RIP Dave Mirra

SpaceGhost

http://nbc4i.com/2016/02/04/bmx-legend-dave-mirra-dead-at-41/

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – BMX legendary athlete Dave Mirra died Thursday afternoon in Greenville.

At approximately 4:00 p.m., Greenville Police responded to the 200 block of Pinewood Road for an apparent suicide.

Upon arrival, officers discovered 41-year-old Mirra, of Greenville, sitting in a truck with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He had been visiting friends in the area a short time before the incident.

The Greenville Police Department will be handling the death investigation. The record-holding athlete is survived by his wife and two children.

My immediate thought. Guy probably had 10x as many injuries as most NFLers.

And I'm sure the technology In a football helmet far exceeds what they have in bike helmets... Even back when he was a kid.... Concrete and plywood hasn't changed over the years unlike football hits have

Really bummed to hear this.....He had most recently taken a big interest in Triathlon and Ironman, and was starting to make a name for himself in that sport. What confuses me most is his post 2 days ago on his Instagram page......something just doesn't add up here....

I used to be a little inspired by the hashtag he made up #beadadnotafad......now, I'm beginning to doubt the authenticity of that.......really upsets me as a dad.....

This is his caption from the pic:

davemirra: Tough 104 mile race but as you can see Madikenz @laurnicomirr were waiting for daddy and got me whatever I needed to recover. 3hours52mins. #beadadnotafad 1st place doesn't mean shit without family 1st #legendsoftheroad

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBVLSgPvY1-/?taken-by=davemirra

As a parent, this shit really unsettles me, and begs the questions why???! No child should bury their parent....especially at such a young age.....

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/7/121147-largest_DaveMirraDay19.jpg

57a3625e39338078bc251079f596fbae.jpg

615f0f8187540cc88766b4ec6e819a04.jpg

??????????????????????????

b8326a6feb726ba4ffd30fad36a7094d.jpg

Since you guys are talking about it: It is crazy what we now know and are figuring out about head injuries. I don't know what our grandfathers did, but it does seem like the generations from the 70s on are figuring out better ways for a thrill, thumping their skulls in the process. Sad to think that a few clocks to the brain - even wearing a helmet - may diminish our lives and brain activity so much.

THAT BEING SAID - I'm wondering about other factors on his life. He had a wife and two kids? Was it really that rough of an existence at 41? I've just heard about a few notable suicides recently and I wonder what is making people feel like that's the only way out???? It's a terrible thing to think about, IMO...

EDIT: Kale, you captured my second paragraph very well...

Really bummed to hear this.....He had most recently taken a big interest in Triathlon and Ironman, and was starting to make a name for himself in that sport. What confuses me most is his post 2 days ago on his Instagram page......something just doesn't add up here....

I used to be a little inspired by the hashtag he made up #beadadnotafad......now, I'm beginning to doubt the authenticity of that.......really upsets me as a dad.....

This is his caption from the pic:

davemirra: Tough 104 mile race but as you can see Madikenz @laurnicomirr were waiting for daddy and got me whatever I needed to recover. 3hours52mins. #beadadnotafad 1st place doesn't mean shit without family 1st #legendsoftheroad

As a parent, this shit really unsettles me, and begs the questions why???! No child should bury their parent....especially at such a young age.....

For emphasis, this is what I can't figure out after hearing some more details about his death. However, I have learned something important in the last few years: The more self-affirming someone appears on social media, the more they battle with it IRL. Except for you, Kale. ;) You're a solid bloke who's keeping people up to speed on your training. I need to post more stuff on FB just so my parents and relatives know I'm alive. :lol:

For emphasis, this is what I can't figure out after hearing some more details about his death. However, I have learned something important in the last few years: The more self-affirming someone appears on social media, the more they battle with it IRL. Except for you, Kale. ;) You're a solid bloke who's keeping people up to speed on your training. I need to post more stuff on FB just so my parents and relatives know I'm alive. :lol:

Funny, Clay -_-

But seriously, I could not fathom for ONE SECOND that anything could be that bad that would want to show your children that this is the answer to life's problems.......The statistics for children who grow up in a home with no father are really gut wrenching.....I would die for my children, but I wouldn't kill myself....there is a big difference here......I am just really struggling with this whole situation, and the sad fact is that we will probably never know the whole story, unless there is some type of note or explanation that was left behind...even then it's all just really disturbing and 'hitting home' with me today.....sorry for the rants.....

