Toyota giving Scion the axe?

verse

Agreed. I don't see anything other than the tC (and FR-S...) that sells to kids or young adults. Are the hipster microcars supposed to be it? Their market segment is people who forgo buying cars in favor of renting SmartCars around town? People who Uber everywhere? That's dumb as fuck. The young buyers market absolutely wants fun, cheap, practical, reliable cars.

Confused why they're not keeping the tC around. Either I'm blind, or the eye test says that's their best selling model.

Gun, meet foot.

compared to the corolla the TC isn't even an also ran.

Toyota built and sold 431,779 corollas in north america (at the indiana and mississippi plants) in 2014.

compare this to 24,496 Scion TC's built in 2012 (sorry couldn't find 2014 prod numbers).

I have a feeling the TC buyers will just go buy cars like the Kia Forte Koup, so it isn't like there isn't a place in the market for the people who want sporty cheap cars to go. Honestly I wish they would keep the TC, bring back the old supercharger kit they used to have and make that standard equipment and call it the Corolla GT-S. That would be awesome but highly unlikely.

I think Scion should've done a Jeep Wrangler competitor. Subaru awd drivetrain, removable hardtop, no frills, 19k price. I think it would've sold like hot cakes.

I agree, something like the old suzuki samauri or the new jeep renegade would have been cool. Scion started strong with the xB, and they pulled off the unthinkable by introducing the TC as a direct competitor to the honda civic coupe and were successful in surviving and thriving in the marketplace (esp considering honda left their market behind by inflating the civic's pricing).

they started out with cool products, ended with beige creep into their product line, and taught toyota that their organization might be too big to be truly daring. It's a shame they didn't go the other direction and go even crazier or rebrand themselves as toyota's performance arm (I'm sorry but every time I see TRD on the side of a pickup all I can think of is "turd") and start pushing turbo FRS's take over the celica and offer a "rally" AWD version of the xB.

oh well, goodbye Scion, you will be missed but not by many.