Model car kits

Avenger1647545502

Second times the charm, maybe....

i have several plastic kits for sale, $10 each, first come first serve. They have been opened, but not built or painted. Decals may not be good, kits are many years old after all. PM for phone number.http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/smdalton/Mobile%20Uploads/1455407148.jpg

AMT 1968 Shelby GT-500

AMT 1965 Chevelle Station Wagon

AMT 1958 Edsel Pacer

Revell 1981 Chevy Citation (lowrider, stock, or tuner versions)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/smdalton/Mobile%20Uploads/1455407138.jpg

Revell Promodeler 1969 Dodge Charger R/T

Lindberg Richard Petty's 1964 Plymouth Belvedere

AMT 1971 Dodge Charger

AMT Dodge Demon 340

Edited by Avenger

I wish I knew someone who would paint them for me and I would put them together. :(

Painting model cars isn't bad. Prep the bodies well and put a coat of primer on. Lightly wet sand the body and spray a couple very light coats of paint. When the coverage looks good, wet sand again and spray clear. Polish and enjoy. There are several shops locally that sell paint and it can be thinned out to go farther. To start with buy a kit with the compressed air, nozzle and paint bottle. You can get them at Michaels or Amazon. Practice on something before you try it on the model. If you completely screw the pooch, get a gallon of Purple Power from Walmart. You can soak the model and it will strip the paint without hurting the plastic. Just wear gloves. Later on there are small compressors you can buy but the canned air works ok too. Good luck

Painting model cars isn't bad. Prep the bodies well and put a coat of primer on. Lightly wet sand the body and spray a couple very light coats of paint. When the coverage looks good, wet sand again and spray clear. Polish and enjoy. There are several shops locally that sell paint and it can be thinned out to go farther. To start with buy a kit with the compressed air, nozzle and paint bottle. You can get them at Michaels or Amazon. Practice on something before you try it on the model. If you completely screw the pooch, get a gallon of Purple Power from Walmart. You can soak the model and it will strip the paint without hurting the plastic. Just wear gloves. Later on there are small compressors you can buy but the canned air works ok too. Good luck

I think having a sprayer would go a long way to making things easier. In the past, I've done it by hand with shitty, cheap brushes. I find I have all the patience in the world making every little piece fit just right and being sure you can't spot any flash, etc. But painting... ugh.

I did do a MKIII Supra not too long ago and painted everything. I had a spray can for the body, charcoal gray of course :), and at least that made painting the body far easier. Though I could've done a far better job. I didn't even think of all the regular prep stuff you'd do to a real car like you mentioned above. :doh:

I didn't even think of all the regular prep stuff you'd do to a real car like you mentioned above. :doh:

I used to buy expensive sanding sticks and now I use nail files from Walmart for flash and seams. Then wet sand the body with 600 and 1,000 grit. Wrap it around a pencil for curved areas. I use cheap duplicolor primer. I'll sit in front of the couch and do it at night so it's not so boring. Once its cleared, you can use auto wax including polishing compounds if you go slow and it looks good. With kids I don't build much anymore but I used to do ok. Now it's harder to see the small parts and I have to use tweezers as I can't feel stuff as well to fit parts. EBay can be a good place for partial kits to fool with or rebuild. I have even heard of people thinning out nail polish for some really cool metallic colors.

OP, if these are complete kits, those are good prices. I just have too many kits already. Good luck

I think having a sprayer would go a long way to making things easier. In the past, I've done it by hand with shitty, cheap brushes. I find I have all the patience in the world making every little piece fit just right and being sure you can't spot any flash, etc. But painting... ugh.

I did do a MKIII Supra not too long ago and painted everything. I had a spray can for the body, charcoal gray of course :), and at least that made painting the body far easier. Though I could've done a far better job. I didn't even think of all the regular prep stuff you'd do to a real car like you mentioned above. :doh:

I have dual airbrush setups if you want to give it a go. I even have a mini flake buster if you want to do metal flake. The only thing I don't have is a warm place to spray as my garage is unheated.

you can get good results with a rattle can though. I did this a while back with a testors green over bare black plastic (1993 kit).

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Geeto67/Models/F9730489-A47E-4EEE-96B0-DA0B8162B141_zpsyvrh7kl1.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Geeto67/Models/1C1F450B-84AD-477D-8977-27B9F920E910_zpsxgwm6fe8.jpg

Sure it has junk in the paint, but I didn't wetsand before or after. With new kits, esp the molded in white ones, you have to do a little sanding because some of the new mold release agents will lift paint.

But back to the OP, all these kits for sale are excellent and if I didn't have the 1971 charger or duster in my queue already they are good kits....

Everybody always forgets the most important step in painting model cars: you HAVE to completely wash off the molding release agents. I've always used Dawn without Aloe. Clean it dry it clean it again.

Another great tip. Thanks.

Someone should start a model car thread for crap like this and related craps. I'd like to see what all everyone has out there.

I've started to get into Hot Wheels/Matchbox modding. My current project is my biggest. Added body mods, painting, body swap, wheel swap, etc. No time to finish it up before the move or I'd snap some photos.