International travel?

macpyro2

Wife and I are taking our honeymoon here in the near future. UK destination, specifically London. Having been around the world with the Air Force I have no problem traveling except when it comes to logistics as it was taken care of for us. I am wondering who everyone goes through for this? Flights, Hotels? I am currently looking at typical travel sites like Travelocity and Expedia. I am wondering if there is a better way, better deals?

My uncle is from Europe and travels back and forth to the states a few times a year. He swears by find the cheapest flight from the US into anywhere over there and then getting from country to country and place to place once you are over there is dirt cheap vs trying to fly directly into a large main place like London.

Meh. I've traveled to london for pleasure, and i've worked in the UK. I usually plan every aspect of our trips. We just did 2 weeks in Hawaii. I liked the flexibility of my own planning, researching reviews on VRBO, etc.

Recommendations for London:

Don't get a rental car. Its a disaster and not worth it. Though when in other parts of the UK I drove with no issues, however I did get the UK maps for my GPS which helped tremendously.

I usually search for deals on hotels on the normal sites. Though with London being expensive, i found the best deal was cashing in my Holiday Inn Points.

For flights i'm increasingly fond of Google flights.

We only had 3 days there. I mapped out all the places I wanted to see and organized them by relative location and open times to try and maximize what we do. If you wait to get there and plan you will waste a ton of time. Also buying tickets in advance is your friend to avoid spending your vacation waiting in line, obviously this service isn't available for all attractions but if its available, do it.

Be Prepared to spend a ton of money on admission to places (like ridiculous). A ton of money on food, that just was not worth it.

While you think ahead, take a snapshot of the city in google maps and save it locally so you don't need data but can still use it to navigate.

The Tube (subway) is your friend.

After having been there I was not impressed. But I hate big dirty cities with inconvenient travel.

Meh. I've traveled to london for pleasure, and i've worked in the UK. I usually plan every aspect of our trips. We just did 2 weeks in Hawaii. I liked the flexibility of my own planning, researching reviews on VRBO, etc.

Recommendations for London:

Don't get a rental car. Its a disaster and not worth it. Though when in other parts of the UK I drove with no issues, however I did get the UK maps for my GPS which helped tremendously.

I usually search for deals on hotels on the normal sites. Though with London being expensive, i found the best deal was cashing in my Holiday Inn Points.

For flights i'm increasingly fond of Google flights.

We only had 3 days there. I mapped out all the places I wanted to see and organized them by relative location and open times to try and maximize what we do. If you wait to get there and plan you will waste a ton of time. Also buying tickets in advance is your friend to avoid spending your vacation waiting in line, obviously this service isn't available for all attractions but if its available, do it.

Be Prepared to spend a ton of money on admission to places (like ridiculous). A ton of money on food, that just was not worth it.

While you think ahead, take a snapshot of the city in google maps and save it locally so you don't need data but can still use it to navigate.

The Tube (subway) is your friend.

After having been there I was not impressed. But I hate big dirty cities with inconvenient travel.

Good stuff. I will check on google.