TWC Internet with a power outage

TonyG

So today we lost our power. My back up generator came on and everything else in the house worked outside of my internet. I tried to chat with TWC and needless to say it was a waste of time. I am just trying to figure out if this is normal or not. When the power came back on and my generator shut off, my internet began working immediately...so I think I know the answer but figured someone might know why and how.

Thanks

Yeah I guess I had thought if I had a back up generator I would get internet. But I guess the node also lose power so it really doesnt matter.

What back up generator do you have?

When people are buying home stand by systems they automatically think that they will have cable/internet in a power outage. If your cable company looses power in the area as well were the signal is coming from then you loose that as well.

I recommend for people to get a HD antenna so during weather events you can stay up on anything.

Yeah I guess I had thought if I had a back up generator I would get internet. But I guess the node also lose power so it really doesnt matter.

I think it's disgraceful that they are allowed to operate as a phone carrier and are not required to use UPSs on their equipment.

They don't even provide battery backups for their phone equipment anymore

We had ATT at my last apartment. They installed a battery backup with it. When we went to UPS to return our equipment they told us that they aren't accepting battery backups anymore. So now i am stuck with one. Thinking i could cut the connector off and use it for something else.

So today we lost our power. My back up generator came on and everything else in the house worked outside of my internet. I tried to chat with TWC and needless to say it was a waste of time. I am just trying to figure out if this is normal or not. When the power came back on and my generator shut off, my internet began working immediately...so I think I know the answer but figured someone might know why and how.

Thanks

It is pretty normal.

The Cable Node is powered by commercial AC line power. This is the last/lowest priority when restoring power. It is common for commercial line power to take additional time to be restored after a power outage.

I used to get this question all the time when I worked at TWC