Finding an audible vacuum leak?

zeitgeist57

My 1978 Lincoln has had a vacuum leak since I bought it that's gotten progressively worse: I know because the headlight doors used to open after a couple of days...now they will shut with engine vacuum as the engine runs but both slowly open after only an hour or so. Plus, I had my head around the firewall and could hear a whistling.

I know there's some "101-level" tips for finding a vacuum leak...any tips or tools to locate the whistling would be greatly appreciated. It's starting to affect engine idle as well. Thanks!

I've been really busy the last couple of weeks, but I will have time through the weekend to wrench. Great tips so far. I'll try the carb-cleaner idea

Does anyone happen to have a smoke machine as the PM link mentioned?

I've been really busy the last couple of weeks, but I will have time through the weekend to wrench. Great tips so far. I'll try the carb-cleaner idea

Does anyone happen to have a smoke machine as the PM link mentioned?

get a pack of cigarettes and go to town. I have seen rednecks use this method before :D

EDIT: Try a cigar? http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2195192/poor-mans-vacuum-leak-detector

I blasted the fittings and some of the lines with brake cleaner. Blasted the open carb and it idled down for a moment. So...wasn't able to find the vacuum leak underhood.

Pour a bit of motor oil in the intake vacuum lines- seriously - smells horribly and prob not good for the trees but it works

Can you explain this process a little better? What do I do, disconnect lines and pour a bit in with a funnel? Is it supposed to smoke, or seal the leaks?