Electrician referral - adding 240v to garage

everlight44

I did find the box for switching off our condo... and all the other condos for that matter. Plastic boxes with 100a switches next to the meters.

I might still have an electrician do it just to make sure it is done to code.

I did find the box for switching off our condo... and all the other condos for that matter. Plastic boxes with 100a switches next to the meters.

I might still have an electrician do it just to make sure it is done to code.

Depending where your located, Countryside Electric, K&L Electric north of Columbus, Weekley Electric (east of Columbus but has a large coverage area), Power Lines Electric (Out of Lancaster) and I can give more if you would like.

Wow, I must of been doing it wrong all along. When you snap in a new breaker, it's not live until you throw the switch. I've never had any problem putting wires to a breaker and not shutting off the main switch. I've done it hundreds of times.

Wow, I must of been doing it wrong all along. When you snap in a new breaker, it's not live until you throw the switch. I've never had any problem putting wires to a breaker and not shutting off the main switch. I've done it hundreds of times.

So have I... literally (over 500 and counting, with two more later this week). It's not a question of can it be done, but rather, is it being done in the safest manner possible. I'm wearing flash gear that's good to 25cal while hot dropping breakers. Your typical residential do-it-yourself jock *might* be wearing doctor's exam gloves, if anything at all.

Not gonna lie.... you really shouldn't have any issues and your right if the breaker is off the screw terminal is not hot and shouldn't be an issue....

But the buss behind it and the breakers above/below it are all still hot. Anything can happen especially if you don't know what your doing or aren't very confident.

In residential panels i don't really ever worry about much happening.... hell have shorted a ground out a time or two even..... years ago. But its not like the panel just explodes and decinigrates everything in front of it.... typically just melts the wire....

The rules on working on electic hot now a days are pretty strict and the equipment you have to wear is alot.... honestly the only time I've really worn the required gear was when i was turning back on a 12,000volt switchgear that had tripped out because of a "squirrel" down the line..... that was a bit scary lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk