WTF is wrong with people?

RC K9

How do you allow your kids to get to this point? I have been watching shameless and it's like a couple of Frank Gallaghers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/15/parents-arrested-after-7-year-old-who-hadnt-eaten-for-days-tried-selling-teddy-bear-for-food-police-say/

How do you allow your kids to get to this point?

Drugs. Alcohol. Some dependency that robs people of "giving a fuck". In b4 conservative rants on "personal responsibility"

I am impressed with the police for knowing the difference between Animal urine and human just by smelling. Lol.

This is not an isolated thing. Stuff like this happens every day in this country, and doesn't always get caught. UNICEF cites that 3.1 million children under 5 die from malnutrition. If there is some positive that comes from reporting articles like this, hopefully it is that it causes people to give to charities that focus on child nutrition, volunteer their time to providing assistance in their communities, and maybe rethink their stance on funding public assistance programs.

Drugs. Alcohol. Some dependency that robs people of "giving a fuck". In b4 conservative rants on "personal responsibility"

I am impressed with the police for knowing the difference between Animal urine and human just by smelling. Lol.

This is not an isolated thing. Stuff like this happens every day in this country, and doesn't always get caught. UNICEF cites that 3.1 million children under 5 die from malnutrition. If there is some positive that comes from reporting articles like this, hopefully it is that it causes people to give to charities that focus on child nutrition, volunteer their time to providing assistance in their communities, and maybe rethink their stance on funding public assistance programs.

When you say "robs", did you actually mean "people voluntarily stop giving a f*ck by voluntarily making a decision to give develop and give into there self-created dependencies?"

Because understanding personal responsibility is absurd. It's everyone else's fault I behave like a piece of sh*t. It's everyone else's fault I have this needle in my arm and my kids starve. It's everyone else fault I drink like a fish and my kids live in deplorable conditions.

When you say "robs", did you actually mean "people voluntarily stop giving a f*ck by voluntarily making a decision to give develop and give into there self-created dependencies?"

I don't think people really understand how much a chemical dependency changes a person mentally. How much it impairs decision making and obscures things that would be obvious to generally any other human being. Stack on that some form of mental or physical illness that is driving the behavior and it's hard to not see it as a "robbery" of the senses of a sort - even though they voluntarily engaged in the activity, I don't know if they agreed to give up as much as they end up. It's not like illegal drugs, or even alcohol come with a warning label about how bad it can really get and how much more difficult it is to stop.

Spend time with any real recovering drug addict and the overwhelming majority take responsibility for their actions, but almost all of them will tell you - they never saw how bad it could get it coming.

I just don't like this concept that people use "personally responsibility" as a way of not showing compassion to people in bad situations. You ask how it gets this bad? it gets this bad because eventually it stops being a voluntary action and it becomes all consuming.

Because understanding personal responsibility is absurd. It's everyone else's fault I behave like a piece of sh*t. It's everyone else's fault I have this needle in my arm and my kids starve. It's everyone else fault I drink like a fish and my kids live in deplorable conditions.

I don't think anybody here is saying "its everyone else's fault". Or rather It's anyone's fault at all. It's a slightly positive turn for a really set of tragic circumstances, that was probably set in motion by another set of tragic circumstances, that is part of a larger set of problems in this world that maybe we aren't addressing in as efficiently as we could. Maybe the point isn't to blame anyone but to look at the situation, feel horrified, and figure out how to contribute.

How do you allow your kids to get to this point? I have been watching shameless and it's like a couple of Frank Gallaghers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/15/parents-arrested-after-7-year-old-who-hadnt-eaten-for-days-tried-selling-teddy-bear-for-food-police-say/

Sadly, you don't know the half of it and most people don't. It's easier to ignore or to pretend that it's not a problem in our country so it always comes as a surprise to those uninformed who might actually care.

I'm no longer amazed at the amount of opinion and resolve so many others in this country have about this kind of shit but have never experienced it in any form on their own. It's also very easy to see who falls into that category the moment they open their mouths.

