2005 STI: SCCA RallyX build (Second Stage complete.)

Draco-REX

Thought I'd try to make one of these project threads. I kind of missed the boat with the BRZ, but this should be a fun build. I'm not planning anything as extensive as the BRZ with this car, but I do have a specific goal in mind:

SCCA RallyCross Modified AWD National Champion.

Yup, I want to win it all with this car. While I believe my WRX was capable of claiming the title, I think it would have required a good day on my part and a bad day on my competitor's. Specifically, Warren Elliot in his EVO IX. He is a fast driver in a car built for this kind of competition. This past year he won by over 23 seconds.

I need two things to beat him:

1. I need to be at the top of my game. After taking a year off of RallyX due to not having a suitable car, this will be a tough one. So I'm just shooting for a podium this year. Next year I want the gold.

2. I need a car that can step up to the EVO. Another EVO would seem to be the best choice. But I am MUCH more familiar with the GD Impreza platform. Additionally, the EVO, in my experience, has an Achilles heel. The intake hoses have a tendency to pop off when driving hard over rough surfaces. I'm sure that can be minimized, but it's a headache I don't need.

So my plan calls for an STI. The choice of year came down to the transmission. 2004 was the first year for the STI in the US. While it has the DCCD center diff (which my old WRX lacked) it lacks a yaw rate sensor and the front diff is a Suretrac. 2005 saw the introduction of a yaw sensor and a change to a Torsen front diff. 2006 had no major changes to the driveline, but 2007 saw taller 2-4 gears.

With my experience with the 6-speed I swapped into the WRX, I decided that I wanted the lower 2nd gear, so a 2007+ was out leaving the 2005 and 2006 STIs as the sweet spot. I much prefer the look of the 2006, but I wasn't able to locate one that fit my budget. I did, however, find a 2005.

The starter for my build:

Meet "Simo", the 2005 STI. (I bet at least one of you will figure out the name)

24359387030_11375d2b56_b.jpg

A previous owner traded the rear wing away, unfortunately. I happen to like the big STI wing, so I'll be looking into finding another STI owner to trade with. Either that or I might look into getting an actual functional wing, or a WRC replica. Dunno yet, and that's way down the to-do list.

24359379000_9328ccebe8_b.jpg

The headlights are pretty foggy. But they shouldn't be too hard to clear up. This car is also covered in PERRIN logos. :p Those are all going away.

24546522532_35ff02d2d5_b.jpg

The tail lights have silly blueish "white" reverse bulbs and cheap tint. The tint is flaking too. Also the car doesn't have a third brake light without the spoiler. I'll probably need to remedy that. The exhaust can is slated to get the axe once I can get the car to Mad Hatter.

24359373260_b82bd8f768_b.jpg

Janky looking intake and a full turbo-back exhaust. From what I gathered from the previous owner, I think Thorne did the tune on this car. It pulls hard and spools very fast. I'm happy with the tune. However, the intake needs to go. The air filter hangs too low for RallyX. I need to change it to a short ram which may require a re-tune. So I need to find another tuner to give it a once-over.

24629717726_f12c4d4cf1_b.jpg

The interior is in good condition. Short shifter, Yay! Perrin lozenge knob and lots of play in the lever, Boo! Got a new knob and lever extension coming.

In this thread, I hope to keep track of my progress getting this car into fighting shape and my competition results as I head towards my goal of TOTAL DOMINATION!

Edited by Draco-REX

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step 1: The Once-Over

Gotta get the car fully checked out and the fluids changed.

The transmission is getting Motul 300. I've used both this and Subaru Extra S before. While the Extra S made for smoother shifting, it only lasted about 1 season of racing before the notchiness returned. Motul survived two season.

Rear diff gets Motul 90PA. Haven't used anything different, so I figure if it worked well for me in the past....

Amsoil for the engine. Love this stuff, but it's usually such a PITA to get. But, I just found out that the Andersons off Sawmill stocks Amsoil! Where the hell have I been? That made my day when I found out.

Soon as the Fumoto valve arrives, off all this goes to ZB for a full check up.

