VW settles lawsuit for 14.7B

Grudes

It's cheaper for VW to dump those cars and write off the cost instead of launching a massive effort to store and then rehab a bunch of used cars. Especially when they dump those cars back on the market it will hurt new car sales.

Maybe I'll sound like a jackass, but I guess I just don't care. There's enough other things that spew out more emissions than desired, and if I could get a check for 5k or whatever and still keep my perfectly functioning car, I'd do that.

It depends on your car and what the math comes out to. Why keep it for $5k when you could get $20k+ for it? If they have to fix it and it kills your mileage, in the long run it would be cheaper to just give it back and reinvest the cash into something else.

For instance in my situation, why would I keep mine for $5,100 when they will give me $28k for it and I walk away driving a car for free for 3-years. I can buy something new and not have to worry about the value tanking on the car keeping it.

so many people cannot do math.. you get one column or the other not both....

Beginning July 26, 2016, you can see the exact Buyback and Approved Emissions Modification payments for your car by visiting http://www.VWCourtSettlement.com and entering your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), mileage, and other required information.