Fast Response Medical Training Courses?

Radio Flyer1647545514

Yesterday at my shooting match someone got shot, took a ricochet, or took a piece of concrete in the chest or neck area. Details on how this happened are still up in the air and I didn't see it happen. I was at my truck loading mags for the second group shoot when someone yelled out medic.

There were about 70 people or more there and no one panicked, no one was screaming and about 15 different people jumped into action in one way or another. Within 20 seconds of the initial call for a medic nearly 4 people were on their way back to the scene with a med kit and were taking care of the situation before the ambulance came. It was probably the most ideal group to be around when a situation like this happened.

I want to get more knowledge on how to handle a situation like this. Had this happened with just me and a buddy I wouldn't know what to do other than to call for help and remain calm until help arrived. I don't have a real medkit in my car, just a POS one from the store with bandaids a glove and some tape.

Where are courses available that would teach useful knowledge for a situation like this?

Lol. Not really. If you guys were in nursing school (or thinking about it) I could probably swing it. But HIPAA would probably make it difficult to get civilians in who just want to learn about GSWs.

If you have any questions though, feel free to throw them my way.

Also look at Dark Angel, they have courses all over the US.

http://darkangelmedical.com/training/

I took this class and it was great, but being right there when everything happened I can tell you that shit does you know good unless you can keep it up to date. I had forgotten a lot of what I was taught especially for something like a chest wound.

I disagree with your initial evaluation. It felt like it took forever to get someone to step up and start working on the guy. I ended up just grabbing supplies as people asked for them after they started working.

I'm looking into updating my training as well.

We do weekly refreshers here on Tac-Med/T-CCC. Just as Howard said, if you don't use it you lose it. I love learning the stuff and keeping up with it, so much so I am most likely going to attain my EMT-B and eventually P. Good skill set to have regardless of your industry.

I took this class and it was great, but being right there when everything happened I can tell you that shit does you know good unless you can keep it up to date. I had forgotten a lot of what I was taught especially for something like a chest wound.

I disagree with your initial evaluation. It felt like it took forever to get someone to step up and start working on the guy. I ended up just grabbing supplies as people asked for them after they started working.

I'm looking into updating my training as well.

I was back at my truck and wasn't right there when it happened. I've also never experienced something like this before so everything seemed to move well.

I wouldn't expect a faster response on any other part of that range. Regardless the incident got me wanting to be in the know if something like this ever happens again. I can assume we're not the only ones that were there wanting to update our knowledge on an event like this.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Lol. Not really. If you guys were in nursing school (or thinking about it) I could probably swing it. But HIPAA would probably make it difficult to get civilians in who just want to learn about GSWs.

If you have any questions though, feel free to throw them my way.

We fire people for just taking pictures of patients, I could imagine how that would go. lol

We fire people for just taking pictures of patients, I could imagine how that would go. lol

Oh, I know. I think there's a grey area in there that education falls under, but I wouldn't want to test it. Its just not worth it. Not to mention the paperwork that's probably involved.

And pictures are a big (HIPAA) no-no.

Like I said though, if anyone's got questions about GSW management, feel free to ask. No CR fieldtrip, though. Lol.

I was back at my truck and wasn't right there when it happened. I've also never experienced something like this before so everything seemed to move well.

I wouldn't expect a faster response on any other part of that range. Regardless the incident got me wanting to be in the know if something like this ever happens again. I can assume we're not the only ones that were there wanting to update our knowledge on an event like this.

Thanks for saying Hi BTW ;)