Terrible Crash At PDRA Race

wagner

Please keep Ian and Ronnie in your thoughts, this was one of the worst wrecks I've ever seen. I'm not going to post the video because it is just to terrible to see again.

Ronnie died twice technically and is clinging to life, Ian is in really bad shape and is touch and go last I heard.

Just a few weeks ago I was hanging out with Ian at the track, it really hits home and reminds me that you have to stay frosty and know your surroundings.

For Ronnie, racing is dangerous and you should always do everything possible to stay safe.

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/drag-racing-accident-pdra-rockingham-event-injures-two

Little more info

http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/ronnie-the-king-davis-passes-following-horrific-rockingham-crash-journalist-ian-tocher-injured-in-wreck/

For those who do, please pray for Ian and Ronnie's family.

Ian is in pretty bad shape from what I've heard and not out of the woods yet. I have got to work with him several times and he is a great guy. He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lots of guys shoot from that area at 1/8th mile races because it is "safe" for that type of shooting, but this time it was not. I really don't like to go out past 200 feet to shoot just because things can happen so quick.

This was one of the worst wrecks I've ever seen, just everything bad that could happen did. From what I've heard, this was one of those wrecks that the chances of living, no matter the gear was slim at best.

What I've read so far is that Ian is stable but sedated, with severe injuries.

From what I was told it will be a miracle if he keeps his legs.

A fellow racer posted on YellowBullet that was on the line for his pass said the wind was just insane, and a big gust on the pass might have played a big role.

It looks like that car was about 20-30 feet in the air at one point, and the way it clipped the wall just smashed it down on the roof with terrible force.

I would hate to see what the g-meter in the car read on impact, I bet it was Eric Medlan or higher levels :(

Hats off to the track staff and the PDRA, they kept them both alive and table enough to be transported.

Ronnie's heart stopped twice before the chopper got there and Ian had lost a lot of blood.

Guys and gals, I can't strees enough no matter what kind of racing you are doing, make sure YOU are doing everything possible to be safe, and the track you are at is safe.

If they don't have medial people there, don't even make a hit. This type of wreck could even happen with a street car, it does not take much at high speeds to send a car into the air.

I hate to say it, but the days of having photographers and media right beside the track NEED to be over.

That will never happen, ever.

There will, and should be limits on how far you can go out like the NHRA has, but there is no need to stop having people trackside.

This is the first serious issue with a media person, in the United States that I can think of in the past 5 years, if not longer.

The only other time I can think of there being an issue was down in PR where they had a video guy get killed, but he was in a very bad spot.

I expect there to be limits put on by the tracks and even the media overlords.