Sig Sauer

gillbot

After I got heavily laughed at for buying a couple hi-point pistols, I decided to step up my game and picked up a couple sig Sauer pistols to have something reliable and less "lol worthy".

Grabbed a p938 in 9mm and a p224 in 40sw. Took ALL THE GUNS out to the holler for some shooting on a Saturday then again at the range on a Sunday.

Results:

P938 needed some rounds through it. On Saturday it jammed often, but once it ate a bit of brass, it started to run well. So far, aside from losing a grip screw, can't complain. Sunday it ran fine all day, no issues aside from another disappearing grip screw, no complaints. I will say that my call to sig Sauers customer service on Monday was excellent. They are sending a set of grip screws no charge and advised to blue Loctite them in.

P224 ate nearly a box of ammo Saturday without a hitch, then the shitstorm hit. Jammed every round after that no matter what. Decided to stop shooting it and put it away before it ended up tossed in the trash. Took it apart Saturday and cleaned it up well, lathered it in oil and let it sit. Sunday, I only had 10 rounds left and it ran those fine. I need to get out and let it eat another box or three and make sure it's going to run well and not jam anymore. Mentioned this to sig's service rep and he advised that some p224's had some feed issues so if it didn't run well on the next shooting trip he'd issue me a label and get it fixed up.

Hi-point 380 is a pile. Saturday, I only ran two mags through it. Jammed nearly every shot with getting 2 rounds in the slide. I'm guessing it's a mag issue but I didn't feel like reloading the mags after fighting with it. Left it in the case on Sunday.

Hi-point c9 #1; Saturday I ran over two boxes through it, not one jam or anything. Put another box through it on Sunday, not one hiccup. Has an uncle mikes grip which I'd never heard of but was on it when I got it. Pretty comfy in my hand with the grip so it's fun as heck to shoot.

Hi-point c9 #2; Saturday I ran over a box through it, not one jam or anything. Only shot 20 or 30 rounds rough it Sunday, not a single hiccup or anything.

Hi-point 40sw is my 2nd pile. Jammed nearly every shot. Put two mags through it Saturday with it jamming like Bob Marley so it went to the case. Didn't bother with it Sunday.

Hi-point 45; Saturday I ran over a box through it, not one jam or anything. Put another box through it on Sunday, not one hiccup.

Mosin-Nagant rifle; only put 15 or so rounds through it. What's there to tell? It goes bang and when we were done we used it to row our boat out of the holler.

Now, why do I say this? I have to say that the sig's are NICE but nothing beats the cheapass fun of the mosin, hi-point 9 and 45. Sure the 380 and 40sw caused grief, but I hadn't cleaned or shot them in forever so they may just need some exercise. He cheapest guns yielded the most fun all day. Anyway, let the lols and flaming begin.

Edited by gillbot

Waaaaaay too many malfunctions in that little amount of ammo that was fired. Are you shooting reloads? Congrats on the new pick ups of guns, but I would be heated with all those issues.

I bought a $1XXX.xx gun years ago. I was pretty excited to have it. Damn thing malfunctioned every shot. I had higher expectations for reliability. I ended up sending it back to the manufacturer. They sent it back to me and it worked fine. I called and asked what the issue was, as the work order didn't give details, just codes. They said it worked fine for them, and that they did nothing. That's bullshit. They found an issue and fixed it. Gun has never malfunctioned since. Just FYI, if you can't even get 500 rounds through the gun to break it in, there may be other issues.

Edited by Mojoe

Sig used to have a fantastic reputation, then some musings about their QC hit the internetz and they appeared to have gone downhill, but the internet will do that.

I've never ran a Sig, but I did shoot asig-distributed mauser-branded M2 and it ran perfectly for the very short time I used it. Maybe a case-ish of factory ammo without a malfunction.

What ammo were you using?

Waaaaaay too many malfunctions in that little amount of ammo that was fired. Are you shooting reloads? Congrats on the new pick ups of guns, but I would be heated with all those issues.

I bought a $1XXX.xx gun years ago. I was pretty excited to have it. Damn thing malfunctioned every shot. I had higher expectations for reliability. I ended up sending it back to the manufacturer. They sent it back to me and it worked fine. I called and asked what this issues was, as the work order didn't give details, just codes. They said it worked fine for them, and that they did nothing. That's bullshit. They found an issue and fixed it. Gun has never malfunctioned since. Just FYI, if you can't even get 500 rounds through the gun to break it in, there may be other issues.

The sig rep shares your sentiment. He advised that repeated malfunctions without even being able to string together a few shots is a sign of a problem. He advised me to try one more time since I cleaned it, but he would have been more than happy to issue a return now if I wanted. I told him I'd give it another good run first since it took 10 rounds on on Sunday. I just wish I had more with me at the time but I misplaced an entire box of 40 somewhere and had to borrow the 10 I shot Sunday.

Congrats on the new bang makers. What Ammo are you shooting? I am with Joe, way to many malfunctions.

Sig used to have a fantastic reputation, then some musings about their QC hit the internetz and they appeared to have gone downhill, but the internet will do that.

