company any money and i would be taking away from my valuable time to train them. I can afford to pay a person x dollar amount because they are selling a lesson at x dollar and its paid for ahead of time. Not to mention i would pay to train someone and then watch them leave to a competitor after i have fully trained them. nah aint happening.

The joys of business owner. This scenario happened to us many times. If you treat them fair and well they'll come back to you.

I've obviously not worked in your industry, but the only places I know of that refuse to compensate you at all during your training period are typically the kinds of places you wouldn't want to work/end up being some type of MLM bullshit. You want the best employees, you have to treat them differently then other employers do. As Gump said, you treat folks fairly and with respect, and they won't want to leave.

Our industry is different. It's not MLM or anything like it. You cant compare it to a normal company. I guess the training period is more like an unpaid internship or like you are going to school to get a degree. In training you arent actually an employee of the company either.

Right now its my wife and I as employees of our company and we have 3 subcontractors for us. We treat people very fairly with respect and compensation. If it is one thing we both know its how to treat people (insert golf tickets joke here).

What i do know is they are at a franchise which is all about selling and not really about dancing. We are the opposite and these young teachers i am trying to lure to me are focused on becoming better dancers which we can offer and support. We would also be paying them three times what they currently make. The problem i am having as these teachers have been brain washed into thinking the franchise system is the only way and a non franchise studio can't offer them anything, however they are losing their clients to us left and right. Oh the joys of trying to find staff.

THIS, this is your sales pitch. That being said I wouldn't just message them and offer them a job. Ask them to meet for a cup of coffee or lunch even. Warm up with regular conversation, you're obviously in the same industry ask how they're doing then make your sales pitch. Most people (like your initial target) will be flattered. Your biggest sales points are better pay, better teaching environment, more students, and more room to grow. Personally to me it sounds like a no-brainer.

I understand your reservation's about paid-training but some good points were made. Bucking the trend of an "unpaid internship" and turning it into paid training will attract better personnel. As for the first guy you were going after, I would just communicate that its an open invitation until the position is filled but constantly badgering him might put him off.

Remember, we live in a round world. What go around will come around. There are millions of people in Cbus, do you really have to stoop that low.

What's wrong with someone going to work for a competitor if said competitor is offering better pay, better working conditions and more students?

That's not 'stooping low' that's just common business sense. If the original employer would treat his employee's better they wouldn't be in the position of having their teacher's being poached.

What's wrong with someone going to work for a competitor if said competitor is offering better pay, better working conditions and more students?

That's not 'stooping low' that's just common business sense. If the original employer would treat his employee's better they wouldn't be in the position of having their teacher's being poached.

This local studio already hates me as I have taken their main clientele over the last year. Infact this teacher I am trying to recruit would be able to teach his old students under My roof. With him coming over to me it would put the nail in the coffin for this studio locally. My sales numbers would increase 100% or more with him teaching for me. It's the next step our business has to take to stay on track to what our business plan projects.

There's nothing with wanting someone else working for you. My karma remark was for his post about ill-wish on his competitors.

Steal away

I prefer to move up in the world.

Respectfully, your first quote usually leads to a short-lived second quote.

I need to chime in on this (and I guess, the general footprint that the thread makes).

I couldn’t fathom trying to “steal away” business with the end goal of “moving up in the world” (on so many different levels).

OP, Grow your business bearing 2 things in mind regarding “business strategy”…

1. Reputation matters.

2. What goes around comes around.

I leave those vague enough to make people think further ahead. Then again, it’s tough to walk the straight-and-narrow for some.

You might just need to sweeten the deal a bit. I do agree with a base training pay, though yes it CAN be costly. Working off the $10/hr ratio, you could do something like offer to backpay and cover the training fully after working for you for 6 months. If you are correct, and you do see an influx of students, then the instructor will have payed for himself easily by then. If not, then it was an unfortunate investment, and you can cut your losses.

Either way, it IS a difficult scenario, and you don't want to pester him too much. Knowledge and presentation is key here.