The coolant and brake fluid will be changed later when I do the radiator and brake swap.

I had a hard choice between the 2005 sti and the 2014 wrx that I ended up getting. Looks like a solid car, nice pick up.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything, based on your aparments I'm pretty sure I am in the same complex and I have some of the bigger tools if you need a hand with anything.

I had a hard choice between the 2005 sti and the 2014 wrx that I ended up getting. Looks like a solid car, nice pick up.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything, based on your aparments I'm pretty sure I am in the same complex and I have some of the bigger tools if you need a hand with anything.

Thanks for the offer. Looking at my list, I think I can handle everything, but if something comes up, I'll let you know. If you see me working on my cars, feel free to stop by and say hi. I'm always willing to chat.

Thanks for the offer. Looking at my list, I think I can handle everything, but if something comes up, I'll let you know. If you see me working on my cars, feel free to stop by and say hi. I'm always willing to chat.

Three members in the same complex.

"Hi. My 2005 STI has the extended arm rest. It gets in the way of my elbow when I shift, so I'd like to order the original console cover. Thanks."

24676143015_331dacd36d_b.jpg

Holy crap. The screws come in individual baggies! In Hyundai's world, you're lucky if you can get a latch separately. Guess in Subaru World, you have to be able to get every individual piece of your arm rest! LOL.

Well good to hear you are getting back in the dirt Sir! Looks like a solid machine to start from, and as you said you are very very familiar with this platform. Will definitely be paying attention as this continues!

I've driven it a bit and other than a squeak in the front right suspension, it's pretty solid. Z.B. gets his hands on it tomorrow so I'll find out where I'm really starting from soon.

Very cool. Some day I want to try my hand at a car that I don't care how it looks - one that I can beat the crap out of with no worries. Some day...

1. Simple.

2. Cheap.

Hit both those marks for a great way to start in RallyX. I'll tell you, I think a foxbody mustang GT would make a great starter RallyX car. They're simple and parts are stupidly cheap. They're also a smaller car with a short wheelbase so you can actually get them to hustle around cones without too much trouble. And there's a massive aftermarket for any improvements you may want to make, and shops galore that can do whatever your imagination comes up with.

While I'm not a fan of the owner of this car, here's a foxbody set up for stage rally:

So one of these cars can go from budget to bonkers.

This is from a driving-in-dirt perspective. I know Mustangs are old hat around here..

I've driven it a bit and other than a squeak in the front right suspension, it's pretty solid. Z.B. gets his hands on it tomorrow so I'll find out where I'm really starting from soon.

1. Simple.

2. Cheap.

Hit both those marks for a great way to start in RallyX. I'll tell you, I think a foxbody mustang GT would make a great starter RallyX car. They're simple and parts are stupidly cheap. They're also a smaller car with a short wheelbase so you can actually get them to hustle around cones without too much trouble. And there's a massive aftermarket for any improvements you may want to make, and shops galore that can do whatever your imagination comes up with.

While I'm not a fan of the owner of this car, here's a foxbody set up for stage rally:

So one of these cars can go from budget to bonkers.

This is from a driving-in-dirt perspective. I know Mustangs are old hat around here..

I need that in my life!

Got the car back from ZB with a clean bill of health. Compression test came out at 140+ on all cylinders, and everything else that I'm not replacing is in good condition. The timing belt and water pump was replaced WAY early too, so I don't have to deal with that for another 100K miles.

However, when I went to fill it up on the way home I discovered that at least one of the previous owners liked to top-off the tank. Sigh.... The vent system is clogged so it doesn't like taking gas unless I twist the gas handle upwards. No way to be sure I'm filling the tank so I can't monitor the mileage either.

Pro tip: When the pump shuts off, STOP FILLING THE TANK!

Shifting was painfully difficult before. But with a fresh fill of Motul 300, it's already much better. Some more miles and hopefully the shifting will be back to normal.

So, Stage 1 complete! Now for Stage 2, engine/durability improvements.

In the plan:

Radiator

Intercooler

Intake

Axle-back

Skid plates

Driveline bushings

It's finally time for the fun stuff!