A/C works, but belt/metal noise?

zeitgeist57

My '95 BMW is running like a champ. Today when I drove to Marion, Findlay and back, I was using A/C, and the car was very comfortable. However, once I got off the highway, I heard what sounded like hissing under the hood, and it was RPM-specific. I could feel the compressor engaging and disconnecting, but when I turned down the stereo, I realized it was an occasional squealing/slipping noise.

Admittedly, I haven't had a chance yet to look at whats going on underhood, but would this jibe with just the A/C clutch going out? (A/C still engages and blows cold, but compressor occasionally makes noise).

Of course, I'm hoping it's just the A/C clutch, and not the compressor. :eek:

How do I diagnose the system?

Gentlemen, you're all spot on. I was replicating the issue and found it to be LOUD...but intermittent.

Turns out the Idler pulley is super chunky and the belt is worn. There's a seperate ribbed belt for the A/C pulley (which I didn't replace last year) so I'll make sure to replace those two items.

Thank you! :thumbup::thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

After tightening the A/C pulley and belt, I still had a little bit of A/C clutch slippage at higher RPM's than at idle, so I did a little searching, and found this tutorial:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33308

I couldn't be happier. The clutch on the E36 BMW is super easy to remove from the compressor. I cleaned the mating surfaces, removed a couple of the small spacers, and reinstalled. NOW I can rev it up to 3k+ and it engages the A/C, with a very nice blast of cold air. :thumbup::thumbup: I do love how easy this era of BMW 3-series has been to work on (in general ;))