(This isn't directed at you Ryan, just using your quote as a jumping off point.)

Sadly, you don't know the half of it and most people don't. It's easier to ignore or to pretend that it's not a problem in our country so it always comes as a surprise to those uninformed who might actually care.

I'm no longer amazed at the amount of opinion and resolve so many others in this country have about this kind of shit but have never experienced it in any form on their own. It's also very easy to see who falls into that category the moment they open their mouths.

(This isn't directed at you Ryan, just using your quote as a jumping off point.)

Maybe some of us are smart enough to not experience on our own. "Person A touches fire. Person A get's burned. Person B sees all this. Person B has determined they should not touch fire, because they saw what happens when people do."

I know way too many people living in misery, incarcerated, and dead because of drug and alcohol abuse. Family members included. Is compassion called for. Sure. Indeed we should show compassion and give 2nd chances. But there is a difference between making a bad decision, and it being a slippery slope you need help out of. It's another to make it a lifestyle to make bad decisions.

My cousin...who has been in and out of jail more times than I can count for drugs and theft doesn't want to get help. She get's just enough help to satisfy the state because the state gives her money and pays for her apartment! She doesn't talk about how hard it is to stop being an addict. She makes excuses and says it's not her fault because it's genetic. There was nothing she could do to prevent becoming an addict.

At some point you just have to adult and get your sh*t together.

Maybe some of us are smart enough to not experience on our own. "Person A touches fire. Person A get's burned. Person B sees all this. Person B has determined they should not touch fire, because they saw what happens when people do."

I think this oversimplifies it way too much. It's more like Person B sees Person A touch a match and sees them feel alive and end up with a little singe. So person B touches a match which causes them to touch more matches, which eventually makes them feel pain when they are not touching matches which leads them to having 3rd degree burns over 50% of their body. Then they find person C who is also in pain from not touching matches and that leads to them creating persons D, E, and F, whom have no interest in matches (yet) so B an C view them as secondary to their match fixation.

Person Q sees all this and doesn't even look at matches out of fear and for the rest of their life says "well you shouldn't play with matches".

I think that covers it.

I know way too many people living in misery, incarcerated, and dead because of drug and alcohol abuse. Family members included. Is compassion called for. Sure. Indeed we should show compassion and give 2nd chances. But there is a difference between making a bad decision, and it being a slippery slope you need help out of. It's another to make it a lifestyle to make bad decisions.

My cousin...who has been in and out of jail more times than I can count for drugs and theft doesn't want to get help. She get's just enough help to satisfy the state because the state gives her money and pays for her apartment! She doesn't talk about how hard it is to stop being an addict. She makes excuses and says it's not her fault because it's genetic. There was nothing she could do to prevent becoming an addict.

At some point you just have to adult and get your sh*t together.

Compassion isn't just about "2nd chances" and "being an adult". Sometimes it is understanding that from the point the dependency takes hold that person is just not going to be able to take care of themselves ever again. You can prop them up to the point where they are "less dependent" to stay clean but they always need the support network to maintain it. And that is if they are ready to face the thing they are running from that led them to chemical dependency (which can sometimes be the things they have done as an addict - so it's cyclical).

I am not judging, I'm just saying it's a really really fucked up and complex situation and one that most people never fully understand. Even if they have been through it with family and friends (and let's be honest - most probably have at some point or another).

I volunteer at the Reeb center and this very case is very very common here in central ohio. Summer time is the worst time for kids because they literally depend on school to provide the meal(s) for the day. During the summer we have young kids like this all the time stop in to eat. The other day we had close to 400 come through for soup and the majority of the people were kids under 13.

I volunteer at the Reeb center and this very case is very very common here in central ohio. Summer time is the worst time for kids because they literally depend on school to provide the meal(s) for the day. During the summer we have young kids like this all the time stop in to eat. The other day we had close to 400 come through for soup and the majority of the people were kids under 13.

I agree that the scope of kids in these situations is most likely far greater than most people know.