Funny, Clay -_-

But seriously, I could not fathom for ONE SECOND that anything could be that bad that would want to show your children that this is the answer to life's problems.......The statistics for children who grow up in a home with no father are really gut wrenching.....I would die for my children, but I wouldn't kill myself....there is a big difference here......I am just really struggling with this whole situation, and the sad fact is that we will probably never know the whole story, unless there is some type of note or explanation that was left behind...even then it's all just really disturbing and 'hitting home' with me today.....sorry for the rants.....

That's why there's so many millions in research being done into the causes of CTE. If you read into the tragic story of Junior Seau's suicide I think it may have some parallels. Seau had a number of issues in his life but he left behind his kids. He was lucid enough in his lowest moment to shoot himself in the chest so that doctors could study his brain. he was lucid enough to know something was horribly wrong with him and yet he still pulled the trigger. Ultimately suicide is an incredibly selfish act but we never can know the demons the victims are dealing with, and it's not our place to judge their pain. Not that I'm accusing you of doing that, but the difficulty of understanding why they do that is, to me, the most anguishing thing about it. I don't for a moment believe that these guys like Mirra and Seau are ignoring that horrible reality that they'll leave behind, but whatever horror is floating around in their head clearly outweighs it to them.

Since you guys are talking about it: It is crazy what we now know and are figuring out about head injuries. I don't know what our grandfathers did...

They fought world wars and then came home to drink heavily, smoke, and in some cases do drugs, most of which was all still socially acceptable at the time. What is more amazing concerning head trauma is how far treatment of the illnesses caused by head trauma has progressed.

This news is very sad for many reasons. one of which was that help was available for whatever drove him to this, and for whatever reason he didn't get it.

That's why there's so many millions in research being done into the causes of CTE. If you read into the tragic story of Junior Seau's suicide I think it may have some parallels. Seau had a number of issues in his life but he left behind his kids. He was lucid enough in his lowest moment to shoot himself in the chest so that doctors could study his brain. he was lucid enough to know something was horribly wrong with him and yet he still pulled the trigger. Ultimately suicide is an incredibly selfish act but we never can know the demons the victims are dealing with, and it's not our place to judge their pain. Not that I'm accusing you of doing that, but the difficulty of understanding why they do that is, to me, the most anguishing thing about it. I don't for a moment believe that these guys like Mirra and Seau are ignoring that horrible reality that they'll leave behind, but whatever horror is floating around in their head clearly outweighs it to them.

I used to believe the same, but now i'm rethinking that stance. When it comes down to actually performing the deed and making it permanent, those who go through with it truly believe the world will be a better place without them in it. They feel they are holding other people back from reaching some potential or causing grief that would not be present with them gone. Sure, the trauma short term is rough, but they feel in the long term, it's better that they can no longer interfere or be a burden.

• 3 months later...

Bump looks like he did have CTE (which is no surprise at all). The human brain was just not engineered to handle what many of these athletes do to it in their respective sports.

http://espn.go.com/action/story/_/id/15613973

Much more will come out now with action sports athletes, snow and skate boarders, ect ect.

Bump looks like he did have CTE (which is no surprise at all). The human brain was just not engineered to handle what many of these athletes do to it in their respective sports.

http://espn.go.com/action/story/_/id/15613973

Much more will come out now with action sports athletes, snow and skate boarders, ect ect.

Watch the 30 for 30 about Matt Hoffman, you can tell he his punch drunk and not all there.