Big Turbos, Small Engines

wagner

I love how I am always hearing people say they don't want a 4 banger because it is slow... Personally, I am not a fan of rotaries, but I can certainly respect what is going on here.

I used to hate imports, a lot.

Then I got to see some very quick ones that were not total shitboxes and life changed forever.

There are now guys running some 4gs in fox bodies in the radial tire classes and they are getting quick as hell.

In the end anything can be quick and fast if you have enough cash and a high enough line of credit.

There are now guys running some 4gs in fox bodies in the radial tire classes and they are getting quick as hell.

The 4G fox seems to have gotten somewhat "popular" in the last few years. Saw a few the last time I was at the DSM Shootout.

I used to hate imports, a lot.

Then I got to see some very quick ones that were not total shitboxes and life changed forever.

In the end anything can be quick and fast if you have enough cash and a high enough line of credit.

It's funny looking at the RX7 group on fb, people are always saying a rotary can make big hp numbers compared to v8's and thats part of the reason they are special. I had to point out that people have put down over 1k hp with 4 bangers. People tend to underestimate 4 cylinders, thats why I am swapping a 4g into my RX7. :)

I think can and should are two different things. Yeah, people put down over 1000whp on a 4 banger. But how long do you think a 1000whp 4cyl is going to last compared to a 1000whp V8? 250whp per hole vs 125whp/hole. Far less stress on a V8. It's cool to see how far you can push a 4cyl on a drag application...but you are going to see far more 1000whp V8's being driven on nice weekend days our cruising and looking for races than you will 1000whp 4 cylinders. It all comes down to what you want. I love 4G's and hope to always have one in my possession, but I am realistic in that I will never see anywhere near 1000hp in one. I have enough issues in the 600hp area...I don't need the headaches that come with trying to have a 1000hp 4cyl weekend warrior. I'll save that for when I get into the V8 game.

I think can and should are two different things. Yeah, people put down over 1000whp on a 4 banger. But how long do you think a 1000whp 4cyl is going to last compared to a 1000whp V8? 250whp per hole vs 125whp/hole. Far less stress on a V8. It's cool to see how far you can push a 4cyl on a drag application...but you are going to see far more 1000whp V8's being driven on nice weekend days our cruising and looking for races than you will 1000whp 4 cylinders. It all comes down to what you want. I love 4G's and hope to always have one in my possession, but I am realistic in that I will never see anywhere near 1000hp in one. I have enough issues in the 600hp area...I don't need the headaches that come with trying to have a 1000hp 4cyl weekend warrior. I'll save that for when I get into the V8 game.

Totally agree, I just pointed out to him that it has been done. I would imagine a 13b or a 20b would likely be just as reliable as a 4 cylinder at that level though. I plan to be right in the 500 range with mine, I hope at that power level it would be a decent car to drive on a nice day now and then.