I've never ran a Sig, but I did shoot asig-distributed mauser-branded M2 and it ran perfectly for the very short time I used it. Maybe a case-ish of factory ammo without a malfunction.

What ammo were you using?

That was my main reason for this thread. Some to poke fun at the hi-point haters but more to get an idea on the general consensus about the sigs.

I ran several brands of ammo, from federal, Hornady and a couple others but I don't recall them all. I also used a few reloads as well and ironically, I believe they ran the best, but those were run first. There were a few people offering assistance and many were genuinely surprised at how bad the sigs performed overall. Then again, they were also quite astounded at how well the hi-points did. For what I paid, I honestly expected better from it, and maybe that was my problem. My bar was set so low by the hi-point haters that anything should have been better. I'm just really glad that I talked myself out of the kimber knowing my luck and seeing how these did. I'd have ended up with the worst running kimber in history.

I think my next buy will be a revolver. They just go bang like my hi-points. :gabe: :lolguy:

You get what you pay for in guns. Call Hipoint and see how their customer service is. I would guest it's not at the level you received from Sig. Great to hear they were willing to take the gun back with no issue. Get 500 rounds through those Sigs and let us know any updates.

Ruger and Kel Tek have exceeded my expectations everytime.

You get what you pay for in guns. Call Hipoint and see how their customer service is. I would guest it's not at the level you received from Sig. Great to hear they were willing to take the gun back with no issue. Get 500 rounds through those Sigs and let us know any updates.

Ruger and Kel Tek have exceeded my expectations everytime.

Actually HP has pretty good customer service. It's weird, I know. I still have had too many pistols malfunction on me to warrant buying one for anything more than $50.

SigLOL.

Kidding. Something seems amiss. Are you limp wristing it maybe? Serious question. It's par for the course that ~50% of HP's run like crap. That I call "normal". It's definitely ABnormal for Sig's to run like crap IMO. One of the better manufacturer's and on my short list when recommending semi-auto pistols.

The guy who used to put out junk for Kimber (read: bigger junk) left and went to Sig years ago. They've gone downhill ever since. Like Kimber, they've focused more on aesthetics rather than functionality. They look cool sitting in the gun case with 20 different color variations, but they don't work worth a shit.

I love Sigs and have not had an issue with my P938 post break-in. My FN FNX9 was perfect going back into battery, but the mags starting sticking. My Kimber Ultra was a piece of shit if not shooting ball ammo. I kept the polymers and the issues seem to be corrected.

I have never had an issue with a stock Glock. My Gen 2 G17 had countless rounds down the pipe before I sold it and it never failed, not once. My Gen 4 G17 has been perfect so far as well, though I've read about some folks having issues with the Gen 4s.

IMHO, a G17/19 should be every gun enthusiasts first handgun purchase.

Do you mean Ruger LCR or a Taurus snub nose? Have you shot a snub nose? IMO, light 357's are not much fun. Shooting full power loads in a really light revolver can be painful and accuracy is challenging. If you want a snub nose stick with the 38spec and use good defense loads for carrying. If you want a 357, I recommend Ruger or Smith in a 4 inch or longer barrel. You will still be able to shoot 38 spec for plinking or to save money. The heavier gun will soak up the recoil and it's hard to beat a Smith trigger, especially on older guns. Good luck.

Do you mean Ruger LCR or a Taurus snub nose? Have you shot a snub nose? IMO, light 357's are not much fun. Shooting full power loads in a really light revolver can be painful and accuracy is challenging. If you want a snub nose stick with the 38spec and use good defense loads for carrying. If you want a 357, I recommend Ruger or Smith in a 4 inch or longer barrel. You will still be able to shoot 38 spec for plinking or to save money. The heavier gun will soak up the recoil and it's hard to beat a Smith trigger, especially on older guns. Good luck.

Ruger lcr 357, it can shoot 38 spec as well. I was only half paying attention when I typed that, while pretending to work. Lol.

Buy my sig p238 off me. You need another one in your collection :p

I'm poor. I'd love to own ALL THE SIGS!

Overpriced by about $100, lol.

Thats a lot of malfunctions, went shooting yesterday. Shit my XD 9mm, my S&W 22, and all my Dad's gunsand the only malfunctions all day was his new Ruger. Once I reallized the trigger had 2 clicks to it, I had no more issues.

No, I'm not limp wristing. Gun went through 6!or more shooters, all had the same result.

Get manlier friends.

IMHO, a G17/19 should be every gun enthusiasts first handgun purchase.

Agree to disagree.

Not bad advice, but if he DOES go with a 357 he could always run the .38spl rounds through it as well.

If those were real Benjamin's it wouldn't be worth $199.xx

See my comment above. ;-)

Been reading this too http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123004

Whoops. Missed that part. My bad. :)

I've said it before and I'll say it time and again: I personally don't like Glock's but I won't deny their reliability. I, for one, am a HUGE FN fan. Hands down my favorite. Just me though.

Are the malfunctions related to extractions? I.e case isn't picked up by extractor or not thrown with enough force to clear chamber and "stovepipes".

SIGs are usually pretty reliable pistols so I do wonder if it is the ammo. Other thought would be a bad magazine.