iRacing

El Karacho1647545492

Any of you fuckers into it? I have a Logitech G29 and I've been playing the fuck out of Project Cars (Formula Gulf and GT3/4 cars all day) but my coworkers have gotten into iRacing and the peer pressure is nonstop. I'm not into subscription games AT ALL but I do love sim racing with this wheel. I've got the rig to support it (FX 8350, 16GB RAM, GTX 970, 128GB dedicated gaming SSD) but I'm unlikely to get into serious racing leagues; I'll probably just race casually with friends or occasionally by myself in a random room. I'm not a big fan of having to buy tracks and cars in an already-subscription game either, but whatever.

Honestly one of the things that piqued my interest was watching my coworker go head-to-head fighting for position with Rubens Barrichello. Apparently lots of pros use iRacing and that's a pretty damn cool selling point.

I'm also wondering if this will give me a better appreciation for oval racing, since i know from a driver's perspective it's a million times more exciting than spectators.

EDIT: Also I'm getting a 65" 4K TV soon and I want to play on that.

Yeah my boss said something about them adding dirt tracks which seems cool.

I'm more interested in driving Lime Rock and Mid-Ohio since I've done those IRL and want to see how they compare, and they're not really available in any other games.

It's the best sim I've ever used....ever...ever ever.

You might be surprised...the way the driver rankings work you can't race like it's a video game without having a horrible driver rating and never being able to work your way up from anything but Miata's (sorry Chandler :D )

As you progress as a driver and driver ranking you'll be grouped in races with people of similar rank...meaning you'll be against people generally around your same speed and it eliminates the asshats that think it's a demolition derby. Shit still happens...but there are consequences.

The vehicle dynamics, the tracks, etc really are the best in my opinion. Your setup will be fine..you don't need the most expensive stuff to have fun.

It WILL cost you a good deal of money in the end....it just will. YOu'll start racing on the supplied tracks and then a couple that you buy...but as soon as you want to race in a series for it's full duration you'll need to buy all the tracks in there if you want to compete for a championship.

My personal favorite car was the Mustang's (who would have know) until the Porsche's came along. I haven't done anything on iRacing for the last 12 months or so...just writing this makes me want to go buy the additional RAM I need for my outdated machine and pick it back up again.

It's the best sim I've ever used....ever...ever ever.

You might be surprised...the way the driver rankings work you can't race like it's a video game without having a horrible driver rating and never being able to work your way up from anything but Miata's (sorry Chandler :D )

As you progress as a driver and driver ranking you'll be grouped in races with people of similar rank...meaning you'll be against people generally around your same speed and it eliminates the asshats that think it's a demolition derby. Shit still happens...but there are consequences.

The vehicle dynamics, the tracks, etc really are the best in my opinion. Your setup will be fine..you don't need the most expensive stuff to have fun.

It WILL cost you a good deal of money in the end....it just will. YOu'll start racing on the supplied tracks and then a couple that you buy...but as soon as you want to race in a series for it's full duration you'll need to buy all the tracks in there if you want to compete for a championship.

My personal favorite car was the Mustang's (who would have know) until the Porsche's came along. I haven't done anything on iRacing for the last 12 months or so...just writing this makes me want to go buy the additional RAM I need for my outdated machine and pick it back up again.

Thanks for writing all that, and yeah I'm really interested in the track/car dynamics like you said. I got my first real taste of it in Project Cars driving formula cars on the Nurburgring and having them get tossed around due to the roughness of the track was surprising and pleasing. I like games at opposite ends of the spectrum; I either want a totally immersive sim experience like iRacing, or I want it full on cartoon-level arcade game like NFS: Underground 2. The stuff in the middle like Forza bores me pretty quickly.

Friend of mine through CC&C has a seat and multiscreen setup for iRacing. I drove it over the winter and it is really addictive. Really well done...if I was into racing but lived in a major city or racing was beyond my means, I'd definitely get into it.

Glad to hear that g29 is getting its use =).

I do not have Iracing but who knows one of these days maby.

Big time! I gave the brake spring to my boss who has a G27 and he's smitten, he's the one who has a full on mega rig. 2 GTX 970s, 3 27" 2k monitors, Obutto chair, etc. he's balls-to-the-wall with iRacing.

Big time! I gave the brake spring to my boss who has a G27 and he's smitten, he's the one who has a full on mega rig. 2 GTX 970s, 3 27" 2k monitors, Obutto chair, etc. he's balls-to-the-wall with iRacing.

I got really into it one winter. Won a points championship in the Mustang's. realized how time consuming it was and that's about the time I really put it down. It's a great training tool though and I should really pick it back up.

Participating in more casual leagues is a much better way to have fun with it and random pick-up races here or there are also a good time.

One of our Rennlist leagues was sponsored by CXC simulators and they brought in Patrick Long to participate in the league every week and would give away autographed gear if you could out qualify him. I edged him out for the pole at Laguna one week and got a really nice pair of autographed Puma driving gloves I still have to this day.