Home server geeks

Tractor

Ok, I've had 2012r2 server running on one of my old PC's for a while and it's been working pretty well except that reason I stopped using that PC and built a new one keeps coming up. Random system errors, loses HDD connectivity. Happens a couple times per week and I'm getting to the point where I want to get different hardware to fix it.

Current specs are an ASUS P5Q SE2 with an Intel Q9550 Core 2 Quad Processor and 8GB of RAM.

This setup is working fine as far as performance goes and I've got 2 virtual servers running as well for the fun and learning of it all.

I'm considering going to an AMD based machine because I've been able to find stupid cheap ECC memory for it which is always good for a server.

Any thoughts on where to get or what AMD processor/mobo combo will allow virtualization ie Hyper-V? I found that current intel processors don't always support virtualization. I'd like to keep this about the same specs as my Intel machine because I don't need more other than more RAM if I can get stuff that will support more.

I'm also open to buying a used server and am googling a few places that sell them at reasonable prices. That actually might turn out to be the way to go, IDK.

Have you attempted to figure out why the current box keeps crashing? Symptoms seem to point to sketchy power, bad RAM, or maybe a failing north bridge. The first I've seen a LOT over the years, and the second occasionally. The third would be a first, but the combination of RAM+HDD issues puts that possibility in play.

From a Server guy please stay away from server hardware for the house unless you have a space to quiet the server down. I had a Dell 2950 and it worked well, but sooo darn loud and expensive (power hungry) to run.

Go for a case with a 120 mm fan. Go Intel and cannot think a reason to run ECC memory? Also why do you think running VM's on Intel processors is an issue. I am running (Lightly) a Celeron processors with 8 gig of RAM (Win 2016 Tech review) without issues. It is also the house NAS/Storage device with a couple Terabytes of disk space..

For virtualization (I use proxmox) I run a Dell c1100 at home. It is much quieter than expected, although initial bootup it sounds like it wants to lift off the ground.

http://i.imgur.com/DgDnKAF.jpg

Keep an eye on ebay, there have been really good deals in the past on them. You won't beat dual hyperthreaded quadcores with any AMD setup in a similar price range, especially with the lower power consumption of the "L" xeons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-CS24-TY-Intel-Xeon-L5520-X2-32GB-RAM-Single-P-S-/272052074160?hash=item3f579136b0:g:k5IAAOSwZVhWT6HS

From a Server guy please stay away from server hardware for the house unless you have a space to quiet the server down. I had a Dell 2950 and it worked well, but sooo darn loud and expensive (power hungry) to run.

Go for a case with a 120 mm fan. Go Intel and cannot think a reason to run ECC memory? Also why do you think running VM's on Intel processors is an issue. I am running (Lightly) a Celeron processors with 8 gig of RAM (Win 2016 Tech review) without issues. It is also the house NAS/Storage device with a couple Terabytes of disk space..

This is sound advice.

Have you attempted to figure out why the current box keeps crashing? Symptoms seem to point to sketchy power, bad RAM, or maybe a failing north bridge. The first I've seen a LOT over the years, and the second occasionally. The third would be a first, but the combination of RAM+HDD issues puts that possibility in play.

From googling my current main board it's a pretty common problem for them to have hdd dropping problems and random crashes.

Virtualization isn't always supported by all Intel processor and mother board combos. At least where hyper v and vmware is concerned. Even processors listed as supporting VT-x won't necessarily run the software because of other requirements such as EDT, VT-d, etc not being supported. In checking compatibility with Google searches over the past few weeks I've found many times people buy new components then found out the hard way that vmware or hyper v won't work.

Just trying to avoid that.

From googling my current main board it's a pretty common problem for them to have hdd dropping problems and random crashes.

Interesting... what kind of budget are you playing with here? I've seen a lot of Dell R720 and R730 machines around the office, both our own and owned by customers we know are doing their own virtualization work.

Chris - These are optimized servers and built to support Virtualization (They should). I still have ran into an Intel proc that would not support it (Assume they may not be optimized to run it). As for HypV and VMware they are the most prevalent with the exception of maybe Rev for Linux?

Seriously grab a Mid range Core i7 and 16 - 32 Gigs of RAM and be stable/happy.